For The Dual Reverb Haters...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bloodrock, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Is the tone REALLY in the hands? Or are the DR amps over hated.

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, some people hate these amp... hmmm!!

Mitchell Pearrow, BftGibson and tce63 like this.
  3. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

I love my 4100!

4. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Love JCM900 amps. My favorites JCM900 are the 4100DR, but the SL-X were pretty good, too.

I don't mind any DR hate: the hate is one factor that keeps the prices down, and I hate paying a lot for an amp more than I hate the hate talk.

5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Yeah! Loved it! A bit twangy but I still enjoyed!

Excluding the Sab which sounded awesome.I

Actually enjoyed it all.

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

And no. Tone is the gear. These guys worked this shit out prior. Lots of practice and dialing.

Glad we get to gush over a Marshall...which is the only amp I gush over.

Badass!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

Hated by a lot of bedroom players / people who've heard they suck on the internet / people who tried one once, quietly in Guitar Center / people who had one with the wrong tubes and no idea if the amp was biased correctly etc.

Played 2 gigs over the weekend with my band, both me and the other guy in my band used DR full stacks (both use 1960AV / BV cabs), volume on 5 (mines a 100 watter). Sounded awesome, sound guy said they were loud AF but sounded killer.

3 other bands on the second gig we played were also using 900 DRs. There were a total of 5 JCM900s on the stage. Great for live bands, not so great for bedroom players.

Also, up until recently I had all 3 (DR, MkIII and SLX). Just sold the MkIII and am selling my SLX as well. The DR is my favourite of the 3 and the one i’m keeping.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

HAHA , Good for you's! Using full stacks in this wussified day and age of micro penis' I mean micro amps! LOL Spit right in the face of the hipsters and the combos,probably made them squirm in theyre skinny jeans. Does my heart proud. Were your amps miked through the system?

9. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

:shrug:

That tone did nothing for me, though the playing is great. Everyone has different ears and likes. That is a very sanitized Marshall sound to me. Too pristine, no raunch.

I had the 100W DR head when they were brand spanking new. I traded my 2204 head in on it .I was rural and got to crank the crap out of any of my tube amps and jam with my band when I wanted.

I couldn't sell it fast enough. I don't like the tonality. It's all woofy low mids, annoyingly plump compressed bass* and crystal clear high end presence. It didn't have the bark and balls of my JMP 2104 or my 2204. If I needed more gain with the 2104/2204, I stomped on my TS10, D+, or SOD.

I tried to return it and get my 2204 back. It had sold.

If I'm going 900 series, I'm going Mark III. It's a little darker, but it has more crunch and less compression than the DR.

*This can also be an issue with the D/TSL.

SonVolt likes this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

My only experience with the DR is a 50 watt version my buddy John has, he brought it over to my place and I could get what I wanted out of it, and he could dial it the way he wanted it, I never sat down and tried dialing in multiple tones, but then that doesn’t mean that there not there! Cheers

11. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

yup mic'd through the house PA. Second night was a large venue, hence no issue having amps turned up super loud. Regularly play smaller places too, still using fullstacks but usually with the volume dropped down a bit. I've also used half power mode occasionally to compensate, though I don't like the feel of the amp as much in these modes.

Could argue it's us with the micro penises, compensating etc. Don't care though, sounds cool, looks cool, and we're known as "the band that uses the massive amps". Plenty of other bands have said they're jealous of them, as they're often using combos. Probably not jealous of load out though lol, that part does suck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  12. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Yup, heard too many of them sound good to not be a fan!

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

There's a reason why they were on so many backlines......

14. Mitchell Pearrow

True that brother, a Marshall is a Marshall, and anybody with more than ten minutes of time, should be able to coax out what they need! Cheers

15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i wont play unless i can use my 4x12 and come to think of it last mini tour..nothing under a half stack was used by anybody..saw a fender twin overheat out side once..we got 2 fans and quick ran em to the amp and i rode the amp volume for my friend as the sound guy made the adjustments..it was like the song was playin and he was gone..man that tolex couldnt even be touched...it was that hot

Crikey likes this.
  16. Crikey

Crikey New Member

Cool. Love mine. 4100dr. With eq pedal in fx loop it keeps up easily with 800. Some complain about the drive but mine sounds great and no need for a pedal. If you cant get a good sound out of a dr you might need to have your hearing checked and try different sized rooms.

BftGibson and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Crikey

Crikey New Member

Used to run backline and on one show had to sound check dr for a band in large outdoor amphitheater. That amp sounded frickin awesome through the monitors and mains when soundman ws setting levels.

BftGibson and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

I bet it did, And a big welcome to the forum, you are now a big part of the Marshall family! Cheers Mitch

19. Crikey

Crikey New Member

Ever try an e in effect loop? I can dial almost any sound

20. Crikey

Crikey New Member

Thanks Mitch!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.