DSL5c - The Ultimate Lo-Power Amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. patrick2099

patrick2099 New Member

Is this the proper power tube type for this amp?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/12bh7a-str-tube-amp-doctor-premium-selected

Thanks.

JAC likes this.
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes. That is what came stock in mine.
    I like it so much it is still there.

JAC likes this.
  3. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

The TAD tube works just beautiful. You have to give it a listen and right off the bat you realize how good it sounds.

4. Ozark

Ozark Member

Hi, any of you people uses the BOSS GE7 equalizer? Am considering of getting one for my DSL5C. It's better to get feedbacks from end-users rather then sales people or even youtube videos. Apart from the EQ uses, will also use it as a solo boost too. Appreciate all feedbacks and thanks in advance.

5. Frankiepags

Frankiepags Member

Ge 7 is a good pedal , but if your gonna get an EQ pedal might as well get the 10 band dunlop one more bands to adjust. What are you trying to accomplish with it?

6. Ozark

Ozark Member

Thanks for your info, will check out the 10 band dunlop if they are available here in Singapore.
    Well, will use it mainly as a solo booster.

7. srmd22

srmd22 New Member

I have been eyeballin' these recently on reverb. From reading this thread, it sounds like you need to replace the speaker and hack into the cab, and drill a few more speaker mount screw holes to get a good sound out of it, at a minimum. I'm not clear if it needs a tube change? Does it need a capacitor lifted also, like with the 40c?

I can't decide - I am kind of lazy, not sure I want to buy a new amp and then immediately carve it up for a speaker swap (I would swap in another 10" without a worry though). Plus the complaints about lack of getting a decent clean sound are worrying me.

I guess I'll probably pass for now, but I am still curious about this model.

8. patrick2099

patrick2099 New Member

I actually liked the stock power and preamp tubes in the DSL5. I just wanted to make sure I was ordering the right thing, since I am really unfamiliar with the ecc99's, and the idea of using a preamp tube as a power tube. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Frank S and JAC like this.
  9. casey99

casey99 New Member

I put a G10 Greenback in mine and it was a vast improvement over stock. Then a 12ay7 in v1 got me the cleans I wanted. These small changes made it the perfect amp for me!

JAC and Micky like this.
  10. ryechua

ryechua New Member

just curious... has anyone ever found out which resistor was replaced for this channel switching issue? i would like to try it on my amp as well. thanks!

11. Mercury_82

Mercury_82 New Member

Hello everybody, thanks for all the information in this thread.
    I have a question:
    I have recently started playing again (after a 15 year hiatus). I bought the DSL5c and a PRS SE Bernie Marsden (thick Mahogany body, Maple top LP style) . I chose the amp especially because of its "home-friendly" 1 W mode, because I'm living in a tenants Appartement. I do really like the sound of the amp, in particular the classic gain channel with cranked volume. However, as soon as the Volume gets to 12 o'clock or beyond, the bass gets really flabby and farty, when playing on the lower strings....and I can't really switch to 5W, because of the volume.
    Would a speaker change reduce this? And if so, would a 12" be preferable, would a 10" work as well and are there any recommendations for a replacement ? Stylistically I like stuff from heavier Blues to Metal, any tips would be much appreciated.

12. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Does not sound normal to me. Take it back if under warranty or maybe you got a bogus power tube.

13. Micky

Turn down the bass.
    Also, experiment with the Tone Shift/Deep switch.

Unfortunately this is a characteristic of a 10" speaker, it is just not designed to reproduce the lower guitar notes cleanly.
    You may also want to try plugging into an external cab, many times this totally changes the tone depending on the cab...

This is another reason many of us have swapped in a 12" speaker (with a few mods...).

cornhusker86 likes this.
  14. Mercury_82

Mercury_82 New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.
    I don't think it's a tube, because the flabbing only emerges when the volume gets beyond ~ 5 - 6 and it disappears when I turn down the bass (or switch to 5W with equal volume).
    Currently using the amp with bass between 4 -5, deep switch off and tone shift off (don't like the tone shift anyways, even for metal). It's fine this way as long as I stay below ~ 5 Volume (1W mode), when using the neck pup on my PRS.
    The main reason why the "flubbyness" is a problem at all, is because I really like the sound of the amp going into harder overdrive on the classic channel, so I need to turn it up. And to keep my neighbors happy I need to keep it at 1W.
    I might try a 12" speaker in a separat cab, since everyone in this thread seems to agree that a 12" massively improves the amp. Would a WGS Reaper be a good match? Thinking about putting it into a Palmer 1-12 unloaded cab, since I don't really want to void the warranty on my DSL.

Thx again :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  15. MexicanMike

MexicanMike Well-Known Member

Damn, I wonder why you guys would modify the DSL5C, it's such a great little amp stock, it really is. I love mine.

JAC likes this.
  16. Micky

Because it can be better.

10" speakers are for kids. REAL guitarists use 12" speakers...

17. MexicanMike

So you know better than professional engineers?

18. Micky

Are you a kid?

19. MexicanMike

If your mods were so awesome, you wouldn't be fixing to get rid of your DSL. I'll keep mine stock, thank you.

JAC likes this.
  20. Micky

Enjoy.