Evh 5150iii

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Grogshla, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Man.... I am so happy with the 50 watt 6L6 head!

it is beyond ridiculous how versatile this head is..... paired with an Axe FX II is like god mode.

BftGibson likes this.
  2. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Someone on CL offered me a EVH 5150 III 50 watt head for my '06 Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 360.

They said + cash but they never said how much and I didn't ask.

I said no thanks.

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  4. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Everyone has different tastes for sure

5. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Makes me laugh when I hear people say EVH amps have got too much gain . The green channel on my lbx is super clean the blue goes from a spot on Free to the filthiest modern metal out there . THE GAIN KNOB IS ADJUSTABLE.

6. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I’ve got the 5150IIII 2X12 COMBO WITH greenbacks and the built in attenuation knob (name escapes me). Totally a kick ass amp. I’ve had it 2 or 3 years. Brought it new from MF for I think $1499 minus 15% and and additional 8% in back pass points. I live on the blue channel. Only 2 negatives are it’s a monster heavy rig. The second is there were a couple of imperfections in the wood I could see under the tolex. I’n short, the guy in Mexico who put the white tolex on put it over a piece of wood with several big gauges. I’ve never seen that with a Marshall. It was on the back and the piece can be swapped but of course when I contacted Fender direct they initially said yes but the guy I spoke to was over ruled. They said return it to MF. In the end, I said screw it. It was purely cosmetic.

But overall....very cool amp and a couple of years later the cosmetic flaw is meaningless.

I wonder about this too. People say same about JVM. I was playing a Friedman be 100 with a 74 strat yesterday. Was playing classic rock. Tone was great. Switched guitars to a EBMM Luke and that guitar was so much hotter that I had too much gain. I turned the gain down....done.

I wondered the same. I had no problem getting the 15% MF discount but I had to call them and do the order that way.

If the buyer is from USA I recommend going used on this or at a minimum call around for a discount.

Ufoscorpion and KraftyBob like this.
  7. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

True. Thing is, for those of us who'd like a bit less gain, lowering it makes the full sweep of the gain control more usable. Sure I could have left it as-is, but then I'm stuck using only roughly the first half of the gain pot. One simple tube swap and the full sweep is more usable.

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  8. Ufoscorpion

I put an ecc82 in v1 which made a big difference and tamed the gain substantially , there’s still bucket loads left if needed .

Kutt likes this.
  9. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Here's the latest :hbang::hbang::hbang:

10. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

....more!

11. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

so true... and complaining about too much gain is like complaining on how tight a pussy is...

btw, I have a 5150III 50w head and the matching 2x12 cab and the only thing I can say is: what a wonderful amp!

Good cleans (but who cares), blue channel have a good hot rodded marshall vibe and the red channel was made to melt your face. I play heavy metal, and by far is one of the best metal amps I ever played. A used 50w costs almost nothing (500ish used) and it's a killer amp.

BTW I love the fact the foot can control the FX Loop.

12. Ufoscorpion

I really feel want to get another Marshall , but I’ve had so many and have been ultimately somewhat underwhelmed . Like yourself I play metal , 80’s metal , the EVH is perfect .

stringtree likes this.
  13. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Whats great about the EVH, is that its a finished tone. Nothing else really needed to get the core tone.
    The new price is reasonable as well at used too.

Yet, one could always choose to use pedals to push it. Not that it needs this, but pedals can color the tone, depending
    on what tone ones after.

No wrong way to find ones tone.

Damn fine tone when paired with Celestion 70th anniversary speakers, just sayin....:dude:

Ufoscorpion likes this.