Fake Serial?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by BygoneTones, Oct 22, 2018.

1. James Robinson-Wyatt

James Robinson-Wyatt New Member

Thanks, I'll continue to be as clear as I can and hope to learn a lot along the way.
    I'll certainly point out more of what I'm not sure about rather than letting the images speak for themselves too.

2. James Robinson-Wyatt

Thanks DB, I'll take on board everything I can. That would be much appreciated. I'm happy to start up a discussion about each item if anyone thinks there is value in that?

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

I will try to remove all Justin references. If you genuinely are a straight up guy then sorry to see you have been lumped with some questionable gear.

I have said this before on other forums, but you do not need to spend a fortune to learn about vintage marshall gear - what parts are legit and what parts are fake. Buy the cheap ugly stuff that nobody wants. The restoration projects and stripped down PA cabs etc. You will very quickly get to know what original tolex and other parts should look like. Learn that stuff before you spend the big money on the more collectable items.

Read as much as you can, and look more closely at the photos of genuine gear that people post online.

4. James Robinson-Wyatt

Thank you I really appreciate that.

I take your advice on board and will certainly do all of that.

One of my main sources to date has been the Doyle book. I recently purchased the latest edition (in colour) to replace my older B&W copy. Is that a good place to start for information in your opinion?

5. doctorbaster

doctorbaster New Member

The Doyle book contains a lot of incorrect and misleading information
    Don’t rely on it too heavily.
    As BGT stated compare known good examples to what you have.
    You will soon be able to spot things that are not right

Ask lots of questions
    That’s how you learn, there are no dumb questions.

I have saved thousands of images of known good ones
    And known forgeries. Forgeries have their own fingerprints and you will learn those too.

James Robinson-Wyatt likes this.