DSL5c - The Ultimate Lo-Power Amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. adam183

adam183 New Member

:jam:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Ozark

Ozark Member

Hi casey99, I bought a Celestial G10 GreenBack 30W 16Ω too, and it's on the way. Kindly advise, do you have to solder it or it is just unplugging and plugging in the speaker wires as it may comes with connectors? Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

I bet it will sound great.

4. Frank S

Frank S Member

It is just unplugging and plugging.

JAC likes this.
  5. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

A Strat with Texas Specials going into the green channel, with the Bogner La Grange boost will give you a sweet singing sustained tone, which is very attractive to my ears.

Micky likes this.
  6. Ozark

Ozark Member

Thank you for your info. Much appreciated. Looking forward to receiving it from my daughter (Berkeley, CA) when she comes back to Singapore.

JAC likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico New Member

Hi everyone....where do i introduce myself? Sorry my english is bad, but my portuguese is fine (i´m from Brasil...hehehe).
    I bought a Celestion G10 GreenBack 30W 16Ω too...sounds much better than the Ten 30. teste.jpg ampli.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    JAC likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico New Member

Hi.. i found the 'Introduce Yourself` area... and today i played a lot with G10 GreenBack 30W, uau, it´s other combo. A very good upgrade, now the EQ works more sensitive and sounds "full".
    Tanks everybody for the good material here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  9. Atlas82

Atlas82 New Member

Hi. I am from Spain and I am new on this forum. I have just introduced myself in the right thread. I have a dsl5c and it is time to change the tubes. I have read this whole thread, measured the bias, and obtained 95.9 mV in the stock Marshall 12BH7. I have measured the plate voltage, and I have obtained 430V. So I think I got similar results as yours.

I would like to thank you for this thread, because without it I would not have been able to verify the BIAS. Now I am waiting some TAD tubes.

Greetings

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Micky likes this.
  10. Atlas82

Atlas82 New Member

11. Blueslicks

Blueslicks Well-Known Member

In my local store...

dsl_5c.jpg

JAC and Micky like this.
  12. shaftpolls

shaftpolls New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new here as well, I would like to thank everyone for sharing experiences here. I'm also a happy owner of one 5C.

I would like to ask you if it's possible to change the power tube for a EL34. If so, what sound difference should I expect to get ?

Thanks a lot everyone

13. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

It will not take an EL34.

14. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

No. As JAC stated above it will not take an EL34. It is designed for a 12BH7 (ECC99) only.
    You CAN however change the preamp tubes and change the tone a little.

JAC likes this.
  15. AndyP

AndyP New Member

Hi folks. Not been a member on here long and still finding threads popping up that look really interesting - like this one!

Great seeing so many fans of the DSL 5. I bought one for myself as a birthday present back in July 2016 and still love it. I've had no issues at all with it really, it can hum a wee bit at times but nothing major and I'm pretty sure it's related to the house electrics rather than the amp. I've only been learning guitar for just over 2 years so I don't ask very much of my gear to be honest as I'm still learning so much that the biggest difference at any time is me myself, and the DSL is perfect for me. I play on the 1 watt mode at home and even then it's only on about 1/4 volume on either of the channels and coupled with a small selection of pedals I've basically ended up with every tone I could ever need from the wee DSL. I mostly play rock and blues with the occasional foray into heavier stuff and "lighter" clean stuff. I have no issues with the clean tone, to me it's absolutely what I want - I'm not a big fan of jangly cleans.

When I went amp shopping I was aiming for the Blackstar HT5R and when I tried it in isolation I was quite pleased with it. I also tried the (then brand new) Fender Bassbreaker 007 and finally the DSL5. For me the DSL was the clear winner. The Fender was fine but very basic in terms of features and didn't seem to sound of much at all, so I discounted that first and sat jumping between the DSL and HT5R. The more I played them, the more bland the Blackstar sounded and despite the HT5R having the bigger speaker, what seemed to be better quality materials and a few more knobs, the DSL was the winner for me. I've really never got on with the Blackstar ISF feature either, I find it a complete pain to get a tone that I want from these. "Bland" is really the best way I can describe how I found the HT5R.

Anyway, after 7 or 8 months of daily use I'm still delighted with the DSL5.

Andy

drinkbeerbefree, JAC and Micky like this.
  16. Jay76

Jay76 Member

Hi fellow DSL5c owners! I just got mine and I'm loving it. I appologise in advance for posting this twice, but can anyone tell me which is V1,V2 and V3? I want to swap out V1 for a Tung Sol that I have lying around. Thanks

JAC likes this.
  17. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

... Man, now I want one... Actually I had settled for a CODE for starters but that CCW sure looks sweet!

Atlas82 likes this.
  18. riefil

riefil Active Member

Jay76 this what I posted a few pages back. Hope it helps!

Jay76 likes this.
  19. mad5066

mad5066 Member

Hey All, I bought this amp back in December and am really liking it better than my class 5. I'm changing the speaker to a celestion G10 gold as I have a 12" greenback cab I can always use. I tube rolled to decrease the gain and give more headroom with the clean channel. But I'm not really feeling the overdrive channel as much. But I'm thinking of decreasing R6 to 100k from 220k to reduce the gain a little on both channels, that way I could use 12ax7s or 5751s. I plan on installing a choke once I get everything to my liking.

20. Jay76

Jay76 Member

hey thanks for this! sorry for the late reply.

I replaced the speaker with a Greenback after reading all of the positive posts here about them. It took a good few hours before it sounded good (to my ears). At first I wondered if I had made the right speaker choice.

I also replaced all 3 pre amp valves with Harma Retro valves (from Watford Valves) and I put a TAD in the power section.

My god I love this amp now. It sounds better each day. It absolutely sings and I can't help but turn the vol up and end up with ringing ears.

Dare I say it (and I can't believe I'm actually saying this), but when comparing it to my stock SL-5 (which was my favorite amp) It's like taking the blanket off when I switch to the DSL5c.

The DSL5c is just in your face and so articulate.

I prefer it for both cleans and dirty tones.

I am using a Hardwire pedal for my spring reverb through the loop. Nice and transparent.

Fuzz face and wah through the front for Jimi inspired tones and dirty blues.

Channel 2 amp gain for heavy rock.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Antmax, Micky and riefil like this.