El34 100 / 100 Replacement Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Random Man, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Random Man

Random Man New Member

Hi everyone. Does anyone know what spec (i.e. voltage, RPM, etc) the cooling fan is in the Marshall EL34 100/100 Dual Monobloc rack power amp? Mine is about 12 yrs old and i think the bearings are going on it. I'm guessing it should be fairly straightforward to replace.

cheers!

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

I' m not sure of the things you asked but I have lubricated the shafts on fans in avt and mg heads when they became noisy and havent had an issue with them since, and its been about 2 years. In the heads I mentioned the fans have a round sticker covering the shaft, i simply peeled it back enough to get access and put a couple drops of this non conductive light oil that comes in a pen type device from radio shack in the end of the shaft. Spun it a few times with my finger and put it back together..worked like a charm and havent had an issue with either fan since.

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

What model number?
    Some of the fans are 12VDC some are 24VDC.

PS: LPS1 is a good fan / motor lubricant which is non-conductive.

4. Marshall71

Marshall71 Member

5. Random Man

Random Man New Member

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

I've not had a chance to check the model number. How would I know if it was a 12V or 24V model? Or does it just say on the fan casing?

I checked out the link. Thanks for that! Looking at the spec I noticed you can get even quieter PC case fans that have similar airflow. For example, here's a 12V one i found after a quick look: https://www.quietpc.com/nf-r8-redux-1800-pwm

Anyone ever tried removing the connector and using something like that? They've got a 4 pin connector so I would imagine that a couple of the wires are for controlling fan speed.

6. Marshall71

Marshall71 Member

I'm sure that there are other candidates but the one I linked will work in the Marshall and is spec'd properly. If you can't even tell whether the fan is 24vdc or 12vdc, you shouldn't really question the suggested replacement. You could also get a replacement from a Marshall dealer but the one I proposed is of better quality, is less noisy, fits and has more CFM

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  7. Random Man

Random Man New Member

Did I misinterpret ampmadscientist ? I thought he was implying that some versions of the amp use 12V fans and other use 24V fans? As I said, I've not looked yet so I can't say what it is. I'm not sure my absence of psychic powers should preclude me from asking about other options. I'm just gathering info before i embark on anything. :)

No matter. I've got the specs I was after so thanks again everyone and have a great new year! :-D

8. Marshall71

Marshall71 Member

Understood. The Marshall rack mount EL34 100/100 and the earlier 9200 all used a 24v fan. :)

You'll notice that "ampmadscientist" asked you what model amp you were referring to when you stated it in the thread title and again, very clearly in the 1st post ;). He seems confused.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017