EVH III 2x12 cab for vintage Marshall tone?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Robus, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Robus

Robus Active Member

I'm looking around for a 2x12 cab to pair with the Studio Vintage 20 watt plexi. Most 2x12 closed back cabs seem to go with Vintage 30s, but I'm looking for something closer to the classic greenback sound. This EVH cab has two G12H 30 watt speakers for 60 watts.

The videos I've heard of this cabinet mostly feature players pairing it with the matching head for heavy rock and metal. The sound I'm looking for is 60s-early 70s plexi, from clean to crunch, Country to Hard Rock.

Will this cab do what I want?

It is pretty fetching.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nch-60-watt-2x12-inch-extension-cabinet-ivory

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Greenback reissue or the Heritage 55hz should give you that classic rock tones....

3. Robus

Robus Active Member

Finding them in a 2x12 cab is the trick. Bogner make an open back 2x12 with greenbacks but runs about $900, and I think I prefer closed back.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

I've also been eyeing that EVH cab.

Looks well built, and some great vintage "type" speakers.

Have the same speakers in my 1936 and 2061 cabinets, and they seem to get the job done. One word, if I may? The speakers in question definitely need a break in period, keep that in the back of your mind if you purchase.

Make sure to keep us in the loop, I like to live vicariously through other peoples purchases.

Steve

Robus and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  5. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Seismic Audio sells cab only... I've seen a few old VHT 2x12 that is open back....

6. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Gotta find the cab you want and swap. EVH's are 20 watters I like the 25s myself

7. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Just got an EVH 2x12, and it sounds killer with the SV20H. Big, bold, fat, but still very clear. I'm more a George Lynch/Gary Moore/John Norum type of player than a 60s guy, so your mileage might vary, but so far, the EVH is a great choice as a match with a vintage-sounding Marshall.

steveb63 likes this.
  8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

9. Robus

Robus Active Member

I bought the EVH 2x12 cab and kept it, although I returned the SV20H (couldn't handle the hum in the bright channel). The cab sounds great with my 15-25 watt heads (Marshall, Boogie, Vox). The G12M Anniversary speakers are bright out of the box but mellow out with playing.

10. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Already did 3 gigs (in 3 days) with the EVH 212, and it's already starting to mellow a bit. And it sounds GREAT, definitely an excellent match with the SV20H. Classic Marshall rock tones, super clear and defined, warm, punchy, I honestly can't say enough good things about it.
    The one and only downside to it in my experience (from loading it in/out a few times already) is, it lacks side handles. But tone-wise, it's very good, and the price point basically makes it a no-brainer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Kinkless Tetrode and Robus like this.