DSL5c - The Ultimate Lo-Power Amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of modeling amps some bought, some gifts but no tube. I'm seriously looking at the DSL 5, I might splash out a little extra for the Vintage or Western one since they would suite the decor of the house and help convince my wife to let me get one.

It will be my first tube amp, hopefully it really can be played at a reasonable volume. I've not been playing that long and play worse when self conscious lol.

[​IMG]

Micky likes this.
  2. drinkbeerbefree

drinkbeerbefree New Member

The volume that comes out of a dsl5 can be extremly reasonable at times. :hbang:
    That i can tell you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Solid State and Antmax like this.
  3. Jay76

Jay76 Member

That vintage one looks lovely! I didn't know they made one with that grill. I got the Country & Western one and it looks great with all my rustic wooden furniture. The brown covering looks like old brown leather. Love it.

4. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

I hadn't looked closely at the Country Western one before, that's really nice looking.

5. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I just ordered the CW one. The vintage one seems to be really rare and Amazon had a few CWs left. I also have a CODE 50 I was thinking of upgrading the speaker on. It's a shame that they have impedance on opposite ends of the chart (4 vs 16 ohm) otherwise I could use it as a multipurpose cab/temporary effects unit.

Anyway, thanks to Amazon prime it arrives on Thursday :) Then I have to decide whether to get rid of the wireless spider V 60 under my desk.

6. markuskw

markuskw New Member

Where do I get my hands on one of these vintage models?? Are they new or location specific??

7. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I only found one on reverb and it was in France + extortionate shipping ($710.29 total). Way beyond what I was willing to pay. There's a DSL40c Vintage going for a similar price at Woodwind & Brasswind inc shipping here in the states for $700+tax and free shipping.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Quick question.. I'm thinking of getting an 8 ohm Veteran 30 speaker to install in my Marshall code. If I wanted to use my code as a cab for the DSL5c would adding a high watt 8 ohm resistor in series with the speaker work? and if yes, what kind of impact would it have on tone?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. drinkbeerbefree

drinkbeerbefree New Member

I got my 12" Greenback M today. I could not wait to put it in. :run: It was tighter than I thought it would be. Had to bend the tubes slightly out of the socket to avoid contact with the speaker. After I have put it all together again, everything works, but it's to late (after midnight) to test it thoroughly. A short test at low volume revealed that the bass is a lot less dominant compared to the ten30. I would even say the bass is a little weak, even with the deep switch engaged. Could this be to the fakt that the speaker is new and not played in? Besides that all sounded very clean and balanced. We will see what the next days (and practice sessions) will bring.

test.jpg test1.jpg test2.jpg

When the speaker has settled and my nerves are calmed down again ;) I will take a look at the tubes. But maybe I will need some help from someone here that is more experienced than me (almost everyone).
    So conclusion: The Greenback fits in. Nothing gone broken. Sounds ok for the first try, better than the ten30. I am happy. :fever:
    Thanks to Micky and everyone who shares his knowledge here.

11. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I got my DSL5c yesterday and really like it. I have a Code 50 and noticed quite a difference already. I don't yet have a reverb pedal only a tube overdrive so I'm a little limited. But it's the picking dynamics and control knobs on the guitar that are noticeably different to the solid state amps I've use in the past. I feel that the tone knob finally works like it is supposed to. Before it always seemed to be like a variable blanket that rolled of really quickly. With the tube amp it seems to have a lot more usable travel.

Anyway, I'm really liking it, being used to the bottom heavy code the 10" speaker doesn't have punchy lows, but it does pick up the dynamics of your playing and I understand the organic feeling people talk about when referring to tube amps. I also like that my wound strings no longer sound muffled beyond the 15th fret.

I want to upgrade the speaker in both the CODE and DSL to 12" so I'm currently looking into how to find a useable compromise between the impedance between the two. ideally I'd like to add a speaker input jack to the CODE giving me the option of using it as a 1x12 cab with the DSL rather than buy two seperate speakers.

It's a really cool amp, even without reverb. I'm looking out for a Hardwire RV-7 or possibly the Hall of Fame. Though I like the more natural Lexicon licensed effects of the Hardwire.

12. markuskw

markuskw New Member

I am looking at replacing the speaker. Going to go with the G10 Greenback. I apologize if this is the most basic question, but do i order the 8 ohm version or the 16 ohm??

thanks in advance

13. Ozark

Ozark Member

You have to go for the 16 ohm G10 Greenback.

14. Deemic

Deemic New Member

Hi All,

I'm new here and find this forum, and especially this thread to be an incredible source of information.
    I'm really itching to swap the stock 10-30 out of the DSL5C.
    I've needed to roll the treble back to "2" to get a decent bit of tone out of this amp.
    For anyone who swapped out the stock speaker to a Greenback G10, I'm wondering is the "bite" and pick attack still somewhat present? Or does it give the blanket effect.
    I don't want to completely lose that dynamic in my playing.
    I guess my fear is that I'll end up with too smooth of a top end and sound muddy.
    I'm using SSL-5 bridge, CS69 middle and CS50 neck pups.
    It's not easy to find good sound clips on this configuration.
    Ideas? Suggestions?

15. markuskw

markuskw New Member

im curious for the above question also, before I go and swap out for the g10

16. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Why is everyone replacing the speaker?
    I Thought the Ten 30 was a nice sounding speaker.

Wouldn't an extension cab be a better route?

17. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Probably just that it's cheaper and people bought a combo for compact size and portability. Mostly for playing and practice at home. Most of the WGS speakers that are most popular are in the $70 - $80 range. Cheaper than most used cabs around here.

wakjob likes this.
  18. TarNhaK

TarNhaK Member

hello im new to this forum , i buy the dsl5c and is not dead quiet at all

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  19. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

Those two jacks just lying on top of Your amp? They're not by any chance plugged into the effects loop, no?

If so... Remove them... If not... Disregard this post...

TarNhaK likes this.
  20. TarNhaK

TarNhaK Member

oups yes the cable are in the effects loop, but i have the same noise without the cable in effects loop but less, i make another video this video have no cable in effects loop.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017