Dsl5c Discontinued

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JAC, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that they have stopped making this amp. I'm glad I got mine when I did. The only problem I've encountered with it is the cheap headphone jack. Marshall told me on facebook to contact US Music, regarding this problem. I left a message with US Music. These sound excellent with the TAD power tube. Marshall stops making great amps sometimes, I wonder if poor sales has something to do with it?

Frank S likes this.
  2. Frank S

Frank S Member

Interesting…

I just bought mine a week ago….and I assumed there is an issue with QC:

The first I received had some major resonance...I could already feel that something inside the chassis was vibrating just carrying the amp. (Manufactured 7/2016)

The second one had loud crackling sound coming out independent from volume or channel….like a faulty capacitor. (Manufactured 6/2016)

The last one (the one I finally own) has only some resonance on the "clean" channel on the low A note on the E string when playing loud clean ..I am not liking it but they all seem to do it when playing very loud clean. Usually I will not play that loud at home anyway. Moreover I am plugging this usually into my 412 cab where it is not an issue and the DSL5c sounds very nice through it. (Manufactured 1/2016)

MexicanMike and JAC like this.
  3. MexicanMike

MexicanMike Well-Known Member

Hmm. I am absolutely shocked by this. Discontinued? QC? I was in the market for DSL5c, I think I stay put for now. If they d/c the DSL I will wait for them to put out a new product.

4. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I've had my dsl5c for a year and a half with zero issues. If it's been discontinued I'm sure it's because it's not selling well compared to the 40c. It's a great little amp.

5. Frank S

Frank S Member

I really like my DSL5c as well.

I compared it sound wise to the DSL15 … plugging them both into the same 412 cab in the store.

I was hoping that I like the DSL15 more because it has Master Volume on the Classic Gain channel and comes as a head as well, but I liked the tone of the DSL5c so much more.

I tried the DSL40 as well, and it is much more versatile than the DSL5, but I have to start getting my GAS under control considering that I only play at home :)

6. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats the cool thing about Marshall they hold their value so well if you find a good used one you can play it for a few years then get just about what you gave for it.

Jim knew what he was doing when he made these amps color scheme GOLD

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Not to 'dis on the DSL but they need to stop making them and move on to something else like a 20 watt micro amp like the rest of the market, reissue some more models like they did with the mini Jube. They need to standardize and stop making stuff all over the place - 1 watt, 5 watt, 15 watt, etc., they need to make a 20 watt design that switches to all these other wattages, every other company is doing it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Gunner64 and 12barjunkie like this.
  8. MexicanMike

Yes, that's a great idea if you are trying to become a boutique company like Mesa/PRS but I think Marshall is trying to emulate Fender & Blackstar is trying to emulate Marshall. They want to hit each money bracket so you can spend $50 - $5,000 on an amplifier. BowerR64 is right though that Marshall holds their value incredibly well. I sold my DSL40c for a mint Takamine EGS523C absolutely one of the best trades I ever made & that's with my DSL being broken at the time. With that said, if the DSL is discontinued, I look forward to seeing what's next in the lineup.

9. Plectrum

Plectrum Active Member

Marshall tweeted the praises of the DSL5C a couple of days. They wouldn't do that for a product they've stopped making.

MexicanMike likes this.
  10. MexicanMike

Wouldn't make sense for Marshall to NOT have a 5 watt amp. (side note) Miss my DSL40c that sob would get me noise complaints in a hurry. I'd really like a 5 watt tube amp.

11. Frankiepags

Frankiepags Member

That would be crazy if they did that , In all honesty 500$ is a lil pricey for a 5 watt amp but it's worth it's weight in gold to me ..love my Dsl5c. Glad I got one new for a killer deal..Big company tactics never shock me these days its all about the dollar. .

12. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Yeah, they should blindly just do what others are doing even though they have a wide range of offerings ;(

13. pedecamp

Speaking of blind, I don't know if you noticed but there's a whole trend of micro amps taking over the market, even Marshall is getting into it but only breaking the surface on what other companies have been doing for awhile. Marshall has an opportunity to fill some obvious gaps in their offerings and widen their range even further, I'd like to see them do it and be successful with it. :yesway:

14. MexicanMike

How about a .25 amp, all tube. I'd buy it.

JAC and pedecamp like this.
  15. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

I like the .25 watt sounds on my Vox AC4TV. I would love if Marshall made an amp like that. I don't know if it is true or not but, I read a little while back that .01 watt tube powered amp would be the perfect bed room/ den / etc. amp. On the anniversary Marshall amps they go to .1 watt which is still loud enough to tick off neighbors if you have thin walls in your apartment.

16. MexicanMike

Yessssss, AC4TV. Exactly where I got the idea from.

17. MexicanMike

That has to be an engineering marvel though. Is it possible? Sorry, if I am blabbing but I had a few drinks. Marshall is known for their distortion, I'm not saying their clean is nice but not Vox nice. Hear me out, in order to get screechy shreds, you must increase gain, gain increases volume. At .25 watt they would have to be masterful to pull that off!

.25 would be excellent, a 1w/5w is likely the best we're going to get. Which isn't bad, I live in a tight space & my 1 watt does not bother any of my neighbors, 5 watts at 3/4 cranked probably wouldn't be too bad.

In conclusion a .25 is genius, I'm just not sure if it's possible. The DSL5C/1C is still sufficient for headphones without destroying your ears.

Final statement, it is easier to produce chimey cleans on a .25 watt Vox but how is the distortion at low volumes? I am curious in my search in what is better? The AC4TV or the DSL5C?

18. Frankiepags

Frankiepags Member

JAC where did you hear this ?? I Haven't heard or seen anything about this.. Please let us know enquiring minds want to know..

19. pedecamp

All they really need is a built in attenuator in their amps, Orange does it in most of their full sized amps, my Orange TV50 has this feature and it works great 0-50 watt with the turn of a knob. :yesway:

20. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

I wish I could remember where I read about the .01 watt. The lowest I know of is .1 watt. Also on facebook I read a response from Marshall stating that the DSL5C was being discontinued. I'll ask them again to see what their response is. They had me hook up with a repair guy about 30 miles from me. He told me so far that my jack was fine on my DSL5C. He suspects the problem is somewhere in the circuit. Either way, it is under warranty.