Duncan or Dimarzio 57+ equivalent?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BowerR64, May 17, 2019.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I like the 57 Gibson but slightly hotter, or fatter sounding for a project.

I had a SH4 JB in a strat and it was to hot and bright

I did like a Dimarzio Air zone but ide like to try some others in the lower output or medium output im nto even sure what the Gibson 57+ is considered

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

57 Classic Plus is one of my favorite pickups I have one in my SG bridge, I just got another one to put in my Chibson. They are in the low to mid 8k range and can do anything. Sound fantastic clean, edge of breakup, crunch, high gain. Slightly hotter and fatter than a 57 is exactly what they are. :yesway:

You can find used ones under a hundred dollars all the time.

3. Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis New Member

How about Pearly Gates?

4. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Bareknucle:

5. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member

I have the Duncan Seth Lovers in both of my Les Pauls. Really like them.

6. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I hated the Classic 57+ bridge on my '13 Trad (the neck C57 was fine), it had a weird peak in the high mids and lacked girth. Okay, "hate" may be too strong a word, but it didn't work for me at all.
    I swapped them for a Seymour Duncan Slash signature set (which is a APH2n and a slightly beefed up APH2b), so similar output and vibe, but much more even response. It works wonders in that guitar. Basically all I wanted it to be. The Duncans are singing, biting, growling and have great clarity, the way a good Les Paul should. Super happy with them.

And yeah, I borrowed my Kramer's SH4 (my Strat also has a TB4, love it), and in the Les Paul it was WAY too bright and hot, basically turned the volume pot into an on/off switch, zero dynamics. Would work fine for Megadeth-style metal, but not what I wanted at all. It's absolutely fine in the Kramer (which is a pretty rare Paul Dean signature model, so mahogany neck-through with mahogany wings and rosewood fretboard, great guitar), so it was purely a wrong match. Still love the SH4, just not in this particular guitar.

7. BowerR64

Your right, after i posted this i went back and forth with a few guitars and decided i didnt like the 57+ either and wound up swapping all my guitars out with the 57+

I have 3 different sets 2 with the covers and 1 zebra open coil set.

The 57+ is a little to gainy and bright or something, thats what i noticed also was it seem to have lost some of the bottom end.

Pickups are a weird thing, some sound good in some guitars but not others. I didnt use to like an Epiphone probucker 3 but in one certain guitar it actually sounds good. Im not sure if its just the pickup or if its the guitar but ive had the pickup in a few other epiphones and i hated it.

I went to the duncan forum a few times in the past and those guys talked about swapping magnets and parts in the pickups. I wonder if anything can be done with the 57+ to make it sound a little better?

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  8. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Seth Lovers and Duncan antiquities are great, but if you want slightly hotter, you might like the 59/custom hybrid Duncan. it's half 59, half custom, about 10k output as opposed to 8k for the 57+. I've got one in my SG, best pickup for AC/DC tones i've found. Not hot by any means, but just a little more push than a PAF type pickup.

9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Maybe try a Gibson BB 2 or 3?
    I had an LP studio with the 57+ for a minute and I thought it lacked some girth and might even describe it as you did above, a little too bright sounding. Also have a 57+ in my epi. It works great in that guitar which is sort of dark sounding so, it compliments it well.
    I use Air zones in my Ibanez guitars. I have a BB 2 in my '19 Trad and I would describe it as very open and full but not as hot as the Air zone.
    I absolutely love the BB 1 in the neck on my '19 trad. It is the best sounding neck pup I have ever heard.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. BowerR64

i have an air zone in my Fender its got a fat big sound, its weird i dont find it that "hot" bit its like 17K ohms

i havent found a pickup yet for my gibson studio but might try an air zone

11. Michael Roe

I'm not so sure the resistance reading on a pup is an exact sign of how hot a pup is.
    I think the magnet material makes more of a difference.
    I have also noticed that scale length on a guitar can make a pup sound different. Like, lower output pups sound better on shorter scale guitars and hotter output pups sound better on longer scale.

12. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

57 Classic Plus is the goto Gibson pup at the moment. I've almost pulled the trigger on one.
    My SG has a 490T in the bridge and 498T in the neck...I am loving the 490T and making due with the 498T.

13. pedecamp

BB1 and 2 in my LP is my favorite like you describe open and full and not super hot, I tried them in my SG but it wasnt the same, the 57C+ is anything but bright like you describe maybe its the pots you use, my SG is on the darker side with the 57C+ and sounds huge I love it.

Mitchell Pearrow and Michael Roe like this.
  14. pedecamp

Put a 57C+ in the bridge you will love it, you can probably put that 490T in the neck.

15. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^^So you liked the 57+ better than the 490T for SG's? I really want to compare these...

Here's a quick vid...I like the 490T more in this vid.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  16. Michael Roe

My 57+ in my Epiphone isn't bright at all but when I had a 57+ in an LP Studio it was rather bright sounding. I think each guitar sounds different so pups can sound different depending on which guitar it is in. I have two LP studios. One is an '04 and the other a '16. They both have the 490R/498T pups but the guitars sound so different.
    I think the bottom line when swapping pups is you just have to find the right pup for that specific guitar.

17. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

The SD slash set sounds a tad better than the 57s. More articulate and expressive, a bit hotter.

18. pedecamp

Ugh I hate the 490 pickups that came with my faded SG, the bridge was too bright and the neck was too muddy, replaced them with a 57C+ and 57C, 57C in the neck is even a tad on the muddy for me I actually like the BB1 in the neck best.

19. pedecamp

I think it has a lot to do with the rest of the electronics how a pickup sounds in one guitar and different in another guitar. I played an LP that had the 57C+ in the bridge and I was like yeah that's what I want my SG to sound like so I got the pickup and put it in my SG and it was perfect. :yesway:

20. RobS

RobS Active Member

Yep, remember some guitars are wired modern, some 50's, different pot values and tapers etc etc
    Most EPI's are 500k lin vol & 500k audio tone and thats probably why the pickup sounded different in the EPI
    in my Traditional I changed out the standard 300k linear vol pot for a 500k lin and the 57+ opened right up. also did this to the neck pickup and wired both 50's style with orange drops....much better. Ive tried the 500k audio for volume but just find the roll off too quick