DSL5CR used in apartment

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by sarde88, Aug 23, 2019.

1. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

Hello everyone,

It's my very first post on this forum and I have some doubts about the DSL5CR.
    First of all, I play guitar for hobby only in my apartment. I own a Gibson SG and a Roland Cube 30X transistor amp. I play mainly rock and hard-rock and it's high time for me to change amp.

By looking online I came across the DSL5CR that seems perfect for what I am looking for, as far as tones are concerned. Plus it has a 0.5W power reduction, that seems perfect for my situation. So I was really into buying it...

...but I found a convenient second-hand offer from a guitarist who is selling it because too loud to be used in an apartment. So I really got some doubts whether it is suitable for an apartment or not.

My actual amp is a transistor of 30 W and it has a "power squeeze" button to take it to 5 W. When playing the clean channel, I don't use this option and I keep the volume knob to 3/10, otherwise it's too loud (at least for my neighbors). For the distorted channel, I need to use the power reduction to keep the volume at 3/10 with variable distortion.

I've never owned a tube amp, so I'd really hear experiences from you. Considering my situation, is the DSL5CR an option for me? Or I will its use be too limited?

Using the DSL5CR with the power reduction always on is a good option? Are the sounds good? And mainly, is it still too loud even in this way?
    I've looked different videos on youtube, but I cannot really get a clear idea about the actual volumes reached.

Thanks for all your tipps!

tce63 likes this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

You should be fine. The DSL range has a really good master volume. I would recommend that you pair it with a single G12M greenback. They are less efficient and tend to break up sooner giving you better tones at lower volumes. Nothing will ever beat at a cranked tube amp but modern amps sound better at lower volumes.

tce63 likes this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I also think that it will work out great with the DSL5CR

And :welcome: to the forum, Cheers :cheers:

4. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

Thank you for the answers.

In your opinion will I be using the power reduction all the time or also without can obtain good sounds at low volumes?
    And mainly: will the DSL5CR be an improvement with respect to the cube 30X that I am using now?

tce63 likes this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Oh yes, a definite upgrade. What’s your budget @sarde88? The reason I’m asking is maybe even a better fit for you is a Dsl1hr and a 1-12 cabinet.

This amp IS an apartment amp, and it has a .1 watt setting. The Dsl1hr is $299 most places and if you’d like a matching a Marshall cabinet the Marshall MX112R is $249.

So for $550 you’d have a nice all tube Marshall set up perfect for an apartment.

The only thing that is not perfect in this scenario is the stock speaker in the MX112R leaves something to be desired.

It’s a Celestion Seventy/80 speaker and it’s quite bright and a bit thin sounding. So a speaker upgrade would be a good idea.

I actually own this setup, and I changed out the stock speaker for a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and the amp sounds superb!

Here’s a pic,.....

[​IMG]

tce63 likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Oh, and welcome to The Marshall Forum @sarde88!

A great bunch of guys here with copious amounts of gear knowledge!

tce63 likes this.
  7. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

@scozz I want to spend as little as possible, since I only play at home for myself, but mainly I want something that I can "fully" use and from which I can obtain decent/good sounds.

I found a second-hand combo DSL5CR for 250 $ still in warranty and to me it looks a good bargain.

I also considered the combo DSL1HR, but I find it too limited and a little bit expensive for what it offers. Of course, your solution would do the trick, but it is over my budget and I'd prefer a combo for being more compact.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

The price of 250 $ must be a great price :agreed:

steveb63 likes this.
  9. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

@tce63 Yes, no doubts about that.

The only thing is: will I be able to use it at its best/acceptable potential even keeping low volumes?
    Because now with the 30 W I feel really frustrated and the power compression to 5 W doesn't really sound good at all...it's like being in a box...

tce63 likes this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

Yes I think you can, and it will be a big upgrade from your Cube.

I used to have the DSL20HR and run that one with a 1*12 Cab with Creamback, and i could play it at home in our apartment with a great sound without disturbing the Neighbors.

Of course, it sounded better when you increased the volume, but it sounded perfectly OK in bedroom volume.

I use to run mine in low power mode (5w) all the time

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    steveb63 and scozz like this.
  11. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

Perfect. I've just contacted the guy and tomorrow I'm picking it up...
    I really hope I won't regret it :=

Yes I totally agree, at higher volumes a Marshall is like heaven...but yeah, my neighbors don't really agree on that...and I don't want to get a fine.

steveb63, tce63 and scozz like this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

You won’t regret it @sarde88 ,.....

,....and if by chance you do, you most certainly will be able to get your $250 back out of that amp.

tce63 likes this.
  13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

Congrats , I think you going to be happy with it, the DSL series are great amps

scozz likes this.
  14. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

Thank you guys!
    I'll let you know tomorrow evening my first impressions...

tce63 likes this.
  15. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@sarde88
    First, welcome to the Marshall Forum! :wave:
    Next, that amp will likely be the perfect unit for your needs. Though the speaker could be a bit better, it is not terrible. A really neat feature is that when/if you ever want to get out of your apartment and occasionally jam with folks, the 5 watt, full power setting will be fairly respectable, volume wise! :cheers: This will be even more true with a speaker upgrade, either internal or an extension cabinet.

Out of curiosity, what general part of the world are you located in?

Just My $.02,
    Gene

16. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

@Gene Ballzz Great! Unfortunately I don't know anyone to jam with...and honestly I am not that good either. I only play for fun in my spare time.

I am located in Belgium :-

17. sarde88

sarde88 New Member

Guys, I'm just here shortly after an intense afternoon playing with my new DSL5CR.
    WOW, I think it is really perfect for what I needed and the volume can be adjusted so that it is ok for an apartment.

Yes, it gives its best at high volumes...but also at lower ones or with the power reduction, I was impressed by the quality of the sound. There's really no comparison with my transistor amp, it is totally another planet. I honestly don't know how I survived that long with that transistor amp...

Thank you guys for the advices and support given :)

SkyMonkey, Delete!! and tce63 like this.
  18. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I owned a 5CR for the better part of last year. It was absolutely a fantastic amp for low volume playing. I found the power reduction button to be extremely useful, especially for late night practice when my wife and kids were asleep. I don’t like to use headphones so the 5CR was just right for low-volume playing. In fact, I miss the amp and have been considering buying another (or maybe a 1CR).

tce63 likes this.
  19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

HNAD, congrats
    Just play it loud :jam:

Cheers :cheers:

20. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear it is working out for you. The effects loop on this DSL series is pretty great for certain time based effects also! My only disagreement with your comments/observations is the it is not simply "There's really no comparison with my transistor amp, it is totally another planet," but rather a totally another universe/dimension! :h5:

HNAD, & May You Long Enjoy Your Glowing Bottles!
    Gene

tce63 likes this.