Ebay prices are insane now days.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kustombob, Feb 7, 2020.

1. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

lets say you're buying a set of tubes from ebay.
    The government gets a cut from the sale, whatever that cut is, lets say 15 percent.this is called sales tax.
    the government is also taxing the seller on any profit he makes . the government calls this income tax.
    When you approach a seller with the offer of doing the deal under the table ( just a point blank " can you send me your email address " ), they usually agree because then they make more $. No-one likes being tracked by the government.
    You pay straight into his bank, and he sends you a ' gift'.
    Sellers have even offered to me items for less than the original sale price, as they save so much money over a period of time doing this.
    Once the first deal is done, well it's first name basis from that point on.
    "Andrew, this is Hans Gruber Sphinckell , I need some tubes what have you got?"
    - sent to his private email.

* you don't have to pay sales tax, and he pays less income tax.

Trelwheen likes this.
  2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Well-Known Member

Exactly. The big problem is people confuse asking prices with sale prices.

Some people don't like to admit it but we ALL benefit far more from our market economies than we suffer, but like anything it's not all gravy. If you are looking for fair value there are a ton of people out to prevent that.

You also have to remember anything of persistent value declines for so long then starts to rise as demand outstrips supply. Here in Australia as a general rule desirable cars and bikes decline for about 20 years then start rising. That's the point when the number for sale at any given time is below the number of buyers. I'm trying to buy a motorcycle at the moment and am frustrated by the stupid prices people are asking for the ones I want. Some of those bikes have been on market for over a year. Actual sales (which are scarce) tell a very different story.

I hate ebay for a lot of reasons but seller asking prices isn't one of them. The chunk they take out of each sale, customer support, the overly complicated auction fees....

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

The expensive Vintage Moderns I'm seeing on Ebay are all from 3rd world country's or Japan. I
    I see asking prices USA 700-900 frequently as I've been pondering the idea of piking up a mint one.

I don't see a problem with out of production Marshall amps prices. They are still cheaper than a new reissue most of the time and good deals can be had.

Trelwheen likes this.
  4. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

And they charge sales tax now as well...

MarshallDog likes this.
  5. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

Thanks all for your comments. I guess it is what it is. Myself I just buy new Marshalls or other amps now. No need to worry about old amp problems.

6. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Shipping is definitely a bitch. I have been selling a few things on eBay recently and am always paying more for the shipping than I ask for. Probably my fault but it is crazy that a 3 pound box costs over 20 bucks to mail one state over.

Lord know’s if my guitar ever sells I am sure to be losing money on the shipping charge.

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yup so when you include shipping, their prices better be good or Ill buy local if available.

matttornado and Trelwheen like this.
  8. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

There are several good points on this thread. Collectively perhaps we can agree that the cost of EVERYTHING is rising constantly across the board. Some things more drastically than others but it all adds up to all of us trying to get our wants and needs fulfilled at different levels. From eBay to the price of a gallon of milk. Very seldom does the cost of living decrease.

Trelwheen likes this.
  9. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

True.

It's funny how we all tend to see one side of an issue instead of the whole picture.

I remember once an old man complaining to me about how expensive gasoline had gotten.

"When I was your age, gasoline was 15¢ a gallon!"

Yeah, well you made $100 a month back then.

10. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member

MarshallDog and BftGibson like this.
  11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get the most you can out of gear, when selling. I think the key for buyers is "patience". Seems a lot of buyers, when they want something, they want it now. Well, to get it now, you either buy new or pay a premium used price. As long as there are impatient buyers, there won't be many bargains. I've gotten plenty of good deals on both ebay and Reverb, you just have to be patient, and keep a close eye on the listings.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    matttornado and Trelwheen like this.
  12. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

have cash, be patient..amps will come to you..at very good prices...just wait till the dude wants a mini something & dumps in a gas attack,,,then we he wants his big iron back go buy that mini also..both amps for the price of either 1 all by itself...if you are patient...also..there is no price for a tone needed....get it.when needed for job or band,, pay you make off it takes care of the mental aspect of it all in the long run

13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

75 % of gas attacks can be solved with multiple cabs with dif speakers to place amp in mix for application...or p90's in SG's for funk attacks..

14. guzzis3

guzzis3 Well-Known Member

That was a courteous post. Well done that person!

I cannot speak for America of course but here in Australia a lot of stuff is getting cheaper in real terms. Online shopping has decimated our local retailers and they have had to reinvent their businesses or perish. Big powerful retailers have cut prices to suppliers almost wiping out our dairy industry, all in the name of cheap milk.

We have a tremendous affection nationally for our farmers so there has been a bit of push back to seeing them squeezed but other vendors who haven't got that goodwill are struggling to survive.

For some years local businesses have cried fowl because overseas purchases under $1000 were avoiding paying good and services tax (like the british VAT), so it got imposed on all purchases even though the tax doesn't cover the cost of collection. What they missed of course is that the price difference was 10% or even 20%, when I buy online I'm typically paying half the local price. I'll pay a premium to support local business, but not double the money. For reference an american std strat or whatever the current equivalent is costs about $2200AU street say $1500US. What would you pay for an american strat new street price over there ?

15. DLW

DLW Active Member

Craigslist- just has become a waste of time anymore. 95% are listings by sellers ignorant of real world value and unwilling to take the proper loss on used gear.

Reverb and Ebay- prices have become higher than real world value on most listings. The majority of listings are old and these are mostly by music stores where the store employee or owner does not know the gear well enough or the real world value. Inflexible stores with situations like I took $800 on a trade in so I cannot take less than $800. Well the used market does not GAF what you gave on trade in. So the items sit there and clog the viewing because a store will not drop the price by $50 and take real world max value. Then after multiple of these items just sit there it gives the public the general idea that this is the new normal price so private sellers start selling for that price and it just spirals out of control.

I do not know if when checking prices of completed sales on Reverb and Ebay if it was the asking price or best offer as if you are watching a listing that ends it will not show what the offer price taken was. It may show later when looking up sales actual sale price taken

The Vintage Modern is a great example. If you do not sell your excellent condition 2466 VM for $800 or less then it will not sell unless someone is desperate. Its an awesome amp but real world value is $7-800 shipped. Occasionally less. Not $1149

The used market is flooded and its only going to get progressively worse. IMO sellers need to wake up to this fact and just sell their gear and take a little loss if needed even if they do not like it. Unless you have a rare or unique piece there are many out there competing with it.

Shipping and tax have become the biggest barriers in buying and selling and shipping has really gone up in the last 1-2 years for things like amps and guitars with their specific sizes and weights to box and ship. I have a bunch of Bugera amps that I may sell but may just keep. An amp head can now cost $75-100 to ship and insure if its destination is far from you. So you take a $300 amp and add $100 so you dont get burned and people may not touch it. You just ask $400 free shipping and they think your price is high.

Reverb has the best shipping discount on gear. I just sold 107 items in the last 2 months on a major selling/downsizing spree. Way better shipping discount than Ebay but you can still get burned.

Craigslist people want to come to your house for an amp and play it. No way. Too many weirdos out there. With CL you could list and amp or guitar for $1 and you will get an offer for 50 cents. No one believes its your real firm asking price. Aint got time for any of that anymore.

Tax has become a big barrier too now that buyers have to pay it. You cannot sell it for $400 people dont want to pay over $400 so they say max offer is $372 as they have to pay say 7% tax at $28 for $400 total max. So the seller has to be compassionate for the buyers tax situation to make a sale often.

Taxes shipping rates and general uneducated gear wise people are the problem as I see it. Reverb and Ebay are just the means to an end. Fees are locked at 3.5%. I love the fact that Reverb forced Ebay to lower from 10% to 3.5 to stay competitive. I dont like Ebay anymore. Awful customer service.

Reverb has always been fair and helpful when ever an issue comes up and they just deal with gear not toasters and rubber chickens and car parts and everything else under the sun.

I cannot argue with Reverb 3.5% fee and 2.7% processing which is a little less than PayPal who has/had been in bed with Ebay for a long time.

If people would just list and sell their gear for a fair price things would just move and money and gear would move and everyone would be better off. People are just funny about money and to be blunt....people are often stupid about money.... if you can sell something fast by lowering the price by 5-10% just do it as opposed to sitting on it for 6 months and eventually having to do it anyway and wasted so much time answering messages and refusing offers and holding firm. Just sell your shit and buy new shit. It all works out in the end. Give a deal get a deal. Have some fun. I am amazed at stores who will hold on to something for 2 years and have 20 offers they decline for 5-10 lower than asking price. Does not make sense. I know brick and mortar stores are facing major challenges right now but it would seem that cash flow would help them not sitting on gear like an egg that will hatch more money the longer you sit on it.

On the upside.... there are still sellers out there who price fair and sometimes even great deals so just have to weed thru the nonsense listings and search often.

Ok enough out of me!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Relic61 and kustombob like this.
  16. lvrocker

lvrocker New Member

No joke. Locally, there's one guy posting a Crate blue voodoo 120 watt half stack for $300, ok, that's doable. Then another guy posts basically the same rig for $800 and he says it's been studio rig so that's why I think it's worth 800. Good luck dude, just like you said, that'll sit forever unsold

coolidge56 likes this.
  17. Jon Ofjord

Jon Ofjord New Member

When gas was 29 cents a gallon I was making $1.60 an hour. You could buy a new Strat for $250.

18. agejaded

agejaded New Member

I bought a Vintage Modern combo (2266c) for £300 plus shipping last year, that’s less than $390. It’s in excellent condition, no marks on the tolex.
    Marshall prices in the USA must be mad.
    I’m looking for a 2525c and expect to pay no more than £400 used ($510)

MalcolmYoung and Jon Ofjord like this.
  19. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

ebay don't set the price ,the seller does , I collect old flexifoil blades (power kites)and I always buy off ebay , and when a seller puts one up , I can tell how quick it will or won't sell depending on how much money the seller wants , the ones that are reasonably priced sell quite quick and the ones that are a high price just sit there week after week , I have seen some on there for months ,purly because the seller wants too much money , and some catch on quick and reduce the price and some don't, and just keep relisting with their original high price

20. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Reverb is actually robbing buyers now by collecting taxes on the shipping fees also. WTF!:facepalm:

I'm weaning myself off those sites now. :nutkick: