DSLHR-1 Headphone Volume Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Karaterick, May 22, 2019.

1. Karaterick

Karaterick Member

I just purchased a used Marshall DSLHR1 and find that when I'm using headphones I don't get much volume and there doesn't seem to be much texture and depth to the sound.

I've used headphones on many other amps and never had a problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this normal?

2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member

The manual say to unplug the speaker cable from the amp before using headphones.. I know it seems weird, did you do this?

Karaterick likes this.
  3. Karaterick

Karaterick Member

I did do it that way.

4. Gunner64

Yea I was underwhelmed with the volume, but it seemed to sound ok. Not the best headphone out imo.

Karaterick likes this.
  5. Karaterick

Karaterick Member

Its probably my biggest disappointment with this amp but it's a big one. I play through headphones a lot in order but not to disturb my wife and kids.
    It might be a deal breaker for me.

Is this a problem with the entire DSL line or just the 1 watt?

6. Gunner64

This is the only dsl I have with a headphone out. I don't use it so it doesn't matter to me.

I have a couple of solidstate Marshalls with headphone outs and they don't sound the best either.

Now believe it or not the Blackstar HT1RH has an awesome headphone out. That's what I use when I use headphones. Cheap too, usually under $150, I paid $100.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the same issue that afflicted many of the early-build DSL's. When you have the headphones plugged in, do the volume and gain knobs on the amp work properly?

JAC likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup, my Dsl1hr headphone out leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least. I thought there was something wrong with it at first. I don’t use that jack very much so I kept the amp,...besides I already have a low wattage amp with a superb headphone jack!

You see when I first recurved my Dsl1hr, the cab I ordered to go with it was out of stock, and my other cabs are 8 ohm. So I had no alternative other than the headphone jack to play the amp.

But if the main reason I bought the amp was for that, I would’ve returned it!

Here’s an amp that has a phenomenal headphone jack ,...I use it mainly for recording silently, or if everyone’s asleep. It just sounds great, and you have a choice of virtual cabs,...a 1-12 and a 4-12!

It sounds killer, it really does!! It’s a Bugera G5 Infinium, you should check it out @Karaterick. Also the amps got great features and is a solid amp,...Had mine for 5 years now and I still use it!

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow and steveb63 like this.
  9. Alter

Alter Member

I believe it works on the 0.1 mode when using headphones, maybe that's what makes the sound a bit weaker. The one thing I hated about all this (the only thing I disliked about the amp) is having to unplug the speaker to use the headphones. It means that, half the times, I will forget to plug it back in, which is bad news when powering the amp later :( . Thankfully I rarely use the headphones out .

10. Gunner64

Can't you use the emulated/ headphone line out into your laptop or other device and use headphones from there?..

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That another plus for the Bugera, it has a stand-by switch. You can see it in the pic I posted above. The headphone jack works while the amp is in stand-by mode,...nothing to unplug or re-plug!

12. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

@scozz....I have the G20 and that damn thing is a little beast...Some can say what they want about Bugera, but I like it just fine and its a little tank.....I have it paired with a nice 2x12 and when I really want to push some air a 4x12......I use the headphone jack on it alot and it works well....And its reliable as well....When others take a crap, the BOOG keeps on going....:cheers:

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup they’re great amps, oh I remember when they had all those quality issues, but that’s a long time ago now.

I did quite a bit of research before I bought my G5 and I found out plenty of things. Oh I had heard all about the quality problems they had years ago, even one reported case of an amp that caught fire!

I also found out a lot of information I didn’t know,....When Behringer suffered all the problems from when the Bugera line was first launched, the CEO of Behringer decided to make some big changes to the Bugera division.

He hired a new corporate head of the division, and that person made a personal commitment to vastly improve the quality of the amplifiers.
    So the fellow cleaned house so to speak, and in conjunction with the head of Behringer they did exactly what they set out to do!

Today Burgera Amplifiers are a extremely better product than the Bugeras of the past. In fact, they currently have the lowest rate of warranty returns in the industry.

Yes those Bugeras that blew up are long in the past. To illustrate that, I bought my G5 almost 5 years ago and they were, at that time, well into their improvement campaign.

Unfortunately it takes a very short time to acquire a bad reputation,....but a very long time to live it down!

14. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Agreed!
    I have never played thru one of their cabs, since I have a nice array of Marshalls to enhance the nice sound the Boogs put out...For the money its really a no brainer..Cork sniffers would never be seen with one:lol:

But a friend of mine had a bunch of expensive amps @ a local music fest when 2 of them decided to take a crap, I happened to have a Boog with me in my suv and I let him use it...Long story short his sets were not put on hold and the Boog saved his day.... Not long after he purchased a 6262 Boog and it tears the stucco off the cement block!
    To me they are reliable compared to some expensive cork sniffer amps....Don’t get me wrong, I still like my Marshalls but many need to take a hard look @ some of what Boog has to offer...

Mitchell Pearrow, steveb63 and scozz like this.
  15. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

My DSL5C has the weird headphone distortion. The amp itself works fine. I took it in for warranty repair and it still did it afterworth. I just use it in regular speaker mode for now. Oh by the way, I took it in twice. Once with GC which was no help and the second time with a repair place Marshall approved.

16. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

The thing I'm talking about is a known issue; Marshall is aware of it; and they have a fix for it. They've fixed several machines under warranty.

The newer releases don't have this problem...for obvious reasons.