Dunlop Wahs

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Theycallmesabz, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

I actually did an A/B comparison with the dunlop wahs
    (actually an A/B/C/D/E/F/G comparison)
    I never liked the vox wahs or cylde etc etc so i went out and bought ALL of the wahs my local store had :) and returned ALL except one!!

standard/classic/slash/jimi hendrix/zakk wylde/EVH/buddy guy/dimebag
    (i know im missing a few but that will be updated shortly)

heres my review..:)
    (please excuse my lack of "proper wah pedal terminology", i didn't get a bachelors in this field)

Standard: we all know what this sounds like. a regular wah, nothing special,, i don't really have to write anything about this wah

Classic: we know that this has the italian phasel, which sweetens up the sweep,, makes it creamy and much more character.. only tonal differences between this and the standard,, the sweep is pretty much the same i think.. narrow?

Jimi Hendrix: now ive had the older model (all black) and the reissue (chrome) and i think theyre identical. what makes this wah unique is its rather long sweep and deep throaty wah. its very easy to break up this wah because of its higher mid end punch. its not an italian phasel so obv not as smooth.. but ive used this wah for the longest time and i love the long sweep of it. its a gradual wah with low end ive always liked it.
    compared to the italian phasel,, vocally it sounds more like a "WAH" whereas the phasel sounds more like a "WAY"

Zakk Wylde: This wah is based on the jimi hendrix as Zakk used the jimi before he had this one made. it has the same long sweep and throaty sweet spot but its more pronounced in its lower end. the majority of the sweep is in the low end and mid range.. as soon as u pass the mid range it goes straight up quick,, thats why i didn't really like it, its such a dramatic axis.. and the highs are very high as it also has a phasel...

Slash: this wah is identical to the classic. the only thing that separates this from the classic is the added distortion/boost circuitry. the fact that its run on 18v instead of 9v is a bonus because when you're not in "slash boost mode" this gives the wah more headroom before breakup, cleaner than a classic.. the added distortion takes away some bottom end but IMO gives you some more than decent slash tones if you play around with it. obviously used best for lead work, not your everyday rhythm wah..

Dimebag: pretty much the Q, with an added output jack on the other side for convenience. (i didn't have this wah for long so i cant make a thorough say on it,, however, the reason why i didn't have it for long is because i hated it so much.. it has all adjustable variables to suit your specific wah needs regarding sweep, volume, boost, etc etc,, also has a phasel.)
    IMO, the fact that you had all these adjustable parameters made this wah very artificial and digital for me. didn't like it one bit.

Buddy guy: again, didn't play with this sucker long enough for it to send some love back,, however i can compare this to the dimebag wah. it has a phasel i believe (could be wrong someone plz confirm?) but it also has a similar feature that can switch the parameter of the sweep (just like the dimebag) however you cant adjust it, only switch back n forth between "regular" and "buddy" mode.. cool wah..

EVH: this wah has the BIGGEST sweep out of all of them, definitely stretches out your ankle! lol cool paintjob (overkill for some) and a very uniquie EVH pot which makes this wah HOT HOT HOT, almost adding a little bit of distortion to your signal,, its all about the higher midrange and high end that really screams and makes your guitar come to life. its definitely too much when paired with a high gain amp as feedback and crazy high end noise will destroy your tone. this is an angry pitpull on a thin leash!!

the wah that i have decided to keep, is the slash wah,, i am going to go out and buy the EVH just for collection and to record with in the studio.
    for live,, i use the customshop rack wah ;)

what do you guys think,, like or dislike, agree or disagree? I hope this info helps, and hope that you think that this info is accurate too!!:dude:

2. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this post. Side by side comparisons are great.

3. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) This is a real sneaky way of introducing another frigging SLASH post....

he-he.

:io::io: TWIN

4. Pinelake

Pinelake New Member

In about every reply, part of my standad response is... it's whatever sounds good to you. So much depends or your guitar, pick-ups, amp and touch. No two people are going to have the exact same experience.

Wahs are wahs for the most part. The biggest factor for me is not ending up with something that kills, sucks or changes the tone. I did quite a few comparisons be fore my last wah purchase. I chose the Fulltone Clyde standard.

As someone said in an earlier post "I'm a strat into the Marshall kind of guy." Same for me... normally just plug the Les Paul or Strat in. I don't always hook the wah up. Too easy to depend on stuff at times. But they are fun.

Enjoy your selection!
    Indiana

5. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Good to know. The EVH stuff is always good.
    You didnt try the Dunlop 535Q? Thats got more sweep and features than the standard one.

6. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

i've done the same thing. for me & my sound the vox clyde worked best for me. i even bought the behringer hellbabe wah for a review. i loved the fact that it's that optic start or whatever ya call it(no button to stomp).i liked the fact that when i stepped on it it started from the heel down position but after a dozen(heavy foot)uses the pin came out & now it's stuck in the on position.
    i really like to do the randy rhoads chip pan flange sound in the middle of suicide solution(live).

7. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

The CFH sounds pretty damn good, not digital as you indicated..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

I use the MXR CAE Dual Inductor wah. Its pretty sweet. It is based off of the basic crybaby but is modded to wits end. It has a 20db adjustable boost on it, you can switch between red or yellow fasel inductors, You can also adjust the vocalness of each inductor by the 100k trim pots located on the inside of the pedal. giving you more vocal like qualities. Also it has a gain pot inside the pedal that lets you adjust it too. Over all it is a killer pedal. but it takes some time to set it up and get the right tone.

9. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

Thanks guys.

I did, but its the same as the dimebag no? i left it out because its the same thing isnt it lol (minus the paintjob and extra output..)
    yeah its got more sweep but IMO because of all the adjustable parameters and the things that adjust the tone, really sucks the tone... i mean i guess if youre dimebag or with the other thousands of metal players that play this wah i guess its not an issue (not knocking anybody) because you dont need transparency with all that gain... but i dont play with alot of gain and when i do, most wouldnt say its considered "alot" of gain...

thats why i favour the slash and the evh.. slash because of more headroom; it runs on 18v.. i rarely use "slash mode" and when i do its just for a boost, not that rather terrible distortion...
    and the evh is just very hot.. boosted if you will,, and has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sweep:thumb:

10. blues_n_cues

you quoted me & i didn't see "digital" anywhere in my post.........whats a cfh? is that what yer calling the vox clyde?
    just askin'...

11. blues_n_cues

it's a crybaby for god's sake.. you stomp- it goes wah wah...do it get any harder than that(sorry- good mood here)...:lol:

12. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

CFH - Crybaby from hell..

13. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

Sorry man, I quoted the wrong guy.. I'll edit it out..

John

14. BluesRocker

LOL.. You are right. But. It isnt just any Crybaby though. Try one and you will understand.

15. BluesRocker

Hey and has anyone here tried out the Jerry Cantrell wah by Dunlop?

16. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

Im very eager to try one out,, i dont think theyre available in canada yet so ill have to order one in.. they look pretty cool too i may have to snag one!!

17. BluesRocker

theres a demo on the dunlop website that I found. They do sound pretty mean.

18. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

to each their own..

For anyone that is curious how "slash mode" sounds like (distortion circuit) on the SLASH WAH,,, he uses it on this song,,, VERY distinguishable... can create this exact tone right out of the box if thats what youre looking for
    --you can really hear the added gain to his wah sound..

He uses it the whole song, but skip to 2:30 for his solo, if u want to cut to the chase.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXRpDc_RRA&feature=related]YouTube - Alice Cooper with Slash - Vengeance is mine[/ame]