Fuzzy Depression Is a Frustrating Mess

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by 8bit Barry, Feb 18, 2020.

1. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Member

I love tone - I love it all, from a 59 Les Paul through a Super Lead to Hendrix’s strat psychedelia to The White Stripes... tone benders, fuzz face, boutique fuzz - it's wonderful in the right hands and it inspires me.

Can I get any fuzz pedal that I buy to sound anywhere near? Not a chance. Theyre all shrill, uncontrollable toneless messy disasters and this whole driving me nuts.

I just bought a Fuzz Face Band of Gypsy's version after doing some online research. I put a strat tuned to D like Hendrix into the fuzz face, into my 100w Super PA on the verge of breaking up, click, and it sounds like utter garbage. The strat tone is gone, the depth is gone.

Playing with volume and fuzz on the pedal itself helped very little. Varying the strat volume cleaned it up just like all the videos I watched, but I am wincing at the sound with the volume back up. I tried it on my pedal board, in a pedal chain, on its own - press the button and goodbye any resemblance of tonal character, hello shrill face slicing fizz.

OK you could say that fuzz is not for me, but it is... I love the sound from Pro Guitar Shop demos etc and many a demonstration online as well as all the greats.

This will be my second pedal return... what the hell is going wrong...?

2. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Check out a germanium analog man sunface. If you push that with his beano boost it adds clarity to the fuzz for nice solo tones. His fuzz's also clean up with the rollback of the volume knob.

8bit Barry likes this.
  3. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Do you have your amp setup a certain way and leave it like that always?

Fuzzes can be tricky. I'd suggest messing with all controls, both pedal and amp. Maybe what ends up sounding good is an amp setting that you would never use by itself, but with the pedal it can be the settings needed to get a good fuzzy sound.

This isn't practical if you intend to turn the pedal on and off regularly as you'll have to re-adjust the amp. If you plan on doing that, maybe finding a middle ground will be a solution. Something that can sound at least decent with the fuzz either off or on.

But just to make sure a good fuzz sound can be achieved, go crazy with all EQ and gain settings. Trying different guitars can yield different results as well.

mickeydg5 and 8bit Barry like this.
  4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Its not too shrill here. What are you doing?

5. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Member

I’m certain those clips are not through a Marshall - the Pro Guitar Shop clip is through a Fender Deluxe I think - I cant get anything like it.

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

finding the right fuzz is a pure BITCH. good damn luck

lespaul339 likes this.
  7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i ended up with this one and its very nice.

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Yes Andy uses a DRRI.
    BP

Nik Henville likes this.
  9. lespaul339

Ain't that the truth! I went through a few different fuzzes before I found the one that was for me.

ricksdisconnected and 8bit Barry like this.
  10. RCM 800

RCM 800 Active Member

I think I have 3 now. Dont like any of them lol.

ricksdisconnected and 8bit Barry like this.
  11. lespaul339

I'm telling you guys.....analogman

BanditPanda and 8bit Barry like this.
  12. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I have a Wampler Sovereign and it's pretty cool however I also have to stomp on the Tychobrahe Octavian as it is essential for those moments where I have to go all Band of Gypsies. Definitely makes for a more genuine Hendrix sound even tho I suck. It's the real deal but it is noisy as shit.
    Have you checked out Roger Mayer's stuff?

13. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Member

Well I experimented for a hour or so and the nearest I came to it working was to put an overdrive in front of the Fuzz Face which smoothed it out.

I think my issue is perhaps the Super PA and it’s headroom. It’s got a generous amount of it and as this fuzz is bright with no tone control, that’s what you get - bright and aggressive.

As for the fuzz volume, you can hit the Super PA with a lot of it and unlike other amps that would compress that increase (and as YouTube videos demonstrate), the fuzz just becomes louder and louder. Again headroom is the issue. Put an overdrive in front of it and things calm down considerably.

Im going to try it with my Fender Princeton tomorrow, maybe I’ll get some Andy Pro Guitar Shop influence going before I decide...

BanditPanda likes this.