For The Cork Sniffin Tone-wood Freaks $$ !

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Rokinroller, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I loved a '76 that is 9.29 pounds, but I also know a good strat can do it too! But NOW folks don't know or don't remember that it was actually a GOOD thing to have a heavy LP..with brass everything on it! but too heavy is too heavy!!

Lots of fads in the guitar world for sure!

What boost do you like..I have had great luck with Electro Harmonix LPB-1..it really fattens up a single coil, and drives the pre-amp nicely.

ricksconnected likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Can't speak for others but for me it means a reply that I decided not to post.
    In order to get rid of the " reply " box you have to post something so "." it is.
    BP

tone seaker likes this.
  3. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

What amazes me is the amount of debate, and the level of animosity that has been generated by this discussion (nothing that was discussed in this thread) over the years and across different channels. There are a few out there who have really dedicated a significant amount of time debating their side. Rob Chapman, Will's Easy Guitar, and who could forget Scott Grove. I think the members in this Forum have done a pretty decent job of not letting this get out of hand (although there have been a couple fairly hairy conversations over the years), but nothing like I have seen on other sites.

So, I guess my question is why it matters so much? If there was enough difference between wood, I don't think there would be any room for debate; people could not deny the fact that wood impacts the tone. So if there is a difference in tone, it would have to be a pretty small one, right? So at this point, I would have to assume its more about proving who is right?

Someone said it earlier - by the time you add different pickups, strings, picks, pick technique, cables, effects, amp noise, etc., I couldn't imagine that the type of wood could ever really be differentiated. You start getting into high gain areas and I would think it would be even more difficult to hear any differences. Just my :2c:.

Rokinroller likes this.
  4. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I was going to add if your girl was having one of her moments as something that makes a difference, but that's more on the amp side of things. The louder she is, the louder my amp is. :D

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The debate is the dance around two things; 1. Wood making the difference in tone, 2. Shape making the difference in tone.

It is a sum of all parts, but no one can explain with absolute certainty, why two guitars with the same shape, hardware, pickups, amps, cables, wiring, but different woods sound different. Because for every one person that hears obvious differences, there's someone with the exact opposite experience ready to throw down. :D

Coronado and ricksconnected like this.
  6. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

I can tag along on this idea ghost. :applause:

7. Coronado

:rofl:HA! Brother, aint that the truth! :run:

8. Coronado

:rofl:HA! Brother, aint that the truth! :run:

9. Coronado

(Sorry guys, not sure why it posted twice...)

10. ricksconnected

it happens.

11. ricksconnected

it happens.

12. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    All I know is my maple neck and rosewood are identicale except for colors and neck and any one that hears them both will tell you the maple is brighter and twangier :)

Is it me or is this topic going around in circles saying the same things over and over again :)

John BNY likes this.
  13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I'd say the OP got his moneys worth lol

14. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

It's going around in circles -- pickup can only hear the vibrating string group; wood plays a significant role in the way the guitar tone is amplified group; and wood plays a role, but not very significant when considering all other things that can affect tone.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? You are going to buy the guitar that produces the best tones for you. Who cares if the tones are generated by a particular wood, or the PAF speaker.

ricksconnected and Rokinroller like this.
  15. Rokinroller

Rokinroller Well-Known Member

Its all a very interesting and passionate topic . We are lucky these days to have such a wide choice when it comes to buying or even building a decent guitar made of any type of wood , or even any other material we would want to use . Even the cheaper import ones are not that bad anymore , with the off-shore CNC factories and all . Indonesia , China , Korea .... for a youngster starting to play today , there is alot more choice and value than back in the 60's .. per/say . As for "tonewood" I think its a cool term ! I know my guitars are made of the very best tonewoods . They sound and play great and have strong , solid necks with perfect tuning stability . Even if they all do sound like electric guitars , they all look , feel and sound different from one to the next . Love them all .

BanditPanda and ricksconnected like this.
  16. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree. The angle is excessive and should be decreased but the use of a scarf joint makes it stronger. Prices are premium for honor of saying "I play a Gibson." and that should be shown in design, technique, quality and craftsmanship.

ricksconnected likes this.
  17. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Not sure why I would make another attempt but here goes...
    The thing that really opened my eyes on this topic is when I tried to construct a "backup" Strat for my main gigging guitar. We all *know* that all you have to do is put the same pickups in the guitar and it will sound the same, right? :)
    WTH? How can a Strat with the same exact electronics sound clearly different???
    This led to constructing *many* guitars and learning what it sounds like when you swap a pickguard assembly from one to another, or swapping items like body, neck, bridge saddles, tuners, pots, etc. to see what sounds different. If you have tried these experiments you understand...

18. ricksconnected

I agree. its like Gibson doesn't want to evolve with the times
    and grow from a new way of doing things.
    it just honestly doesn't make sense to me. it seems a few slight tweaks
    here and there would really put them back on track and all caught up.
    could it really cost them that much in the pocket to do so?
    hell what do I know I'm just some ass behind a keyboard
    down south.

19. ricksconnected

one of the reasons I liked a lot of epi guitars over the yrs.

Rokinroller likes this.
  20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If Gibson would just make the necks out of maple the damn problem would become non-exsistant, and they could keep the headstock angle.

This reminds me of a story from Fender's history books. Leo insisted that Strat/Tele necks did not need a truss rod as the maple was stout enough to handle the string tension and still provide a suitable action, but his partner George Fullerton argued that the lack of the truss rod made Fender guitars look cheap compared to Gibsons. Fullerton won the argument and Leo took it one step further, He insisted the necks were rear routed ( when they could have easily placed them under the finger board) for truss placement and the rout covered with a mahogany strip which made it obvious that the truss rod was in there.

Fender also ran ads in the 50's showing Leo standing on a Fender neck between two chairs to show just how storng the maple neck was. This was pre-truss rod.

BanditPanda and ricksconnected like this.