Fender Excelsior 1x15" Combo

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Gutch220, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

I was thinking about buying one of these discontinued (c.2013) Fender 1x15" combos. Does anybody have any experiences worth sharing, or actually own one? It seems like they are a little tricky to find on the used market.
    It's a 13w 1x15" combo with two 6v6's and comes with an Eminence Weber Legend speaker (not shown). It has tremolo, but to my surprise it has no built-in reverb. This surprised me.
    I currently do not own any amps with a 15" speaker, plus I think it looks cool. I would replace the 12ax7's with AY7's most likely. Other photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I don't get is that if one 6v6 power tubes can do 12-14 watts, why is this amp only 13 watts if it has two 6v6 in a class AB amp........ (because it's cathode biased?)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I had one for a while without the upgraded Legend. The amp had a 50’s-ish kinda thing going on flabbing the speaker out.

I put the Legend in it and fixed the low end ratty-ness. Has a more tweedish sound with this speaker. The natural breakup is great but loud at that point like a 5e3.

Did the tremelo mod and tone pot mod. They are a must and provide a lot more flexibility.

The transformer mod was a waste. Cleaned it up too much, lost it’s character.

MDF cabinet and very heavy.

The tremelo on it is great.

3. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

They should've put a reverb tank inside on the left side if possible.

I'm keeping my eyes open for one on ebay and reverb. Post on here if anybody sees one.

Also, I looked inside, and it is a simplified circuit-board and the pots/sockets are jumpered to the board while the input jacks have their own seperate mini PCB which isn't a big deal to me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

5. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Yea, he uses it in a blend with a couple others. It’s a cool amp for the price

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

It sounds like good old-time fun!
    Did you consider a Peavey Delta Blues as another option? Tweedish, also 15", with verb and trem (i think), and probably more common.

7. Gutch220

Gutch220 Active Member

it's about double the price though

8. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

Cool amp

9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I had one, it was cool and i probably should have kept it. Single 6V6 amps that ive had were all around 5 or 6 watts.