Expensive vs. Cheap Gear

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Apr 1, 2020.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

This video sums it up pretty well. Love Josh from JHS, such a down to earth, friendly and non biased, sincere guy.

Would I rock the cheapest rig? If I didn't have the cash, sure. I'd rather play the Tier 2 rig in this video, but in the end it's about your skills, not your gear (although it does help)

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Usually, it is a tier 3, 4, 5 guy telling you to buy tier 6,7,8 pedals to have a tier 1 rig, that you don't need.
    Sometimes you get tier 1 pedals that can make you into a tier 1 player. Some tier 1 players have tier 1 pedals (rig) and sound like tier 3, 4, 5 guys.
    The tier curve to get you to tier 1 takes time and money. These type demos, done right, help players to try and achieve their goals, as nothing teaches hands on experience. Klones are King for this endeavor. You will need experience to decipher this going for the next tier. GL

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

42 yrs ago , a little ol' dreamer from Pasadena f**k'd up everybody's head with some guitars he pieced together from reject parts .....

netlocal, wntbtw, Bluesrock and 13 others like this.
  4. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

we live in an amazing time where you don't have to spend tons of money to have a good tone. for me owning expensive stuff is a waste of money. if that makes you happy I won't judge, everyone should be happy.

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like kids who are getting started these days, have access to better /more affordable stuff than my generation did. The cheap gear of today is better quality of the cheap gear of the 60s n 70s...It's still cheap , but you can actually set it up to play in tune

But on the other hand, there was a lotta mystery in in this stuff in the 1970's
    It was great fun for us to discover instruments in the trash and try to make them work .
    No video lessons or any o' that sh*t....Maybe you had some older kid in the neighborhood who was hot sh*t and showed you some stuff. OR and old dude who had been around and could really play

Nowdays,the kids get everything handed to 'em ...the gear ,the lessons,the GIGS !!!
    Hell,when I was in high school ,the guitar was still an outlaw instrument ,that your parents DIDNT want you to be involved in

BTW, Josh Scott is a damn good and interesting guitar player

wntbtw, neoclassical, tce63 and 7 others like this.
  6. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I believe the guitar gear world is like the competition shooting world - you can waste a lot of time [which you can't get back] trying to save money [which you can make more of] on inexpensive gear to sound [or shoot] as good as better gear.

The best way to save time and funds on gear is to have a clear understanding of what tone you want. Use the gear that generated that tone.

If your tone target guys / gals use mainstream gear get what they use and work on your chops. I grew up in the 70's & 80's and would have been far better off if somebody smarter than me had said 'Dumbass, you want to sound like them? Buy a Marshall 1959 or 2203! Oh and learn to play better!!!'

Russ

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Nice gear is my personal reward to myself for busting my ass for years to have a successful career. Could I get by with cheap stuff? Sure could. Do I want to at this point? Not on your life.

wntbtw, zachman, JMP_1972 and 6 others like this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I have only had cheap gear. But someday I want the '59 tiger top.

9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

A cheap guitar made today is a far cry from a cheap guitar of the 1970s or 1960s. You can buy a 99 dollar Affinity or a First Act and get a guitar that plays better than any old Japanese made 60s/70s electric will EVER play no matter what you do to it.

As for amps...the cheapest tier is always trash. I'd argue that amps have changed LESS than guitars have, as you go throught the various pricing tiers, with respect to quality of construction and sound quality.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Back in the day, a 15 watt Peavey combo was a common starter amp. Nowadays, even the cheapest modeling combos kick the hell out of those old buzzsaws.

zachman and GuitarIV like this.
  11. Filipe Soares

That's what I've said, for personal satisfaction I won't judge. everyone should be happy.

but holy fuck odin, freya and thor the 700USD guitars nowadays kicks some serious ass. I had a strong prejudice agains chinese/indonesian/korean guitars until I was in GC and there as a sale on a white RR with black stripes, with emgs, FR Special... 574USD. I decided to give it a try and test it. I bought it 2min later. carbon fiber reinforcements, compound radius, emgs... amazing! really, 574usd new? that was a steal.

since that I've bought a LTD Alex Skolnick and a LTD SC500 (pawn shop find) and I have to say... these "cheap" guitars would cost 2x or 3x the price 20 years ago. and by all means, 20 years ago it was 2000s, not 70s.

Trelwheen and Frodebro like this.
  12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with using inexpensive gear if it gets you closer to what you like. For some components, there may be a compromise, but if you're careful the cost might not be significant. For example, various aspects of a pickup(s) might be an issue, but players might already have a good stash of pickups. I think that with inexpensive gear, you might have small issues to reconsider, but the cost of time and money usually isn't to significant.

I use a Glen Burton strat right now that sounds very good, but I do switch out the pickups sometimes because the original pups aren't hot enough for high gain tones. One of my favorite guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul standard; the original pickups are very good, but I have better pickups for high gain.

With time and experience, it gets easier to see the potential of inexpensive gear.

13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Any pedals that cost $200 are expensive to me...

Adieu, neoclassical and ibmorjamn like this.
  14. Filipe Soares

my limits:

pedals - 150usd
    Amps - 1200 usd
    Guitars - 1000 usd
    Multi FX - 700 usd

ibmorjamn, Antmax, GuitarIV and 2 others like this.
  15. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Well, that brought me to tiers !

:fever:

I buy and use what sounds good, is functional, and built well enough not to break in three months. As a result, some of my gear is cheap and some is super high end stuff. I've got $100 mic preamps and I've got $7,000 mic preamps. Same with guitars, amps, microphones...I just use what I like and what sounds good. The bottom line for us all is inspiration. Image can kiss my ass.

Play what makes your socks roll up and down, and don't worry over it.

16. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

The money I saved by buying kickarse MIJ (+1 MIM +1MIC) guitars, paid for my corky USA boutiquey amp. Money well spent all 'round :cool:

17. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Lol exactly. I played and learned on a peavey bandit in the early 90’s. I’d crank that damn thing so loud it sounded like a piece of trash the louder it got. I would of given my left nutt for a Marshall or Mesa but it just wasn’t in the cards. Now later in life i can afford the amps i wish I could have as a kid and it’s great, I’d never give it up. I bought a small practice amp for the bedroom 5 years ago and looked at a peavey rage..... a Marshall MG15CFX was the same price and sounded 100 times better, was a no brainer. Too bad they didn’t have those wicked little amps back then.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

You find something that does what you want with what you have.
    The price is the price.
    I have lower price stuff but the majority is upper price. You get and can count on what you pay for in most situations.

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I don't mind expensive guitars, as long as i don't have to spend more than $200.00 for them.

20. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I wont compromise on amps. while i have an attraction to cheap but well made and good sounding guitars.

Charles Miller and GuitarIV like this.