Fender Convert Gets A Jubilee

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Polaris, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Polaris

Polaris Member

Found a killer local deal for a 2555x and 2551AV half stack so I jumped. I’ve played Fender amps for years and own a 212 Hot Rod DeVille as well as a USA 410 Blues DeVille, and I can’t believe the difference! The clean is amazing but that crunch! It’s the sound I didn’t know I was looking for. I also am surprised that I can get such a good tone at low levels even being a 100w amp; I find the 50w low power setting to be a bit anemic and has a 60hz hum.

Is there any common knowledge on Marshall amps that I should know? Thx in advance
    :agreed:

Attached Files:

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new MF’r( Marshall forumer) and a happy new amp day ! You will get more responses just be patient, I have no experience with your particular amp, so I can offer no suggestions! Cheers Mitch

Polaris, Jon C and stringtree like this.
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The hum in triode is likely caused by one or more of the output tubes not matching the plate dissipation of the others. It's easy to check and adjust the bias on the 2555x, though. Did you get it used? It might benefit from a new set of tubes in that case.

As your finding out, they are a pretty good sounding amp. I run high output master settings and balance the volume of the overdrive channel against the clean/crunch channel using the lead master. I run the input gain at at least 6. Small adjustments to the eq can have a profound effect on tone with these.

4. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Silver Jubilee Cult! We have meetings every Wednesday. We have beer and strippers. My first recommendation is to check the bias like Kinkless Tetrode said above. The 2555x seems to ship with the bias out of spec. Mine came with one side at 85 and the other at 60. I put them both at 70 as the label recommended and it was great after that. If the cab is new there will be a long break in period for the speakers. If they sound good now they will only get better the more you break it in. Mine really came alive after owning the cab for a couple months. I added a B cab later and have it broken in too. In my opinion the 2555x sounds better at lower volumes than the mini does. If you haven't already try the FX loop out. This is one of the best FX loops Marshall ever made. Sounds great with just about anything.

5. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I think this post ended up in the wrong thread. Should be in this thread.

Polaris likes this.
  6. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Welcome , and as a Former Fender amp user myself your findings mirror mine as well . The 50 Watt power setting is certainly anemic and useless to me and you can get a decent sound on low levels on the 100 Watt setting . The clean is very clean with a bite . What is so amazing to me is that the 2555X is the sound/tone I have been chasing for all these years when I was using every flavor of distortion / overdrive pedal around trying to get the sound of a Marshall cranked with tons of gain . This amp is so easy to dial in and no fuss at all and sounds so great with a Les Paul :headbanger:

Ren335, Crikey, Jethro Rocker and 3 others like this.
  7. Polaris

Polaris Member

Ordered some Mullard EL34s and JJ 12ax7 this am to replace the stock tubes, I can’t imagine the originals to be in that good of shape if the bias hasn’t been right since day one.

This and a CE-1 clone just NAILS Frusciante’s tone. I’ve been losing sleep staying up past my bedtime playing this thing :slash:

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I love that last sentence, so I am not the only one who has done this! Cheers Mitch

Polaris likes this.
  9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

See what the AX7s are as they aren't affected by bias of course. They might even be Marshall branded JJs.

Polaris likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

My 2555x came with Marshall Branded tubes.

El Gringo and Jethro Rocker like this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Could be Chinese or JJs maybe Sovtek. Tung Sol

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  12. JacksonCharvelAddict

Is there a way to tell which it is? I'll have to take another look when I get a chance.

13. ElectricGuitarSlinger

ElectricGuitarSlinger New Member

There is room to own both Fender and Marshall amps! :)

Attached Files:

Polaris and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. El Gringo

For me once I got my 2555X my Fender's were rendered useless and thus they sit at home collecting dust all 4 of them .

15. Jethro Rocker

16. Jethro Rocker

Depending on what one likes, of course. I never had a Fender, not really my thing. Got my first Marshall in 1983 - a new 2203 white with matching 4x12. Never looked back.

El Gringo and Crikey like this.
  17. Crikey

Crikey Active Member

Its absolutely contagious that Marshall roar. I too travelled full circle amp wise and am back with Marshall. What type of deal did you find pricewise?

18. Crikey

Crikey Active Member

You did it right the first time.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  19. El Gringo

That is what I should have done . In high school back in the mid 70's when I first started playing electric my father got me a Blackface Fender Twin Reverb from his Bouzoki playing friend who had to "go away " for a couple of years and that's how I came to be using Fender amps and I wish I had started with Marshall's instead of waiting till 2015 to join the bandwagon with my 2555X . Guitar playing for me has become so much more fun since I got the 2555X and it sounds so good and the best part is how easy it is to use and I don't need distortion/overdrive pedals anymore as they are useless to me now .

Jethro Rocker and Classicplayer like this.
  20. Polaris

Polaris Member

That’s what I see happening to mine, after playing the Jube I can’t imagine plugging into anything else.
    Got the pair for 1400. I was looking for a 20w and 212 cab but the 100w head and 412 half stack for that price, I couldn’t turn it down.:cool:

Crikey likes this.