early 80´s JMP 2204 low input?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Wenander, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Wenander

Wenander Member

can someone tell me what is the original thought with it?

just a lower volume clean channel kind of?

what is the difference vs the high ?

ive read some things on google, nd learnd ow to check if the inputs are "stacked" and they are not! so i guess my amps is a little less gainy than some others ...

Ive started to use the low input as soon as im using pedals and i love it...high input sucks for pedals. but now im in the market for a new pedal and i want some tips for a similar amps to try on in the musicstore. just any clean 50 watter with celestions ?

thanks !

2. tidbit

tidbit Active Member

I have a 2203 (JMP).

The low input is lower gain, more Marshall clean if that makes any sense. Might be 1 less gain stage, I don't know
    You are correct, you cannot jump the channels.
    My amp has plenty of classic rock / hard rock / early metal gain but it is definitely not Hi Gain modern metal
    99.99% of the time I used the high input. Works fine for pedal use for me. Never had a problem except with higher gain there is less headroom for boosts.

Are you looking for a high gain pedal? Have you tried the old familiar RAT? I'm actually using a clone R.Attack by Little Bear for more high gain sound though it's still not modern metal with it. More like mid 80's metal.

Wenander likes this.
  3. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

It’s actually a pretty useful input, the low one. Yes, a very usable Marshall flavored clean tone, and if you want to get two channels out of a single channel amp just add an OD to the low input clean and you’ve got clean and crunch.

I hit my 2204 low input with a Fulltone OCD and it rocks hard, sometimes I think more so than the typical high input, if that can be believed.

Our MF brother Alvis speaks highly of the low input on these amps and he knows tone!

Wenander and Mitchell Pearrow like this.