For Those Of You Who Gig Larger Marshall’s...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Crazytrain513, Nov 12, 2018.

1. mikebinthesky

mikebinthesky Member

Be prepared for the soud guy to be cool or not so cool-work through a couple of different loud and quieter settings and have those ready for sound check.I can remember times in larger venues where I thought my sound was crap but the people i trusted out front said that it was the great-get ready to feel the power of bass and drums under your feet :)

2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I think you are over thinking it. That big room will soak up all of that DSL 40 combo amp in no time. Just let the soundman do his job and you will be fine. Just setup like you normally do and the soundman will take care of it. BTW, be prepared for that first chord at soundcheck when you hear your guitar thru that PA. Shwing!

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  3. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

use the pres & res to adjust my crunch and palm mutes to have the same impact as i would at a higher volume. They are very usable for adjusting bass flubb and treble pierce. A Marshall trick i use is my treble down a lil and presence adjusted to taste.The key factor you cant change is what volume the band will be set at. Get to that base line and work from there on tone. Also..what is going on playing alone is not applicable...you are an instrument that needs to sit in the proper EQ range and Marshall is already the best at this. Its why a v30 is a great speaker live and recording but piercing at home. Get the band layered and separated into each mix range that is a great help..dont fight the bass player or bury the singer. A good mixed band sounds very professional and each of you sit right in the mix and really can work together. It kills me cause i like my amp dimed..but it just is the way it is...also mixed right..ear fatigue is way down. Good luck..you got a great amp to handle any gig there is..but nothing beats the good ol days...marshall stack one side of drummer Ampeg refrigerator other ....

4. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I gig with my DSL40CR on a regular basis in bars and small clubs. I always use the 40 watt mode with the master(s) at around 11 oclock. Sometimes I turn down more depending on the room but I have a really loud drummer so if our guitars aren't loud enough, the audience will hear drums & bass only. :rolleyes:
    I use the green crunch channel with the gain between 2 & 3 oclock and the channel's volume around the same; It depends.

I think you'll be fine with that amp. You can get the sound you want at any volume, especially if you want to play quiet on stage for some reason.

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I use a 50w NMV with 69 4x12 for most gigs including that size. Still use the attenuator set to suit the room.
    Listen to the sound guy and FOH. Be nice to them as you want them as your friends. In a big venue with lots of bodies your amp sound will disappear and you will struggle to hear yourself. Make sure that you get good foldback mix with you in there too.

6. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Haven't gigged in years but went to one of my son's gigs in Cinci in a bar of about 150 - 300 people. The band after was a metal / sabbath flavor. Guitarist with a vintage SG into a 100w 1959 stack with a mix of 60a and 60b check cabs. I really thought it would be over the top for that room but as Neikeel posted lots of bodies attenuated the amp. We were standing about 1/3 back from the front, totally tolerable and he was pushing it with some dirt pedals but most likely not diming. He was mic'd and mixed appropriately for that gig.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

A friendly suggestion from me would be to put your amp on full power mode as half power mode IMHO does not do justice to your tone !

8. El Gringo

The Vintage 30 is an awesome speaker combined with my 2555X and it sounds righteous at home cranked into my 4x12 2551AV cab . My least favorite neighbor from next door offered to buy me lunch to talk about issues at home and I told him I was "busy" This clown is on some nuisance list with the Police department because of his constant harassment of us . Can you imagine ?

9. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor like that. He threatens my kids and then when i confront him about it he runs in the house and calls the cops. He dug up my front yard so I had a locater put a marker on the property line. He called the cops about that too. So when I crank my Marshall he can call all he wants and the cops ignore it. I knew when I bought the stack that as long as I aim it at his house I will never have the cops show up.

10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

You are at the mercy of a competent sound engineer on most cases.

11. dpaterson

dpaterson Member

Oh man I love that!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Regards,

Dale.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  12. El Gringo

Exactly like I aim at this clowns house and all that is between us is a 2 foot solid brick firewall . Damn jerk idiot ,how he thinks he is going to negotiate his way out of this mess . I forgot to mention he throws yard waste in our yard on a daily basis and there are some other long standing issues as well . I have spoken to my attorney about this and when I have the "disposable cash " I am going after him for property damage and his abhorrent behavior to my family . When I have had words with him earlier this year he told me , no he begged me to call the cops which it is not a police issue . So of course because he was begging I refused on principal !

Ade2064 and JacksonCharvelAddict like this.
  13. tidbit

tidbit Member

My advice as both a performer and former soundman, don't dime it. Match the drummer for volume. If your soundman has a system that's appropriate for the venue, you will gain nothing by over cranking the amp except to make a mess of the sound on the stage. You will force the soundman into either cranking the monitors so loud that the vocal mics will feed back or forcing everyone on stage to suffer not hearing the vocals at all (or some of the other instruments as well for that matter).
    Even worse, the bleed into other mics can be so bad that the entire mix will suffer.

If you are only thinking of yourself, crank away. If you care about putting the entire band performance first, be reasonable and match the drums. The sound system can take care of the balance after that.

14. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

preach truth...match the drummer.....amen

15. coyote

coyote Active Member

The question pertains to the requirements of “sound guys”. Many of them seek as low a stage volume as possible, in order that they can control every element of how the sound gets presented to the audience.

I don't like those guys. They want to be the star....

The better sound guys will have the band find its comfortable stage sound, then take that and roll it out to the audience. But if you don’t have your own sound guy, odds are that any gig could end up having one of those control-freak sound guys running - and often ruining - the show.

16. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

My lack of understanding the OP had nothing to do with the sound guy, or how much they may want the guitars dialed back. What I didn't get was using a 40 watt DSL combo (a master volume amp) in a room that size, and worrying about being too loud. A 100 watt SLP through a 4x12 (or 2) being too loud would make more sense. A DSL, which gets most of it's sound from the preamp, shouldn't be a problem to dial back (if necessary).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  17. GrahamL

GrahamL Well-Known Member

All great and amazing ideas and solutions above. One really cheap tip not mentioned is having your average pillow laid against your combo speaker. A sheet of foam looks much cooler though but you would be surprised by how much it muffles the volume and the ear piercing highs.

Good luck on the gig, let us know how it goes :band:

P.S. Two sheets of these foam sheets (below) should be fine as in insert/rest in front of your combo... maybe try a few out. I am using one of our L 14 x W 4 x H14 couch cushions ;) Have your cab leaning back to keep them in place or use a bit of velcro tape.

You can try & return if they don't do the job ;)
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bonded-...tic-Panels-Package-of-6-60600-11212/204153700

18. GrahamL

GrahamL Well-Known Member

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Could not of said it better Cheers brother

BftGibson likes this.
  20. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Would it also not muffle your tone??