DSL5c - The Ultimate Lo-Power Amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Robo

Robo New Member

So i got message from my friendly tech saying that ...

1)loud pop ( harsh thump he called it ) - DC leak resistor replaced

2)new ECC83 tube fitted to stop hum

I should have it back on friday and will add a comment if all of it worked :):shred:

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Find out which resistor it was if you can...

3. Robo

Robo New Member

I will ask him when i pick it up.

4. stillrockin

stillrockin Well-Known Member

i think the new Satriani model will be better but louder
    so, for bedroom
    i don't know

5. tao

tao New Member

Thanks or all the great info in this thread, really helpful!

Got a new DSL5c on Wednesday. Love the sound through LP, played a couple hours testing out different settings. Wednesday night played with Grado headphones, pretty loud since the Grados are easy to drive (32 ohm).

Thursday at lunch went back to speaker output and the volume kept dropping in and out (about a 50% decline, couple times a minute for several seconds). Troubleshooted for a couple hours:
    Same results on classic gain or ultra gain, on normal power or low power mode, at any volume (well, really only tested up to 5 or so).
    Same results with different guitar and different cable.
    Didn't seem like output tube since guitar straight into FX return didn't cause issue.
    Had some spare 12ax7 tubes from home stereo, individually swapped a good one into V1, V2, and V4; still had problem so ruled out preamp tubes.
    Nothing on the circuit board looked obviously wrong, i.e., loose cable or broken solder.
    Odd thing is that touching or slightly depressing the tone switch button almost always immediately resolved volume drop (no other button or switch had any effect).
    About to give up and return to Amazon when one more test... back to headphone mode with the Grados and couldn't get the volume drop to happen after several minutes?
    Went back to speaker output and everything is fine??

Played a couple more hours last night and no problems.

Another hour today and no problems.

Any ideas on what could have caused this? Debating whether to exchange it. Would prefer not to have to ship it back and be home for delivery again, but maybe that's better than it happening after the return period?

Thanks for the help.

6. Duffy49

Duffy49 Active Member

N. Central Pa. on S. bank of Susquehanna River

Interesting. The power amp tube is the same as in my new Blackstar five watt head, Blackstar HT5-RH, a 12BH7. This amp, HT5-RH, is also an awesome amp thru my Avatar two by twelve vintage style cab with twin Eminence Swamp Thang speakers. Super awesome.

7. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

Awesome thread guys! Thanks for your efforts and sharing a lot of info. I'll be getting one of these amps as soon as GC sends it via UPS, hopefully sooner rather than later.

What has intrigued me with this amp are the simple mods and tube changes that can be done. It is all pretty well explained. BUT, is there a simple guide that shows the monitoring points and how to set the tube BIAS?

It seems that all tubes are biased from one trim pot. That makes things more simplified. But never having done such a thing, I'd appreciate a step by step guide, if one exists. I've checked for quality amp techs in my area, but they are like hens teeth.

Thanks!!

EDIT:

Did some searching and found this video regarding biasing a DSL 40C. Studying this thread, pictures from post #31 showed the similarities between the 5c & the 40c pc boards after viewing the video. However, the 5c has only 1 bias trim pot & the test pins. Post #144 further details the test pins and factory set bias trim points. Post #258 summarizes biasing the amp plus describes the range/effects of bias adjustments within the prescribed range. Setting the bias on this amp seems very straight forward.

Many, Many thanks to Micky, Mickey and the others that have posted their mods and outcomes. I'm really looking forward to getting this amp!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. Micky

Check to insure all the tubes are seated in the sockets properly, also check all your cables.

9. Memdroid

Memdroid New Member

I was lucky I got a very good deal on this little combo a couple of months ago. Just barely for $250 (230 euro's) in mint condition. I really like it, but I liked it even better when I connected it to my SL5 speaker. Because I have limited space in my house and even two of these amps can take a lot of room I have to choose to let one go. But I really like BOTH of these amps through the Celestion V30 speaker. Than I figured out a crazy idea. I don't know if it is doable and I really don't care about the economic loss, but is it possible to turn this combo into a little head without much hassle? I mean, removing the speaker and cutting down on the empty space and install the original bottomplate can shrink the size considerably. It won't be really pretty though.

10. Micky

It is possible, but why butcher it?
    Just plug it into a small external speaker?
    Stack it on top.

11. Ozark

Ozark Member

Hi Micky, this thread is very informative and great for people wanting to hop on to their very first Marshall amp or even low wattage all valve/tube amp.

I am still contemplating between the DSL5C to the Backstair HT5R H (Head) coupled with the Vox V112NT-G2 Cab (1 x 12 Celestial G12H)??? :hmm:

It gonna be a tough decision though, but am very incline to go with the real-sound thingy (Marshall DSL5C) then the wanna be - sound in your head (Blackstar HT5RH).

I play mainly rock, blues & metal and mainly at home. Presently, am using a
    Vox VT20+ (Hybread Amp).

So, shall I go with the DSL5C? Any comments or advise?

12. Micky

If you can, demo them both in person.
    Having never played a Blackstar, I can't really comment other than that.

At least purchase from a reputable dealer where you can return it if you don't like it.

13. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

Having played many blackstar, they sound cool at first, then very, very bland.

The only one I really think has any character, is honestly the little 1w combo with reverb. I think that is the best sounding lunchbox tube amp, for what I play. Don't have one though. Don't need one.

But man, I've played a lot of freaking Blackstar, looking for that sound... and it just isn't in there. Not in the ID:Core, not in the other HT, etc.

Buy the Marshall.

14. Ozark

Ozark Member

Hi Micky & GibsonKramer, thanks guys for the quick response.

Will definitely try them out from both dealers in Singapore prior purchase.

Are there any DSL5C owners out there using it with the Vox V112NT-G2 Cab (1 x 12 Celestial G12H)??? Am thinking of going this way instead of modding it with a 12" speaker.

tazz3 likes this.
  15. tazz3

tazz3 Member

Im ordering this amp tomorrow, i just got a Laney cub 10 its nice
    But i have a les paul, something is missing from this amp
    The dsl5 has more settings and stuff so i will be happy

16. vintage_blabla

vintage_blabla New Member

Any news on this particular resistor Robo?

17. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

I have an external 1x12 cab with a 16 ohm speaker. I can easily unplug the combo speaker and plug the 1x12 cab into the amp's speaker out jack. Now I have a 1x12 amp. I got to thinking that why couldn't I use the combo speaker in tandem with the cab and now have a 2x12 amp? My thought was I could run the amp both ways, as a 1x12 or as a 2x12 mini stack of sorts. Modding the amp from the 10" speaker to a 12" speaker now makes a lot of sense.

However, I am no electronics expert. I do understand that I need to keep the amp impedance the same as the speaker impedance. With just the single cab, no combo speaker, I'm fine.

I came across this. A parallel Y splitter for amp speaker/cabs.

From what I understand, the splitter will see 16 ohms at the plug end at the amp jack, but the resistance will be halved to 8 ohms / leg of the Y cable. Going back to my initial idea of being able to use both speakers at the same time, will using the two 16 ohm speakers still be a problem? From what I understand, the amp will still see 16 ohms, each leg will be only 8 ohms with a 16 ohm speaker attached.

Is this doable? Can the two 16 ohm speakers be utilized in this fashion?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  18. Micky

You need a load of 16-ohms total.
    A parallel splitter as you describe will give you an 8-ohm load if used with 2X 16-ohm speakers.

Theoretically, you could use 2X 8-ohm speakers with a series splitter...

Sorry.

19. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

So, the load going to the amp would be only 8 ohms through the splitter?

20. Micky

Correct.

GibsonKramer and Sailindawg like this.