Fluck It. Ordered A Dsl 20hr.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kutt, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. csand

csand Member

I think they hit it out of the park on the new DSLs

With 20w you can get those EL34s going at bar levels, or low power it if you have to play in some hipster coffee shop or some place where the music is background noise for people tapping their iPhones

Built in headphone/line out with cab sim for practice, low power modes, switchable FX loop, EL34s.. it's a pretty solid combination of stuff

I mean, I love my JCM dsl 50s too much to part with them, but I might sell my Code and replace with a 20h or 1h. Why can't I just be happy with what I have ever? FFS

slide222, Kutt and John BNY like this.
  2. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Member

New video:

shows the transformer layout near the end.

3. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I don't know, something about that jube that I just don't like. Seems to have a scratchy tone to it.. Maybe it's just the demo.

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Member

That demo is horrible. I really need to get my lazy a$$ to do a vid. Who sets their tone controls like that?? Really? I mean, WTF, put every knob at noon, with presence and resonance at zero???

But, yeah, that vid does not do those amps justice.

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I was going to say something no pres or res?? sounds like shit in person:)

6. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Whelp. It's here. Took my first Marshall family pic for kicks too.

I'd be lying if I said the jury isn't still out on mine. First and foremost, if there really is such as thing as tube burn-in (which I think there is) this amp can probably benefit from it. While I don't dislike it, things sound a bit more flat and "stuffy" than I expected and the low end leaves something to be desired thus far. I have the Bass and Resonance down around 9 o'clock. Anything higher and it just doesn't sound all that pleasant. Seems to get more woofy than punchy. Remember when you were a kid on Easter (for those of us who took part in that) and you bit into that big chocolate bunny thinking it was solid chocolate, then you're shocked to find out it's [gasp].... hollow!? Kind of that feeling. hahahhaa. But this is where putting some mileage on the output tubes might help so I haven't given up in the very short time I've had it.

So far I've run it through my 1960A with G12-35XC's, and my closed back Avatar 1x12 with a current production Chinese-made Greenback. I have other cabs I need to try it with. To my ears the amp sounds better with lead lines and a bit mushy with chords. But did I mention that the tubes probably need some burn in!? :)

A couple others have stated that it's shipping with JJ's. I haven't taken mine out yet to verify. They all have the Marshall logo silkscreened but I *think* I see the edge of the JJ logo on a sticker on the base of the output tubes. All the lettering faces the front of the amp so it's hard to see. While I like JJ's a lot, I must admit that my JCM 2000 and 2555X sound better with Shuguangs and EHXs, for the very reason I am scratching my head over this DSL 20HR.... JJ's sounded bit "stuffy" in my 100 watters. That same "stuffy" sound is what I'm hearing here. I'm not expecting it to sound like a higher end amp, but it needs to stand on its own as a budget 20 watter. This could all be a matter of a simple duet swap or preamp tube swap.

Don't expect shimmering Fender reverb either. It's good for a tad bit of depth but there's no doubt it's digital.

I'm only about 1 hour in and haven't even tried the FX loop or footswitch yet. If you're thinking about getting one don't get discouraged by my post. I'll report back when I have a bit more mileage on it. I was hesitant to even post since I haven't given the amp a fair shake yet, so this is just an initial report. Planning on hitting it hard this afternoon since I'm home today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fam1 (Medium).jpg

2d (Medium).jpg

J Saw, John BNY and jimmyjames like this.
  7. bad565ss

bad565ss Member

Roll tubes

jimmyjames and Kutt like this.
  8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

...and check bias...

9. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Active Member

Looks like they got the gold color right this time...that’s cool. Does the tolex seem more like classic Marshall or is the thin, plastic-like tolex they had on the previous Vietnam made DSL series?

10. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i'm looking forward to hearing some clips by talented players , and I don't want to head how high can the gain go all the time , when I buy/test I want to hear good tones and depth of sound , I did not listen to the above clip , I read what you said and avoided it but I agree with your opinion, generally michael
    when I listen to clips as soon I hear punky tones I turn off and you do not get the best tone /sound with the volume on 10

I was thinking about getting one of these new marshall amps myself so i'm keen to hear some clips

but this is my opinion , others may like what I don't , and each to their own

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    John BNY likes this.
  11. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

It's the overly shiny, plastic-like stuff. Even the power and standby switches feel like they are from the dollar store. But this is what I was expecting so no surprises on my end. Like most electronics, they are manufactured to tolerances intended to outlast the warranty by about 90 minutes.

jimmyjames likes this.
  12. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Here you go. Quick and dirty. My first YouTube video. My cherry is on your hands, Marshall Forum. :kiss:

HoboMan, pedecamp, John BNY and 2 others like this.
  13. cliffenstein

Bummer...so glad I have my JCM DSL!

14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I heard the mushy term from another member maybe they should of just left it my 40 kicks ass. There bias are usually too hot

15. Jimmyohio75

Jimmyohio75 Active Member

Sounds good to me. No flub to my ears. Of course I may be biased because I am loving my DSL20HR.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

sounded fine

17. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Sounds good and to my ears.
    Where was the gain set?

18. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

It was set a tad after Noon on the dial, but I kick in a smidge extra dirt around 56s with an OD pedal. I should mention that I was not trying to illustrate the "stuffy" sound I was talking about. My little S7 phone wouldn't even be able to pick those details up. It was just meant as a quick n' dirty demo dialed in about as good as I could get it.

19. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

If I had to fault the tone, Id say its was too much gain, probably your pedal.

20. cliffenstein

Sounds like it's not Red Channel 2 this time for the gain as it was on the DSL15 head, but Red Channel 1...way to go Marshall!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018