DSL5C Channel switching popping sound inherent in design?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by LeatherWings, Jun 17, 2015.

1. LeatherWings

LeatherWings New Member

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I might post a real intro in the intros section later, but onto the issue I'm having...

My DSL5C makes an audible popping sound when I switch from the Ultra Gain Channel to the Classic Gain channel. This happens regardless of whether I use the front panel button or the footswitch. I've read about this problem several other places online, but none seem to have any definitive info.

Here's a youtube video of the same exact issue I'm having: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB6qkAqAbyc

The person who posted the video said that all the DSL5C amps he tested had the pop. So, my question is to you all: Do your DSLC's have this pop sound when going from the Ultra Gain to clean channel?

Thanks!

2. LeatherWings

LeatherWings New Member

Here's another video from YT where the player switches it from ultra gain to clean right around the 5:27 mark, and I hear no popping sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duxj1qJpSc

I'm inclined to think that this does not happen with every single DSL5C, so if anybody could please chime in, that would be great!

3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Mine doesn't pop when switching channels.

Does it do it when nothing is plugged in?

4. LeatherWings

LeatherWings New Member

Yeah, it does it even if there's nothing plugged into the input jack.

So yours makes no pop whatsoever? Not even a faint one?

I went to Guitar Center a few hours ago and tried out one of the DSL5Cs on the floor. It made the same popping sound, albeit a little quieter. Now, mind you, it's not a super-loud pop on mine, but it's noticeable at a range of volumes. It's less noticeable when the strings are not ringing. Hmm. I wonder if it's just a thing where some do it, and some don't... :scratch:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. klon999

klon999 New Member

Hi mate,
    I have just got brand new Marshall DSL5C and found out that we are on the same boat. Both channels sound nice to me (although there is also some small background noise in 5W mode, not in 1W/0,5W mode), but I encountered the same problem as you have - really singnificant popping sound when switching from Ultra Gain channel to Classic Gain channel. Popping is only smallish, if the guitar strings are not ringing (you stop playing and mute strings before switching the channel). But once you want to switch channel seamlessly without stopping to play, the popping is quite loud, sounding like the speaker could not stand that change or something...
    Have you found any news from the time of your post? How did you solve? Did you use your warranty or did you take it as it was and did not bother to return it to seller? Any information would be appreciated.
    And also - after some time of use - how satisfied are you with your DSL5C?
    Thanks a lot :)

6. LeatherWings

LeatherWings New Member

I ended up returning the amp to the seller, but then picked up another used one at Guitar Center. It ended up having the same popping noise. At this point, I'm willing to just deal with the fact that DSL5Cs have this sound when switching channels. I spend most of my time using the ultra gain channel anyways, so the amount of switching is minimal. Still a little annoying, but it's such a great amp otherwise. I love the sound.

Again, I love this amp. I may try a Celestion G10 Vintage speaker at some point, as I'm a big fan of Vintage 30s.

I brought it along to a jam session with a drummer and other guitarist. With this thing sitting up high, it could sort of hang in a band rehearsal situation, but it would get drowned out a little bit when the drummer got real aggressive. I bet if I had the DSL5C plugged into my 1960AV 4x12, it could handle a full band situation, for the most part.

So yeah, I love my DSL5C, and it's the perfect (aside from the popping) little amp to have along with my DSL40C

:hbang:

7. klon999

klon999 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I might end up the same as you, as I love mainly Ultra Gain channel of this amp :) However, the best would be to solve it somehow, as somebody replied here, that his amp works without popping... Also after a bit of googling I can see that sometimes even Mesa and Peavey owners face the same issue (again only switching from overdrive back to clean channel)...one of them got it fixed during warranty being told that the "popping" is normal and must be there, but for this purpose there is some "mute circuit" inside amp, which mutes it for this tiny moment while switching. This did not work, so they just fixed it...
    I am so pleased to hear that you still love your DSL5C, as it makes me feel even more like I did good decision to buy it :) I guess that your DSL40C does not suffer from popping...(BTW, DSL40C is nice machine to consider also for me, but would be way too big and loud for my flat)

8. LeatherWings

LeatherWings New Member

Yeah, the DSL15 would be a good in-between option too (if you can live w/out FX loop), but I like having the 40 and the 5. The 40C actually sounds remarkably good at low volumes, but you obviously aren't going to be able to get that power tube drive at a reasonable decibel level. So that's the beauty of the DSL5C... Even in my apartment, I can switch it to 1 watt and play for a couple of minutes with it turned all the way up to get that full tube saturation and sweet, sweet dirty tones!

9. Frankiepags

Frankiepags Member

I thought there was some mention of this in the ultimate dsl 5 post , if I remember correctly someone had it fixed and said it was a resistor or capacitor pretty simple fix if I read it right, and I only read the whole post 3 times so far all 25 pages , yeah I am pretty obsessed with this lil amp, check the post.