First Timer, Need Some Foot Switch Help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by DannyHescock, Jan 9, 2019.

1. DannyHescock

DannyHescock New Member

Hello - short time lurker and first time poster - please go easy! (longtime Fender combo user who just crossed over to the Marshall realm)
    I have a Marshall DSL100H and am looking for options to use a footswitch to get between modes. I see that there are multiple Marshall footswitches available (or out of stock) and am wondering which would work with my amp? I have the PEDL-90009 I believe, two switch for channel/reverb) but am looking for more control.

PEDL-91016 seems to be discontinued?
    PEDL -00021 seems to be readily available - but would it work?

Thanks for any help!

PS. I am currently sifting through the search options for the forum hunting for the answer...but am coming up empty, hence the new post.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. DannyHescock

DannyHescock New Member

Upon further digging it is not looking good - but I am reading that people are able to set up mode selection with midi...so the question seems to be morphing from which footswitch to how to properly use midi to switch modes in a DSL100h?

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum if it is the 100h and not the hr version, you would need to scan the official dsl40c information thread, I believe that one of the members had made this mod to the 2 button foot switch! Cheers Mitch

scozz, Jethro Rocker and DannyHescock like this.
  4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Yes you cannot use Midi stock nor switch between modes on the 100H. Unless you do some internal mods, it is what it is. The new series HR as Mitch pointed out, is capable of this feature.

5. DannyHescock

DannyHescock New Member

Thanks guys!

6. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@DannyHescock

First, welcome to the forum and the Marshall Realm!:cheers:

Next, for the most accurate tips, it will be important for you to identify whether you have the older DSL100H model or the newer DSL100HR? They are dramatically different animals with some very different features. If you're not sure by number/faceplate the "HR" has two Master Volumes and a midi jack on the rear, and the "H" does not.

With that said, when we get these amps, we usually want access to every feature, all the time, on the fly, with a footswitch! If you're like many of us, you will end up finding that you use it in a much simpler manner than you initially expect. Like one mode per channel, etc. Sure, it seems nice to have a "Swiss Army Knife" of amplifiers, but that's really a lot less convenient than it would seem. The real variety comes from your hands and imagination!

Let Us Know?
    Gene

El Gringo and scozz like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

This is really good advice! :cool:

8. DannyHescock

DannyHescock New Member

Hey Guys, thanks for the help.
    I have the 100H so it looks like it is what it is.
    I play in a cover band that plays everything - no joke, anything lol. We play 4 hours a gig and multiple times a month - so I am always chasing tones. I enjoy tube amps, I fall on that side of the fence when it comes to modeling/digital amps so those options dont tickle my fancy.
    Not that I was looking for a swiss army amp - but what I currently have with this amp is a great clean and a great modern heavy rock tone...not much in between. I have been toying with boosts in front of the amp as well as a ts to add another layer of low/medium gain but it hasnt settled in yet. (mind you I am using an explorer with a JB in the bridge...so rolling off in my situation gets me next to nothing lol I know, I know its my own fault)
    I was hoping I could somehow coax some of the crunch channel out of the amp in a user friendly way - but I am also the singer of the band, so my amp tends to be far away from my mic so pressing buttons on the face of an amp wont work.
    Im stoked on this amp - just hoped there might have been a foot switch that I could throw $1-150 at instead of yet another overdrive/ts pedal - alas - the search continues!