EVO gold fret wire

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by anitoli, Nov 15, 2019.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this? My understanding is the hardness falls in between SS and nickel.

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yep. good fret wire

anitoli likes this.
  3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I like it. I refretted an old vintage Japanese Les Paul with it and it works great. It does have a goldish cast but doesn't look bad at all. Seemed to fit yellowed pearloid fretmarkers and ice tea rimburst quite well.

The fret ends were noticeably slower to work on than the nickel silver on my other guitars.

[​IMG]

Adieu and anitoli like this.
  4. anitoli

How does it seem to wear?

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

What's that say on the headstock?

6. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Haven't really noticed any wear in playing, it was harder to work on with files which is what I meant by being slow.
    Kopy Kat lol. It's basically an early 70's Burney EG-420. I bought it on Craigslist for $50 as a project. Had no idea what it was. Have a thread about it on mylespaul.com.

anitoli and Adieu like this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

That's awesome

8. lordquilton

lordquilton Well-Known Member

This video is from 2012.

He plays a lot. I asked him for an update about a year ago, here's what he wrote -
    "I still have them on both my 1962 and 1964 Strats. There is still no wear and I have played them hard every day for many many years. They will most likely last forever. As far as tone goes, I think they are fine but feel a little harder and you may experience just a hair more string chatter on the next fret because the frets are harder. Ideally, I still like nickel frets mainly for the soft feel but they wear out so quickly that I could easily change them once a year. If I had the equipment to do fret jobs, I would probably stick with nickel because it is the traditional material but EVO is the next best thing in my opinion. I have never played SS frets but I have the feeling that the EVO wire feels a little better than SS. Since they do last forever, you have to be absolutely sure on the size you like because you will be stuck with them forever. Now, I feel I may have liked the next size that is a little lower and wider. These are still fine but you have to be careful not to put too much pressure on them when you are fretting a note or you could possible bend out of tune a little. That is due to the high crown. I went with the high crown to make bending strings easier but a little lower and wider would work fine. Something with the same dimensions close to Dunlop 6105 or 6150 would be good."

Personally I'd put up with the difference between these and nickel, I just fucking hate it when frets start to wear out. I swear I can feel it happening sometimes when I use a wide vibrato. Ugh.

anitoli likes this.
  9. anitoli

Ever since i got hooked on Carvins and the SS frets they use i am very reluctant to go back to anything with nickel frets simply due to the wear/denting issues. I was considering buying a guitar with these on there ( damn they look nice on birdseye maple) But didn't want to spend a big ol chunk of cash for frets that are just gonna wear out in no time. Thanks for posting, this helped make up my mind.

lordquilton likes this.
  10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Ss is a soft metal the strings slide across better

11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

So Stainless Steel is now considered a soft metal?
    Are you drunk?

anitoli and ricksdisconnected like this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

roflmao.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Playing wize EVO feels more like nickel silver than Stainless. My stainless warmoth neck feels a bit like stone under the strings, you get a cold hard stone like feel and slight acoustic clack sound if you hammer the string on the fret. EVO has a similar feel to regular frets just is harder and doesn't wear as much. I think that hardness of SS puts off some players because it feels different. If it sounds different it's probably 2-3% brighter only. More difference between a roasted maple neck and fretboard to a regular maple/rosewood one.

Stainless is really hard. I have that Warmoth strat on a stand far right of my desk top so I can take a break and practice. One of my pugs pulled the guitar cable one time and the whole guitar got pulled down forwards onto the neck. Was just a little bit concerned studied the neck carefully (body is just a squire VM strat). Huge chip out of the body, roasted maple fine, frets surprisingly fine.

Few days later I was cleaning the edge of my desk and saw 6 small evenly spaced notches embedded on the edge of the desk top. Took me a moment to realize it was where the strings smashed against the desk on the way down to the floor. If the frets had been nickel silver, chances are that the strings would have notched the frets and I'd have needed some crowning or a fret level. Not the slightest scratch on the stainless frets.

Another nice thing with EVO is that some people develop a sensitivity to nickel with years of prolonged contact with it. Evo frets are considered hypoallergenic. You would probably have to change your strings to cobalts or something to prevent allergies kicking in though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019