Ehx- Pitch Fork

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Australian, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

I bought an EHX Pitch Fork yesterday and took it to rehearsal last night. It was dreadfully bad!
    I bought it specifically to detune a semitone or tone. The latency, the coloured sound, the bum note tracking were unacceptable.

I'll be taking it back tomorrow and getting them to order me the Digitech Drop.

This is the one that seems to do a pretty good job:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Mine tracks perfectly with no latency.

The sound is coloured, but less than with my whammy DT.

Where did you have it in your signal path?

3. Australian

I had it as the first pedal in the chain in front of my pedal board last night.
    Today I tried it in front of the Kemper and it was still not very good.

How does the Whammy DT sound playing full chords?
    If you have time, using the PitchFork could you strum/or arpeggiate an open D chord and then Dsus and let me know the result. When I do that on semitone or tone detune, it sounds very out of whack.

4. rick16v

OK I just tried those chords. At first I agreed and it sounded bad, so I played more softly and it was better. Then I cranked the amp up a bit and played normally and it was fine.

This sounds obvious, but make sure it isn't the sounds of the strings you are hearing, mixed with the sound from the speaker.

Whammy DT has no blend, and sounds quite artificial, but in a good way. Its polyphonic too.

5. Australian

Well, I tried it in a few other situations and places in the chain and I'm getting it to sound better. I haven't quite worked out what its best setup is but I'll find it.

Anyway I'm going to keep it. It was a lot of fun in the other modes-dual etc.
    I'll be trying my bass players Digi Drop pedal in comparison next week, and I'll know for sure.
    These units can really change how they operate depending on the player, and the music played, so thats probably why there is a division about which is better.
    The Drop might suit my playing better, and it might not- but I'll know next week.

6. Australian

And no I couldn't hear the strings at the same time. That is my favourite bugbear-hearing the strings to detract from awesome tone.
    By testing it again with a guitar with hotter pickups, makes me wonder...its tracking pretty well now.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. rick16v

Compressor in front is effective too

Australian likes this.
  8. Australian

I just recorded this using Pitch Fork in dual mode through the Kemper.

9. Len

Len Well-Known Member

My Drop has worked great for me in the past couple years of gigging.

Australian likes this.
  10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I use a lot of pedals.

Drop key/tone pedals are not in my arsenal.

I'd probably get one if the situation calls for it......but so far, no.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. Australian

I was putting my Gibson Robot through its paces today, and it could just be another contender.

12. Australian

The worst thing I ever did was to spend hours with this pedal in all its modes. :shock: I'm going to keep it. Theres so much I can do with this pedal-some good organ sounds.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  13. Australian

Does your bass player use one too?

What sort of tuning do you use it for?

14. Australian

Do you use an Expression peal with yours. I haven't looked into what sort it needs. I wonder if I can get an FV500h working with it.

15. rick16v

I use a Pigtronix.

From the Pitchfork manual:

EXPression input jack accepts a TRS expression pedal connector or a Tip-Sleeve 0-5V control voltage input. The expression pedal should ideally use a 10k potentiometer with linear rather than audio taper. It must have the wiper connected to TIP and toe-down connected to RING. Pedals made by some manufacturers do not conform to this convention, and would need a special cable to swap RING and TIP. Some suggested Expression Pedals: EHX Expression Pedal, M-Audio® EX-P, Moog® EP-2 & EP-3, Roland® EV-5 or Boss® FV-500L.

Australian likes this.
  16. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

IMO, an EH Canyon in the "Shimmer" mode does a convincing "orchestral" sound......especially used with an EH Mel 9 on the "Orchestral" setting or "String" setting.

I've found some excellent orchestral tones by using both of these pedals with a Catalinbread Echorec pedal.

The Mel 9 has a cool sustain warble that is musically useable.

It's not something that'll make you give up on a hired string section but the Mel 9 with the Canyon and Echorec will give you that "I Am The Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields" orchestral vibe.

It's not quite a true string sound but it's in the ballpark.

I've used this with a keyboard Synth player and got the grin of approval after the, "where the hell did that come from", look.

It kinda puts the conceited, school trained, pain in the ass better than God keyboard player in their place.

Australian likes this.
  17. Len

Len Well-Known Member

No, my bass player doesn't use one. I use the Drop either to add a low octave for an effect during certain solos, or to drop my tuning by 1/2 or 1 step for a whole song.

Australian likes this.
  18. Australian

Well yes everyones going to have their own way to achieve these sounds.
    This pedal has me a little sidetracked because it didn't really do the main purpose I had for it so well. Its ok, but I expect better than just ok with todays advances.
    For a pedal like this which retails for $389, I did expect it to impress me. I will be taking it back on Monday, and get another pedal for the value.

I just thought it would be convenient to be able to drop tune 1/2 or a tone anytime.

The Robot guitar does it better, and having seperate guitars tuned down also is a better way.

19. crossy67

crossy67 Member

Mine worked way better in the loop. I did find that the further you go up or down tended to sound way too artificial but it was passable at whole step down or up! Certainly does colour the sound though. I didn't buy it for drop tuning though. I bought it mainly to use for octaves and a few harmonies with maybe some sparingly used whammy effect! I also like the detune it can do reasonable chorus. This pedal won over the POG and Boss oc-3 just because it had more uses.
    I will say with this pedal that less is more! The blend knob is really strong. Seems like even at 10 o'clock the wet signal is almost too much for octaves and harmonies anyway. Cheers

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 5:47 AM
  20. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

A little OT.. Axe, out of curiosity I set a piano patch in my m3r into either the mel9 or synth9 they both respond nicely with the keyboard. Give it a shot..