Finally Played The Code 50 Locally.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by blues_n_cues, Sep 14, 2016.

1. aryan

aryan New Member

Hello everybody I'm thinking buy another Marshall amp. I have a JCM2000 TSL122 and a DSL5. The thing is the TSL is too big and the DSL is too small LOL. What I need is a amp to small gigs and I liked the code50 but I also liked of Valvestate65. What do you think guys? Which one is better? They cost almost the same here in Brazil. Thanks in advance!

2. Solid State

Solid State Active Member

DSL40C

The Ozzk and aryan like this.
  3. David Elliott

David Elliott Member

I am loving mine. I finally got the footswitch, and grabbed one of the shared patches that I liked and could tweak. WGS Veteran 30 (8ohm) is in the mail. All in under $400, I am totally stoked. But, I am a bedroom player and learning, so what do I know.

PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose w/ Seymour Duncan JB and 59
    Schecter C-1 w/EMG 81 and 85
    Ibanez and Yamaha acoustics

Wylde Wah
    Digitech Drop (fucking love this thing! I tune my hardtail down a half step, sometimes a whole depending on the song, but then use the drop to get me down from there on both guitars. C# sounds killer and it's so easy to do).
    Digitech Whammy

4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

This definitely qualifies as a 'drive by' review. Did you actually think that box would sound like a JUB or 800? Marshall positioned this in the MG price range to be fair. You will never be able to dial in those gorgeous tones we all love but you should be able to dial usable marshall tones no problem. I know some guys say they gig with it but I find - with its onboard effects, amps, head phone jack, aux in etc - that it is a great little practice amp and great for learning and teaching songs.

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  5. aryan

aryan New Member

The problem is the price, I like the DSL series, as I told here I have one, but I understood.

6. Roland Meissner

Roland Meissner New Member

I use a MIDI-USB-host with my Code and with my Rocktron Midimate -footcontroller I can perfectly switch between 100 stored presets.

Antmax likes this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Active Member

Any chance of sharing what CC codes are used to cycle through the CODE presets with a midi pedal?

I have a DSL coming tomorrow so I built my code into a cabinet underneath where it usually sits but can't easily reach the controls lol.
    I can access them via USB but the editor doesn't have an simple way to cycle through the presets like you would want to with a footswitch.

8. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hey now, I resemble that remark. :coffee:

The Ozzk and crossroadsnyc like this.
  9. Roland Meissner

Roland Meissner New Member

Maybe this link helps: https://tj-marshallamps.s3.amazonaw...s/2016/12/CODE-Midi-Implementation-Chart-V2.1

10. Antmax

Antmax Active Member

11. Neodustin

Neodustin Member

I kinda liked the one I had the chance to play. However, I ended up settling on a Spider V.

12. Antmax

Antmax Active Member

I have a Spider V 60 under my desk with the wireless G10. It's a great piece of kit, especially with the full range speakers and the fact that you can play extremely quietly. Something the code doesn't do because the taper of the volume pots is terrible and doesn't really work below 1. The CODE has a fuller sound but is a bit fiddly to dial in with lots of noise where the V has a fantastic array of effects, extremely simple controls and is dead easy to find almost any tone.

If they could somehow combine the best of the two it would be unbeatable. Especially with the effortless inexpensive wireless.

13. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

crap amp & Marshall again fails to deliver on the 100c or 100 H..was supposed to be pushed back to March after 1.5 years... now it's August.. I feel sorry for you that preordered 2 freaking years ago........fuck Marshall...........The End.
    if they would like to reply.. we'd be glad to hear it.............

14. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Tried the Boss Katana yesterday.... Cheaper price and nails the Marshall tone way better than the Code IMO... suprisingly I'm not the only one that thinks so

15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Im with you Vin, Ive only tried a couple modlers over the years and they all sucked. I will never own another solid state amp, never!

16. Antmax

Antmax Active Member

The Boss Katana is a good deal and everyone seems to love it right now. Personally I like modelers for their flexibility. Tube amps get expensive quick once you factor in pedals that are often already modeled reasonably well on many modelers. A decent set of reverb, delay, overdrive pedals can easily cost you $200 - $400 used and chances are you will want a couple more than those. So modelers definitely have a convenience and price advantage.

For me the biggest problem with my CODE is that the physical knobs have an odd taper so the volumes don't work properly below 1.0 which is loud for late night playing. You HAVE to use the editors to get quieter (0.1 - 0.9). My DSL5c can be played quieter than the code without any fiddling.

17. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Active Member

I would comment that one must first ask themselves " what does a cranked marshall stack sound like" AC/DC? Jimi Page or Jimi Hendrix? Metallica? Then I would add that as a modeler user (Fractal and Amplifire..in addition to my many marshall heads and cabss) for me at least ALL the factory presets sucked as they didn't match what I thought a Marshall "should sound like". For me a marshall stack should sound like my JVM with some fairly high gain settings and also relatively bright. Took me a while of using shared presets and comparing them to my physical rig. Now, if the venues monitoring system is good enough, I will just take the Fractal AX8. I still think my jvm and 4-12 sounds a pinch better, but once in the mix the difference is even harder to hear...and the ability to show up to a gig with just a footpedal and a guitar is REALLY hard to beat. I am holding out for the code head and think it will be a blast. I know MY ideal marshall tone is not for everyone, but I do believe one must spend time learning modelers and how to program them and find patches that YOU like.

18. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Member

I did not bond with my Katana 212, at all.
    Its going back!

The Code on the other hand is very nice!
    I love all the Marshall tones, in such a little box!

The Code is a keeper!

Antmax and jstich like this.