Epiphone

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by crossroadsnyc, Jul 17, 2019.

1. jwoods986

jwoods986 Member

Cool, thanks. Just ordered a used one with a case from GC, we shall see! :)

mcblink likes this.
  2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of doing that too, and getting another lol

I think you'll love it. The guitar is incredibly resonant on it's own....then when you plug in...wow!

As you can see here, mine now has all of Mastodon's signatures on it....hence my reasoning for wanting another

Screenshot_20190801-101433_Gallery.jpg

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I do know that they play nice,
    I had 3 Korean built epis, the SG400, and 2 LP’s, I had installed
    SD JB’s into the SG, and the LP that I traded, the Tobacco burst
    needed nothing, and it became my number 1, but work and gasoline, they just had to be parted with, I still miss my Tobacco burst!
    Cheers Mitch

4. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

5. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

IMHO it is the best finish ever put on a guitar. :cheers:

6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

IMO, unless you have a pre Gibson American Epiphone, you have a guitar that has little resale value.

This is a positive for the consummer.

If you buy THE Epiphone, you better keep it.

7. mcblink

Hey there mister....

Did you get your axe yet? If so, what say you?

I'm curious to see what you think of it.

8. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

9. jwoods986

jwoods986 Member

Picked it up yesterday, mixed so far on it. I've always thought about getting a V, but wanted the "Custom" appointments - ebony board, block inlays, and most importantly, neck binding. This has all that, and looks awesome in the silverburst. Plus I discovered the tone knob has a kill function when you press it, making it very easy to do the Ace "stutter" trick :dude: But that neck is CHUNKY! It does feel good for chords, not so much for leads, and my hands literally hurt after a while. And I thought I liked the pickups until...…..

I A/B it against my LTD EC401 w/Fishmans. Which, other than shape, is similar - short scale, mahogany body, fixed bridge, etc., but then here is what I notice when I switch. The LTD is more ergonomic (smaller, more compact, 1st fret not so "far away"), has a thin neck w/jumbo frets, and the Fishmans are hotter, but CLEARER than the Hinds Lace pups. All of which I like.

So basically, there's no logical reason to keep the V (for me), but it just looks so damn cool! I'll be moving this weekend, with no guitar playing from Fri-Mon, so I'll come back to it on Tuesday and give it one more try. If not, that's why I got it from GC, so I could return if needed.

mcblink likes this.
  10. jwoods986

jwoods986 Member

^ Returned to GC today. Just couldn't come to grips with the neck and really prefer my EC401, so I didn't really need it either.

mcblink likes this.
  11. mcblink

That's too bad, it's such a sexy guitar. I do understand though...if you don't like something about a guitar, you just don't!

12. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

I have an Epi SG that was plekked by Sweetwater.

Dropped some Seymour Duncan pickups in it (59 neck, changed magnet to an A4, 59 bridge, changed magnet to a double thick A8). Changed all the pots, input jack and pickup selector switch. Damn thing really sounds good.

13. Snaffs

Snaffs New Member

As being new to all this. I need to ask a question, as something is puzzling me.
    You have the REAL expensive brand, and you have the Epi version, which generally seem excellent for the price, and the performance is not a million miles away from the original.
    Certainty the difference is more to do with the skill of the player than the equipment I'm sure.

And I understand that Epi is owned by the same company, just made elsewhere using, I guess more economical methods?

That's all well and good. But here is the thing I don't understand.
    What about the guitars that look exactly like Epi's but are branded differently?
    I'm thinking about the Les Paul models in particular.
    I have seen at least 2 other names on what looks like exactly the same guitar, same colour, everything, just a different name on the head.

This leads me to ask....... Are they basically making all these at the same place, and just putting a different name on the head?

14. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Doubtful, Epi's are now made in the Epi factory period. There are counterfeit Epi's believe it or not. It is not a factory like Cort or Samick that builds many brands, although, before they built this factory Epi's were built by these companies so if you're talking about old guitars then you could be right.

Snaffs likes this.
  15. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member