G12CV sounding muffled with marshall amps, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Filipe Soares, Dec 16, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd let you know that the G12 Century Vintage is now definitely discontinued.
    I emailed Celestion today and got confirmation.

2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I think I´ll put the CVs in one of the 1x12s and the EVH 50ws in the 2nd 2x12. Later I´ll think what to do with the v30 and the CV that won´t be in use.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Same Ohms? Combine!

4. JBA

JBA Active Member

It's so hard to compare without using each speaker in identical cabs side by side and flipping a switch back and forth or running a frequency response sweep (and even this gets tricky with axial response).. I've posted a link of the CV vs a 65 since this gent does proper comparisons. I seem to remember him doing a CV vs V30 but can't find it right now.. I'll see if I can find it and post that link too. This video best matches what I hear in room comparing these two speakers in identical cabs. Not knocking your mixing and match because it's understandable that you (anybody) wants the best combination of your available gear..

5. JBA

JBA Active Member

SkyMonkey likes this.
  6. Filipe Soares

I'm hearing it through my monitors so I won't have the excuse of "my headphones sounded like shit" .

I'm assembling one of the CVs in one of my 1x12, the other one (identical) have a V30. so I'll be able to compare fairly. I really dig how it sounded in a 1x12, because the lack of bass response was compensated by the speaker.

It's a pity I'm really busy at work, as you've suggested I could run a frequency sweep to measure the differences (but the room will interfere). maybe in a weekend to see.

meanwhile, my 2x12 issue is solved. I've bought 2 celestions evh 50w and now I have the sound I had in my mind for this amp.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. JBA

JBA Active Member

:run:

8. JBA

JBA Active Member

I'm going to buy up all the remaining stock, send one to Johan Segborn and hope he likes it then retire off $400 Century Vintage speakers Mou-a hahaha... Mou-a hahaha! (Think Doctor Evil laugh)

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. Filipe Soares

send one to ola englund too...

JBA and SkyMonkey like this.
  10. Filipe Soares

I´ve put one of the G12CVs in a 112 cab and played through the 5150III and the actually EQ I´ve used to get into my tone says a lot about the speaker

Bass: Noon
    Mids: 3 o´clock
    Highs: 9 o`clock

that´s a very radical eq, but it sounded GREAT. It might be tweaked a little, but it´s clear to me that this speaker lacks highs and there´s tons of mids and lows.

For a very lightweight 1x12 that´s great.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. Filipe Soares

more news:

I´ve played a lot today with the 1x12 with the G12CV and I got an amazing tone with the 5150. this spear differs a lot from a v30 and I thought it should not be like that. For that, I´ve overlayed the V30 and G12CV response curves and they´re pretty close from each other.

v30 g12cv.jpg

I still don´t know whats going on, now I want to do a frequency sweep in both of them to see what the hell.

12. JBA

JBA Active Member

And this is comparing them with identical cabs, same resistance speaker.. Same age (not purchaced 5 years apart) and roughly the same play time (like one dosent have 5 hrs and the other 100)? Impedance curves should be close on these two but if they are not then different tubes, but mostly amps can interact more or less (by design) with the impedance of the speaker thus alterating the systems overall final frequency response. This interaction is almost not even worth considering in ss amps (typical designs that aren't attempting to match tube output stages). The other thing is I once got a pair of new greenbacks that were different from the get go.. Resonant frequency was off on one like 9hz too low. It had a much looser compliance brand new and even after break in. I've only ever run into this once in car audio, and no major variance in Hifi or pro audio systems I've designed. Batch changes over the years... Absolutely, but that is what it is. Odds are I put someone to sleep here.. sorry :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. Filipe Soares

the cabinets were not the ¨same¨, but they were the same model (both ampegs 1x12 bought in the same day). I bought the v30s new with the ampeg cabs, but I´ve bought the neos used. i think they must be in the same ballpark.

I think i´ll use a class d amp and a frequency sweeper to see it in detail. with the v30s I´m happy with everything at noon, with the neos is a big cut in mids and a big boost in highs.

14. JBA

JBA Active Member

CV's likely have more miles than you think. Huge difference between my old v30's and newer one. Keep the one you like best and move on :)