front loaded vs rear loaded cabs

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by mike mike, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mike mike

mike mike Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I just wanted to know the sound difference and the technical difference between front loaded and rear loaded cabinets. And In front loaded cabs, are the speakers closer to the grill cloth? Btw, I play death metal, and I like punchy articulat sounds. And I saw that ENGL and Diezel now do front loaded cabs

2. T-Bird

T-Bird New Member

Hi.

Front loaded a is superior cab design, but in a case like Marshall cab grille cloth, unbelievably expensive to make.

The sound differences are none, if the construction is solid on both styles.

Regards
    Sam

3. eddiegj

eddiegj New Member

I'm going to have to disagree with this. A friend had me check out his Peavey PA column. Sounded like the horn was out or something. It was a front load speaker enclosure with a velcro'd grill. The back to the cabinet was not removable. To get to the wires you had to reach in through the speaker holes. Seemed to be a real cheap way of making a cabinet. So... it is my belief that front loaded speaker enclosures can be made without a lot of additional expense. Further more it is my understanding that since front loaded speakers are mounted closer to the user/audience without having any deflection at all other than the grill cloth, the speakers should sound different. Weather they sound better or not is up to the person using them. I am guessing that the sound would be less laser like and fill the room better. Hey Marshall Cabs are ment for the big rooms.

4. mike mike

thanks guys. but i doubt its a cheap way of doing it if the ENGL and Diezel cabs are made that way. and they probably both put out alot, i'm just not sure in sound differences.

huh look at this here. a diezel cab with the front baffle removed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. eddiegj

eddiegj New Member

:hmm: I didn't say your cabinet was cheaply made if anything I was dissing Peavey. Rock on dude with that killer cab. :headbanger:

6. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

Hey Mike,

I have a "Road" 4-12 made by Korg in the 70's that is front loaded. It is much more "punchy" than my rear loaded Marshall cabs, and carries a lot more bass response as well.

[​IMG]

It is built like a brick sh*t house as well. It looks to be similar in build and dimensions to your Diezel.

7. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Off topic a bit, but I have to take exception to this.

If ANY company can save money, especially a company that has become a little bigger, they will eventually find a way to cut costs and increase the bottom line. So if front loading saves them a few bucks a cab, it may become the norm....not something based on sound or sonic properties.

That being said, that cab looks great and I'm sure it sounds good. Only thing about front loaded cabs with no removable rear baffle is like eddie says: Harder to service perhaps if you need to get to wiring/jacks. Beyond that, if it sounds good, Rock It! :cheers:

8. mike mike

right on bro. yeah they also make a rear loaded cab. they are the same price, but they say good things about the Front Loaded version

9. alhayesmusic

alhayesmusic New Member

If things are equal equal - I REPEAT - IF ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL, then rear loaded offers more mid scoop, tighter lows. Front offers more mid punch. If you look at the cabinet designs from the 70's and 80's (I'm old enough to have seen them), the cabinet designers started to go rear loaded when metal started to rise in popularity. Several boutique makers will offer both depending on the sound you are after, the speaker used, etc. The difference, like most "sound preferences," is completely subjective. Some makers, like KMD, made cheaper cabinets with front loaded speakers. They could put stamped steel, round, grill covers on the front, seal the rear baffle, and hide the fiber board construction of the cheap cabs. I used to claim to prefer front loaded. Now I just listen to the cab. If I like it, then I buy it. Stay warm in New England! Have a great week, everyone!

10. alhayesmusic

alhayesmusic New Member

One last note. Sealing the rear panel is not a cheaper way to make cabinets. It does, however, allow for the cabinet to be sealed tighter from the factory, and, if the handles are sealed well and the front baffle is well made, then the speaker cab should be TIGHT.

11. mariosoldano

mariosoldano Active Member

hi

it is not cheaper do make a front loaded cabinet.

it is easier to change a speaker from a front loaded cab (only 4 screws)

it is easier to mic it because you see the speaker

it sounds the same

lowinput likes this.
  12. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Also some things to add.
    Hi-Fi speakers are mostly front loaded.
    Like Mariosoldano mentioned, front loaded speakers are easier to access.
    And Alhayesmusic, front loaded cabinets are sealed better.

The problem is that most guitar speakers come with premounted front gaskets which means rear loading. In order to front load these speakers it would cost to special order gasket (kits) or special order rear gasketed speakers for front loading. There are some manufacturers that supply both front and rear gaskets for either type of mounting.

13. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

With rear loading, I think more sound is transferred through the wood thus giving a fuller sound. And to it's easier to make because you don't have to make a separate grill baffle.
    And that baffle rattles around sometimes if not done properly.

14. lowinput

lowinput New Member

I hear a difference with the 1960DM from utube clips. could it be that they have turned the amp up?

15. metromutt

metromutt Active Member

I've always felt one of the biggest tonal differences with front load was the fact that the steel chassis sits on the baffle wood as opposed to a cork gasset. Try putting your guitar against a door and strum, then sling a mag between both. Don't try it with a mag full of hooters though.

16. zenfly

zenfly Well-Known Member

MartyStrat54, lowinput and Micky like this.
  17. lowinput

lowinput New Member

metromutt, I just got a front loaded cab, and the speakers have the cork on both sides of the metal frame. I guess they made the speakers better back in 1974.

18. Hillcountry

Hillcountry New Member

You can mount speakers from the rear just not in public.

flashtilley, zenfly and Micky like this.
  19. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Boy, I must have missed this thread in 2010, but I have to say both the old and current comments are really, really bad.

Some of you are actually stating that 3/4 inch difference in the speaker placement makes a sonic difference. :wow:

And like Mickeydg5 said, if a speaker is front mounted, it has the appropriate gasket. They do not mount the speaker without a gasket.

Some of you guys are smoking some really good pot.:naughty::cool::naughty:

zenfly likes this.
  20. Lyv2Ryd

Lyv2Ryd New Member

Its alot easier to put your screwdriver thru the cone while front mounting. It sucks!! For that reason alone I like rear loading:)