Ebay prices are insane now days.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by kustombob, Feb 7, 2020.

1. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

I been a Ebay user since 2001. Marshall prices were fair most times. But now I see Vintage Moderns' Jmp ' ect for prices that are just crazy. One could get a VM head for $700 or about' now some are $1200 up to $2000. Crazy.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

And shipping costs have gotten way out of control, whatever you think its gonna be double it. :yesway:

Dont forget everything is negotiable especially used gear, offer less I always do and usually get it. :yesway:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  3. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Reverb is not much better but once and while a great deal comes up. Surprises me more that what is being listed today. $3000 dollar boutique models. Seems people are tight for money seeing these models up for sale! I can't even sell my Bugera. I want an SV20 so bad but I am not paying $1200. I keep waiting patiently for one I can afford. Hopefully sometime this year.

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon Ofjord like this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

eBay and Reverb are essentially the market for used gear, they reflect sales real time how are they insane? 50w used VM heads go for $750-$850, 100w maybe a little more. There are several on there now at that price, but yeah shipping is expensive. Saw one a couple weeks ago sell for $650. I took one in on trade last week and I checked Reverb for real time comps is why I know haha

When I first started playing if you wanted a used amp you looked in your newspaper. If you wanted to know about what something was worth you bought a big expensive book that pretty much gave you an educated guess and was out of date in 6mos. First world problems...get off my lawn!

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and GIBSON67 like this.
  5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Ebay completed auctions make for a really good price guide. I've been an ebayer for 20 years and I always have a fair idea of what something should bring thanks to the sold items listings.

I'm getting ready to list a Mesa Mark III blue stripe long head amp on Reverb or ebay or the Boogie Board classifieds. The amp is in immaculate shape with fresh filter caps and includes a road case. It should bring 1500 or so but I'd trade for certain classic Marshalls. (JMP or JTM era models only.)

6. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Yup, used to find decent enough deals but now.. it's jammed with nearly everyone demanding top dollar & beyond for their piece of frick'n gold! And on eBay,. everybody's $hit is frick'n golden!

Check out listings that have the 'Make an Offer' option available. You can make a fair offer & also back up that offer with your reasons why it's a fair offer by sending a message to the seller that he can see when he receives your 'offer'.
    Some cold hard facts, a call to reality & a bit of wordy razzle dazzle can break down the best of these King Midas seller types!

Another successful Ebay hint for winning is.. Get a bidding program like 'eSnipe' to do your bidding for you! This will help to keep you from over bidding.
    Going tit-for-tat with other bidders is too much like gambling! It triggers those brain chemicals like Dopamine & that gets you hooked on the bidding (gambling) process can get the best of us way too personally engaged to pull back & or stop bidding when prices go beyond what you really wanted to spend!

The last usable tip I got for 'winning' on eBay is to pound those 'New Listings' as often as possible! If you ever checked out the 'completed listings' for Marshall Amps / Amplifiers then you know that decent sale prices do happen. We just got to be on our game & be playing the game to win.

ok, last last tip.. if you're looking for a specific amp select to be notified when new listings for that specific amp appear for sale! Be specific or be prepared to be bombarded with EVERY new Marshall amp listing!

And again, you are right! eBay prices are ridiculous
    lately!

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Ebay needs to change its bidding system to a 15 minute rule to end the bid sniping. The way that works is that any bid within the last 15 minutes extends the end time of the auction by 15 minutes. Only when the bids stop does the auction end.

I can't be sniped when I bid because I decide what I will pay, and not a penny more, and I bid that amount in my one and only bid. You can outbid me, if you want to pay more than me, but it doesn't matter WHEN. Ebay's proxy bidding system handles the details.

No, ebay's prices are not ridiculous. Ebay's sold item prices represent reality. What stuff REALLY sells for here and now. And it's variable because both supply and demand are constantly fluctuating.

I've personally saturated a market or two selling certain kinds of surplus electronics on ebay. When I started selling, I was getting 400 to 600 bucks per unit. I've sold hundreds. I have lots left to sell and they move slowly at 100 bucks each. Because everybody who wants to play with these things already has one, courtesy of me.

Mr. Natural likes this.
  8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Its called the law of supply and demand. Shipping cost have gone up plus ebay and PayPal take approximately 13% of the shipping cost a Buyer receives which is not right but they do.

9. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

Even craigslist is out of hand now.

Kidlargo and kustombob like this.
  10. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

Our local craigslist prices are insane. Every seller fancies themselves as a used gear shop owner and stuff sits for months unsold. There are excellent deals on Reverb but you have to monitor the items you are seeking hourly. The few good deals go that fast. Like craigslist the overpriced stuff sits unsold for months.

matttornado and kustombob like this.
  11. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

You obviously sell schtuff & are looking at eBay from a seller point of view instead of a players point of view looking for a BARGAIN! Everybody demanding top dollar & too often waaay beyond does not serve me as a buyer well.
    Bidding wars do don't serve me well!
    Having to be present & actively paying attention to and bidding on a listing doesn't serve me well.
    Not getting what I want to buy doesn't serve me well.

Like the OP stated, it wasn't always like this. Now mostly everybody is a King Midas & their $hit is Gold! There is no arguing that used Marshall prices are up & deals are harder to find! Not impossible, just way harder to find. As a buyer, user & a collector of Marshall Amps I don't think one could in anyway say this trend is good for me or Custombob.

But Good, bad or Ugly, thats the way it is.

12. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Also when trading in gear at a store they always go by Ebay prices which is stupid. They always undercut you and give you a low ball price. I dread having to do this to sell gear. I am usually fair about prices and taking fair offers. There is an understanding but know when somebody is being a %$#@!

Relic61 likes this.
  13. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

The other thing is "vintage" amps are becoming less and less on ebay. 4-5 years ago when I was looking for a JMP 2204 MV, there were many, now you might find 2 or 3 and they are beat or modded.

Relic61 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

I haven’t bought a thing off eBay for years and won’t touch reverb.

Facebook market place and gumtree seem to be more reasonable at the moment and with a wider variety of gear.

Neil Skene likes this.
  15. MickeyJ

MickeyJ Well-Known Member

it's not the platforms that are out of control, it's the people bidding.
    And they're not out of control, they're just buying stuff that has gone up in value, partially because old stuff is better, and partially because the auction system squeezes every last cent out for the seller, which, really, it should.
    Don't forget that seller could be you next time, and you wont be criticizing the systems then, especially if you're selling old gear.
    I listened to a 2203 yesterday, and I was reminded of the reason why the old stuff is going up in value, new amps are crap.
    When rock and roll, really commercially pumped stuff (mtv) was alive, the equipment they used was beautiful stuff.
    Post 90's, ughh, not so sure.

MarshallDog likes this.
  16. MickeyJ

paypal- just dont use it.

it's not their fees that made me stop using them, it was scammer who tried to get a refund ( i was quicker on the draw than him, disabled paypal through my bank) on something he just decided he didn't like because the youtube clip didn't sound like real life.
    20 years ago I used paypal because i didn't have a mastercard, mastercard means i can buy whatever I want from wherever.
    Why allow a company to steal from me just because of a scammer?

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Great thread. I have been dumbfounded at the prices lately on ebay. I have been watching the prices of the old Line 6 Pods and it is completely insane. I bought my original Pod 2.3 back in 2001 for 299.99. They are still going for nearly 300 on ebay. I saw someone bid up a Pod XT to 350 the other day. For comparison the Pod HD costs about that price brand new. I have also been looking at ADA MP-1 pre-amps and people are bidding broken ones over 500 bucks. Makes no sense.

18. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, the prices on both ebay, and reverb are nuts for older Marshalls..and now they both charge state tax on top of that. It's getting close to the prices in the brick and mortar stores here in town..might as well buy local anymore.

Relic61 and Lance Chambers like this.
  19. MickeyJ

Complaining about ebay as a selling platform due to high prices is like a person throwing a dog out of a hi-rise building because someone ate a half cooked wild animal bought from the wuhan markets.

the real reason why people otherwise inexplicably buy some piece of half broken thing for good money is because some people on a internet forum told them that thing is a good thing, you know, don't buy v3.4, buy v3.4x!!

thank you god for ebay.

Your local music store would charge double/triple what they do now if it wasn't for platforms like ebay.
    What's really funny is that they buy off ebay, and just mark it up 100 percent and then someone walks in five minutes later and buys it.

Platforms like ebay took the monopoly element from major retailers, before ebay, retailers would secretly set prices amongst them, the prices to never get lower than a certain amount.

ebay means I can buy a thing off a russian or a siberian or a Japanese person, look ma, no middle man.

guzzis3 likes this.
  20. MickeyJ

the governments of course are sick of it.
    they can tax retailers, but it took them a while to tax privateers buying off ebay.
    the way around this is you just contact the seller privately, and deposit straight into their bank.
    Security issues are bullshit, I do this all the time, paypal protection is a racket.