Effects Loop Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by alpha0steel, Jul 6, 2012.

1. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

So I have owned my JVM210h for quite some time now and had always had the effects loop on my clean channel but had no use for it on the overdrive. well today I decided to use my delay on the overdrive channel. When I turned the fx loop on my amps tone got louder and to me A LOT beefer. I like the tone but am I hurting my amp somehow?

2. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Not at all man. Rock out. Sometimes the loop will indeed boost the channels. Some guys just put an EQ in the loop......I've done it before.....as a very cool boost.

3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

You probably aren't hurting anything but perhaps you need to ask yourself if you are going to use the FX loop for a majority of your guitar sound or if you are going to switch in and out of the FX loop. If you are going to use your FX loop for the majority of your guitar sound, then all is well and you can stop reading here. If you are going to switch in and out of the FX loop, then read on because your levels might need adjusting.

Your levels changed because a setting probably changed somewhere (perhaps on your effects or perhaps on the mix knob). Compare the volume difference between your overdrive sound with FX loop bypassed versus your overdrive sound with FX loop engaged by simply pressing the fx loop button on the front panel of your 210H. If you hear a noticeable difference, then you could start by looking at the levels of your particular fx.

If you are using individual pedals, then you need to turn them all off and then turn them on one at a time to see if there is a noticeable difference in loudness. If so, then you need to backoff the units level setting and choose something more balanced to your bypassed sound (again, compare the bypassed sound to the fx loop on sound to get a more balanced level). You may need to do this to all your individual effects, but only you will know for sure since I don't know what effects you are running.

If you are running a multi-effects unit, then you need to consider 2 things:
    1. the level of each individual effect
    2. the level of the overal unit (yes, I mean the level of the entire multi-effects).
    Most multi-effects units feature levels for each individual effects plus a level control for the entire unit. Most multi-effects units (and probably most rackmount units) feature a very deep editing menu that allows you to do some ultra-fine-tweaking. If so, then you need to get into the owner's manual and find out what features your unit has available to you. But basically, you need to go back and forth between adjusting an effect's level+adjusting the overal volume level of your multi-effects unit+setting the mix level on the JVM+adjusting your channel volume for the particular channel you are using. Only then will you get a terrific sound that is balanced within the multi-effects unit and your amp.

It does take more time working with a multi-effects unit as opposed to using a couple of stomp boxes, but the cool thing about most multi-effects units and rack systems is that they let you save your settings/parameter values and then all you have to do is just plug into the fx loop and adjust your mix and channel level on the JVM.

I've worked with stomp boxes for various delays (tape, analog, digital, ping/pong, reverse, etc.), stomps for various modulation effects (chorus, flange, uvibe/rotovibe, phaser, etc.), multi-effects units (Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, Line 6 HD500, Line 6 XT Live, TC Electronic G system, TC Electronic G major, Alesis Quadraverb, Alesis Midiverb, etc.) and after awhile you will realize that they operate on some of the same basic parameters/values, which makes setup and tweaking simple. Unltimately, it's up to you to decide what sounds work best. Good luck with your setup.

4. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

Thanks for the great answers! Let me clarify, there is only one pedal in the chain and it is a boss dd-7. Even when off the amp exhibits boosted behavior? Not sure why? Any thoughts?

5. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

Yeah that happens. Some guys will put a special jumper in their loop to boost signal. Sorry, I don't know all the particulars, but it's more than just a 1' jumper; IIRC it has to have a resistor or something. But that's the point: It will boost it somewhat, noticeably even. My 401 does that when I have anything plugged into it, even if the effect is off.

6. alpha0steel

alpha0steel New Member

Well good to know! Haha thanks guys!

7. jon1917

jon1917 Active Member

Don't know the JVM circuit but with the JCM 900 DR's ( and probably most 900's) the FX loop uses half a pre amp tube, so when connected, brings this into play. I will often just use a patch lead between the IN and OUT. Plugging in a pedal will have the same effect. There are a number of very good and detailed reviews of this 'trick' on the site here. I'm sure someone who knows the JVM circuit will chip in.
    Great site by the way, haven't said that yet.