EVH amp models breakdown

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Kutt, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Been on a bit of an EVH amp kick this week since I was tweaking the preamp tubes in mine. People get confused over the various models (myself included) so I did some lo-fi photo editing of the different heads. I'm a nerd. This does not include any combo amp versions or the earlier Peavey 5150 line.

Things to note:

-Only the "original" 6L6 line is available in both black or ivory.
    -The 50w 6L6 rev 2 introduced concentric volume and gain controls which rev 1 did not have. Kits are available from Fender for authorized service centers to bring rev 1 amps to rev 2 specs with concentric pots.
    -The LBX amps use EL84 output tubes.
    -The only amps with a power reduction option are the LBX models.
    -The only amp without a Resonance control is the "original" 100w 6L6.
    -There are 112, 212, and 412 EVH cabs available in varying matching cosmetics. The 412 cabs use 20w G12 EVH signature Celestions (relabeled Heritage Greenbacks) and the others use 30w G12H Anniversary Celestions.
    -All EVH amps and cabs are made in Mexico.

There are other details such as slight tone tweaks between the models, how the green/blue/red channels differ, etc... but that's a whole other discussion.

OK.... I've dorked out enough for the day. Done.

upload_2020-3-28_6-10-32.png

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    ibmorjamn, delirium, wakjob and 2 others like this.
  2. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

There is also a limited edition with red striped front 100watt 6l6

MonstersOfTheMidway and Kutt like this.
  3. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I played the original 100 watter when it came out, and to this day that amp still haunts me.
    It was quite the experience.

Everyone raves about the 50 watt versions.
    Everything else in the lineup has hit & miss reviews.

Kutt likes this.
  4. mmrizio

mmrizio New Member

I love the overview, so when you have time: How did the sound evolve? I love the old Peavey 5150's and their Bugera clones for their brutal tonez.
    I don't really care about 50W vs. 100W or 6L6 vs. EL34, but the preamp changes would interest me.

5. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

Do you mean how did it evolve beginning with the Peavey line into the EVH line, or how did it evolve within the EVH line itself?

6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I had the LBX MK.I. the first amp loaded with EL84s that didn't sound EL84 at all. amazing little beast and I don't care if the channels are high gain and high gainer.

that amp made me buy the 50w head with the matching 2x12 (ivory, of coarse!) and I'm still after the rev.2 mod but even living in mexico where the amps are made I can't find anyone to do it. I've sent lot's of emails to fender/evh and they have no clue of reality. They have one info on their system, the people in charge locally have no idea on how to do it at all. The local service was so clueless that they received the "memo" on pricing, hours etc from ME!.

anyway. I love these amps. Still wanting to buy the EL34 version.

Ufoscorpion and Kutt like this.
  7. mmrizio

mmrizio New Member

Well... I thought the differences in sound between the EVH versions. But of course if you can compare with the Peavey 5150 and 5150-II as well, that would be awesome.

8. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Remember also the 100 watt stealth was created after Eddie heard the 50 watt blue channel and wanted a revoice for his touring 100 watt heads based on it.

they recently released a 50 watt stealth, I’m not up to date on the changes.

the regular 50 was my amp of choice, but the volume jump (since fixed with concentric pot kits) led me down a path that ended in a digital rig.

9. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Well-Known Member