Fender Saleen Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by ampmadscientist, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Jury is still out for me. First thought was “ugly”, but that’s probably because it’s different from a normal Strat. After watching the video I’m warming up to it.

3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. VIP Member

Not another automobile-inspired Fender.

[​IMG]

Adieu and ricksdisconnected like this.
  4. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Video gave me Forest Whitaker eye.

J Saw and Filipe Soares like this.
  5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

No deal . Don’t like the lines . Look like Tupperware left on a hot stove

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  6. ampmadscientist

I'm glad you guys like it so much.

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

its neat looking but nothing i would care to have.

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If that's the best thing Fender's lead master builder can come up with, I should probably drop my resume' on Fender.

No, I won't do that. I really don't have any love for Fender guitars. Or any appreciation for bolt-on necks and guitars that are mass produced on an assembly line, by people who do their jobs not for love of the instruments they make, but for the paycheck on Friday.

I'd enjoy working on the PRS assembly line more than leading the Fender custom shop, I swear that is true.

9. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

:iough:

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

...Meanwhile at EBMM:

*whole office crossing fingers, knocking on wooden surfaces, spitting over left shoulder, etc*

Chants mantra "pleeeeeeaaase god don't let Petrucci see this video, please please please don't let Petrucci see this video"

tce63 likes this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

It’s not that it’s completely terrible.

...well I guess yeah, that’s exactly what it is.

Matthews Guitars and bullhead like this.
  12. Vinsanitizer

I love Fender guitars. I have many of their books including the amp & guitar Chronicles books ft. Greg Koch on the CD’s and the Custom Shop book. And I’ve owned an incalulable number of Fender guitars and amps several few decades, including a couple Vintage Reissues. And for that matter I still own two Gibson Custom Slop Les Pauls (misspelling intentional). What I have a hard time with is, why can’t these companies make ALL of their models and releases at MUCH more affordable prices? If they did, people might be more open to trying new releases. But these Custom Shop models of sorts - they build ‘em old-school and others they jazz up like the one in this OP, and then they go off like every guitar is a future “rare collectible” certain to be like a stock market investment. Yet nothing could be more wrong. Granted, a $3,000 price tag is a LOT more fair for a guitar that has the sound, feel and vibe that the old guys from the 50’s covet so much, but their contemporary models are really much better designs and more easily attainable than the Vintage RI’s. And that’s not even approaching Gibson’s 50’s reissues, which I have two of, and do love, but the reality for me is that the price isn’t where it should be for what you’re getting. NO guitar is worth $4,000 or $5,000 (and rising)

I have all the guitars I need now, but it was a long trek learning about the pitfalls. If I had it to do over again... well, I think I’d have chosen a better hobby, but not withstanding, I’d have obtained handfuls of Squiers and Epiphones and never known the difference.

So after decades in the biz of buying, selling & trading, here’s to guitars fetching more than $1,999, and to Fender's overpriced limited models built for rich collectors: :noway:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Sustainium and tce63 like this.
  13. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i'd still rather have my 2 strats

tce63 likes this.
  14. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

What is interesting to me is how Fender Custom has some new 2020 models selling for 7 to 8 grand ( Masterbuilt models ) . Can you believe that ? I am talking retail sell price . I believe that the Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul's are more ornate and more hand carve work and get the mark up . On plain Strat or Tele bodies -no way .

Vinsanitizer and tce63 like this.
  15. RCM 800

but, but , theyre relic'd lol. I dont think there is a non vintage bolt neck guitar on earth worth that much. I love my custom shop fender and admittedly its the best strat Ive owned and played but a buddy who passed's wife gave it to me. Theres no way I would drop the scratch on a CS Fender.

tce63 likes this.
  16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

To me, a Fender "masterbuilt" guitar just means that they're taking a lot more money out of your pocket to (A) get a "master luthier" to run the screwdriver (Maybe he actually uses a calibrated torque screwdriver to exactly torque each screw "just so"?) and (B) get the level of fit and finish that ideally, every guitar they ship should meet anyway. It means really nothing to me. Oh, the woods may be prettier and more expensive. How does that affect tone? Well, it can. I'll leave that possibility open but otherwise I'm not saying anything. I do believe in tonewood. And I do believe that hanging your pickups in the middle of a big sheet of ABS plastic that's attached to the body only around its perimeter is a perfect way to isolate and eliminate most of the tonal effects of the wood from the electric sound of the pickups.

Now, as for Gibson....they have a habit of making really good LP Standards that are faithful recreations of a '58, '59, or '60 original, guitars that they could just call an R8, R9, or R0, and then they make some really stupid minor little tweak to it and call it the (insert guitarist's name here) signature model and tag thousands and thousands of extra dollars on to its list price. By my lights it's a dishonest cash grab that preys upon people who have more dollars than sense. (I've wanted to use that line all my life!)

Slash Les Paul signature model. Jimmy Page Les Paul signature model. Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates Les Paul signature model. Gary Rossington Les Paul signature model. I'm going to just list names because I'm getting bored typing Les Paul signature model with every one now. Dave Amato (No idea who that is.) Lee Roy Parnell. (Also unknown to me.) Don Felder. Ace Frehley. Vivian Campbell. Bucky the Janitor. (Hey, why not?) All these are just tiny minor little variations on the same theme. Any of them could be pulled from the same batch and all the differences between them happen in the paint booth and in some minor differences in selection of pickups, electronics, and hardware. (OK,maybe some inlay differences as well. Big deal in the age of CNC inlays. Not.)

Both Gibson and Fender are guilty of shameless profiteering off of artist models. An R9 lists for about 6500 but a Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates signature model, which could be basically identical minus the faked ageing and that authentic "Billy Gibbons played it for a few minutes and then scrawled his signature on it with a sharpie" lists for 25 grand. The only production difference was "Hey, this maple top set looks a lot like the one on Pearly. We'll build a guitar, finish it to look like Pearly, have Billy sign it, and put an extra 18,500 bucks in our pockets, minus Billy's fee!"

What an outright SCAM.

tce63 likes this.
  17. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

It's a serious amount of treasure for sure . I will tell you there is a world of difference between an original Fender built in the 50's-60's versus Fender Custom Shop offerings .

tce63 likes this.
  18. RCM 800

Ive been lucky enough to put my mits on a few vintage fenders and honestly I like my CS better but I dont know if the ones I played were duds typical or good. The guys who owned them thought they were super lol.

tce63 likes this.
  19. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Great post! They will keep on selling them though as its one of few things old guys flush with cash can still physically do.

tce63 likes this.
  20. ampmadscientist

It looks and sounds like a skateboard.

tce63 and ricksdisconnected like this.