Ebay prices are insane now days.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kustombob, Feb 7, 2020.

1. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

The modded ones I find overpriced....

2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Prices cannot be insane....just the people that pay them :cool:

slide222 likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

True dat, and they can ask whatever they want..sold listings are what tells the tale.

slide222 and tce63 like this.
  4. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

You can still get JCM900's for less than $700 USD. Think about it. You can buy a Made-in-England Marshall tube amp for under $700.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Gutch220

How does one do this to protect themselves while selling? You just accept payment, then immediately unlink your account with Paypal? can't paypal retroactively charge that account? What's the best method?

tce63 likes this.
  6. Gutch220

I agree, this is the best method.

Also, for reverb and ebay, it's good to negotiate directly with the seller via messages, especially on Reverb, and double-especially if it's a local sale where you can offer cash right away. I've done this several times. Look for local deals and offer cash in person. It's hard to turn down $100 bills in your hand. No taxes, no fees, no shipping

tce63 likes this.
  7. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

in my case I acted on a hunch, I beat this little twit by 30 minutes ( i raced down to the bank) , I started getting messages from paypal soon thereafter.
    I immediately tried to quit paypal , and I got a screen that said, " this feature is temporarily unavailable", that screen lasted weeks.
    With a certain amount of glee I informed the buyer that he was entitled to send the item back to me, ( as those idiots at paypal had told him to do), but that in order for him to get the thing back, he'd have to pay me 20 bucks postage.
    That silenced the scammer, and paypal never followed up.

To protect yourself against paypal stealing from you, don't use paypal.
    You should understand that they can take money from you 24/7 at their own instigation, Dogs.
    Also, you can protect yourself of theft by paypal by nominating an account to be used by paypal that never has a balance that's more than the amount of the thing you just sold, drain the account as soon as the money clears and leave 5 bucks in there if you'd like. ( they won't seize the 5 bucks )
    I'm not sure if you can sell on ebay without offering paypal, I think you can. i buy a lot from ebay, I sell locally through online ads ( tax reasons) , I sell a fair bit.
    Fuck paypal.

8. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

if you go down the road of setting up a bank account specifically for paypal sale payments, after you tell paypal that your primary account has changed and provide them the new account numbers, go down to the original bank and get a teller to manually delete paypals access codes that give them access to your money. There can be up to 20 codes they can use to take money from your account, the teller will know what you mean and he/she will happily look them up and delete them one by one in front of you.

9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I've been using PayPal for 20 years and I've literally never had a problem with them or their service. No way am I going to stop using such a useful service which has facilitated so many easy financial transactions on the advice of someone else who's had a problem.

I won't reveal how much PayPal has benefitted me in any detail, but I will tell you that my total ebay sales over the last 20 years are definitely in six figures.

Relic61 and tce63 like this.
  10. Gutch220

But I'm thinking, what if you sell a high-dollar item to a scammer? He buys it through paypal, receives that item, then requests a refund but never sends back the item? It's such an easy thing to do.

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Ebay's system doesn't allow the refund to be issued until tracking information shows that the returned item has been returned to you.

I've had two cases of "buyer's remorse" where non-defective items were returned to me and a refund was forced, even though it was a no return limitation on the auction, but in both cases I got back the item that I sent out and they came back undamaged.

I know other people have had worse experiences. But in my case, I have no cause to complain.

These days, I always select "no returns" in the auctions check boxes, but in the text I type in, I'll offer a return or exchange policy of my own choosing,
    and ebay can't keep me from doing that. I typically items that I have a lot of stock on, and will exchange a defective item for one just like it. Yes, I do
    record serial numbers as a fraud prevention measure. "You sent back an item that I didn't sell you. No refund or exchange, scammer!"

12. Gutch220

Is it possible for a scam buyer to buy something, receive it, request a refund. Then send back a "bag of sand" just so the tracking shows a return shipment was made, then the refund is automatically generated, or do you have to approve the returned item?

13. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    It's a lot easier to sell stuff in the U.K. because we are a small country with lots of (too many really) people.
    If I ever sell premium gear it's with the proviso that they collect in person, pay in cash and test the item to their satisfaction before taking it. At any time before taking it they are free to back out of the sale for any reason, no problem. No discount though unless I have omitted an obvious reason to justify a discount.

14. AMPPILOT

AMPPILOT Active Member

economy is better than an many years , people have jobs, income has risen , people are optimistic. I see prices for luxuries, such as guitars are up some. People have more disposable income for fun items. Economic cycles

15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Actually, such things do best in mediocre economies.... not too bad, but not particularly good

It's when people have 300 - 500 - 1000 dollars to spend on a little "reward" for themselves, BECAUSE they cannot afford anything more significant (new vehicles, real estate, travel, renovations, etc)