Finally ordered the SV20h + SV212 cab!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Shane Stevenson, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Guess I’ll have to wait till about Friday to find out how it compares to my SC20H. I know this probably belongs in the official SV20 thread.

My goal with the SV will be running it at the edge of breakup and push it further for leads with a Tubescreamer. I like to keep things simple.

I hope it won’t be too loud being used this way. For reference, I’m comfortable playing my SC20 volume at around 9:30 to 10 o’clock and pre-amp at 2 o’clock (I think that’s 3 and 7 on the volume dial).

2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats, you are going to love it !

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  3. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your review, I’m picturing a SV20 stacked on my SC20H also.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Congrats, hope you love it!

Jon C, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Congratulations you’re going to be in another world, give us the full rundown and the, complimentary pics as well please.
    Cheers Mitch

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Congrats man! To get edge of breakup you will have to crank it to ear splitting levels, I highly recommend you get a JHS little black box master volume to run in your loop ($38 with discounts, is well worth it), this is what I'm doing and you can dial in whatever you want at any volume. I'm also using a ts9 with it and it provides a really nice crunch. :yesway:

7. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

The vertical cab is awesome! I have the SC212 and love it.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

9. Shane Stevenson

This is very interesting. So...what’s the difference between the jhs and an attenuator? Does the jhs color tone?

I have to be honest, I have never used an effects loop. Not even with my SC20. I’m just using different overdrive pedals in front of the SC. So it’s as simple as pushing the effects loop button down and plugging the jhs into each jack of the loop on the amp? Are you just placing the jhs on top of the amp?

One more dumb question, do you use two instrument cables or two speaker cables for the jhs? My guess would be instrument cables but I’d like to be sure.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. Shane Stevenson

I have that cab too, that’s the reason I’m buying it again but with differant cosmetics. Great cab after the speakers get broke in!

11. tce63

Yes the Cab sounds great, but it took +50 hours before it opened up and starting to sound great

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

Instrument cables will do the trick.

Congrats on the new head/cab! 'Tis a great amp for sure, sounds like you have a solid game plan for where you want to dial it in.

Also, it's relatively more expensive but a lot of guys on the forum (including me) are very high on the Weber Mini Mass attenuator. It has a 3db and 6db treble boost built in. I have mine set to 3db, which is about the perfect tone for me.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

It works well without coloring the tone, with this JHS in the loop it operates as a master volume for the amp, its a small box about half the size of a pedal and I sit it right on top of the amp, I use a couple patch cables just as you would to patch pedals on a pedalboard. An attenuator would allow you to crank the amp up to get heavier gain out of it and control the volume, the JHS will get you edge of breakup and at most low gain like Zep and ACDC while controlling your volume. They both will get you what you need its a matter of what you want to spend, JHS is about $38 and the Weber attenuator about $136, both are passive but operate totally different from one another.

[​IMG]

14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Does that JHS little black box work that good? Where do you buy them? I spill more than 38 bucks on a good weekend so I may try one?!

pedecamp, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Consider this @Shane Stevenson, Weber Minimass 50 attenuator, works great, hand made in the US one by one as the orders come in,...and it get's 5 stars everywhere it's reviewed!
    Best part,...only $136.

Do yourself a favor and check it out before you make any moves.

https://tedweber.com/minimass

16. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Depends. If you're looking for the "dimed Plexi" tone with lot of power amp saturation and basically everything on 10 or close to it, an attenuator is better.
    If you prefer (or can get along with) less drastic settings, the volume box will work very well. Also note that if you use effects in the FX loop, you'll get more clarity using the volume box first.
    It works very well for me (i built a couple volume boxes for myself), and doubles as a master volume. But I also tend to start from a mild crunch and use pedals to boost the amp. Might or might not work for you. But definitely worth a try.

17. Shane Stevenson

I was also thinking about the Weber Mass Lite 100. Is that too much of an attenuator to use with my 20 watt SV? Also, I’m assuming that I would need to buy two speaker cables? Not instrument cables...right?

18. tce63

Mini mass works great, I have one an use it on stage an at home with my SV20H and SV212C :)

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  19. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Yes, speaker cables only for attenuator connections between amp and cab.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Congratulations it is a fabulous amp. I have the SV1x12 and that is nice, so the 2x12 will be super.

I have the Weber mini mass. I could not play it at home without it. Not because of neighbours but it would seriously damage my hearing.

G

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.