DSL50 vs DSL20HR

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Hey everyone! New member here! I have a lot of guitar amps but I'm starting to discover how much I love Marshall. Simply for the fact that these amps just always seem to cut through the mix and sit very nicely between the other instruments. I've owned a few Marshall amps and I already loved them but now I really am a fan!

I have a Marshall DSL 50 JCM 2000 as well as a DSL20HR that I've recently got in a trade. Both are cool amps for sure! I had another DSL20HR a year or so ago that I bought from a store but it had a really bad hum so I returned that and exchanged it for the DSL 50 which I've had since. I really dug the idea of the DSL20HR so I had to give it another try. Since I got my DSL20HR (or even before that) people have asked me about how the 2 amps compare, so I thought I'd offer my 2 cents and a comparison video/demo.

The DSL 50 JCM 2000 is made in the UK. I'm not sure in what year mine was made but I know mine used to belong to a well known gear/backline rental company so it came with a nice flightcase. I love how this amp has 2 channels with each 2 voices. This amp can do pretty much anything from clean to heavy rock stuff. The added 'deep' and 'tone shift' voicing options are nice for tone shaping. What can I say about the sound? Well, I'm no Marshall expert but to me it does a great job of producing that classic marshall sound with some extra versatility. To me this amp does have a 'vintage' touch to it but I'm used to modern rock amps.

The DSL20HR is made in Vietnam. Just like the bigger DSL 50 this amp has 2 EL34's in the power section. Some of the features are different. The reverb is digital for example and the deep switch has been replaced by a resonance control, which is pretty great actually. This amp also has only 2 modes as opposed to 4 on the DSL 50. There's the classic gain channel and the ultra gain. This amp has a bit of a different sound than the DSL 50 but to your ears this might be subtle. This amp tends to have a little bit more sparkle in the top-end and a bigger low-end surprisingly. The DSL 50 on the other hand sounds a little bit more organic and vintage-y.

Both are really cool! The DSL20HR may be cheap but it's a great little amp! Try it out first in a store though to see if there are no hum issues. The DSL20HR is just a tad more modern sounding EQ wise. I'm currently looking at a JVM401H because I just really love how these amps sit in the mix...

I would love to know what you think of these amps, the video and if you guys have any experience with either or both of them. To compare the amps directly you can skip to the isolated segments near the ending. There are also timecodes in the description.

Marshall DSL 50 vs DSL20HR:

rolijen, stephs, Musicmaniac and 6 others like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I welcome you to the Marshall forum.
    Excellent first post, nice job on the clip, and comparison.
    Excellent tone and playing skills as well bro,,, thanks for sharing them with your new family.
    Cheers Mitch

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    scozz and Guitarjon like this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thank you! It's good to be here!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

It’s a Nice Review over here too !!

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitarjon like this.
  5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

GuitarJon, welcome :cheers:to the Marshall forum.

Mitchell Pearrow, Guitarjon and Jon C like this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thanks! :) My JVM410H gets shipped today.... I'm excited! Also nervous since it's a used amp. It got new tubes recently though.

pedecamp and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

One general recommendation: is that you turn it up really loud.
    And you should do so immediately.

8. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Noted! :)

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

:welcome: To The Marshall Forum! Lots of great guys here with a plethora of information regarding Marshall gear and other gear.

I enjoyed your video, nice comparison. It seems to me these amp are closely voiced.

10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thank you! I'm already getting good vibes here!

11. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

It’s hard to believe you just joined Jon…… There’s a different vibe here than TGP in a Big Way …

12. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Hi Jon! Yes indeed! I love it! :)

13. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

You’ve always been very gracious over there ……Lots Of Insightful Discussion ……

14. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

Welcome both amps sound great. The JVM 410 has a real nice tight low-end real good for fast runs with percussive sound and well defined note separation. I have a 2010 model year and it has been a tank never any problems. When the 410 arrives I would love to have a review from your perspective on it.

15. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thanks! I do love talking gear. In some areas I can be quite a nerd haha so I won't often stop babbling as long as people engage.

Oh absolutely! I'm planning on doing a very in-depth demo as well with a wide variety of styles and guitars.

16. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great demo brutha. DSL50 all the way for me. More full on all channels. I like how you played with a "band" and also without, so we can just hear the amp. Excellent production. Is all that gear in the background yours???

17. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Thanks! Yeah all of that stuff is mine...

18. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Very well done.
    Welcome to the Marshall Forum.
    BP

19. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Cheers! :)

20. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I got my JVM410H today! I'm super stoked! It's used but it seems to be working well. I really like this amp. The clean tones are good, the crunch tones are pretty good but I need to experiment a bit more to get the tones I'd want from it. The OD1 and OD2 channels are really good! Super tight and as saturated as I need for high gain rock and metal. Playing this amp is a really different experience from my DSL's, that's for sure. The DSL's have a more loose and vintage feel overall whereas the JVM definitely feels more modern on the OD channels. Really cool amp! What I also love: - 3 modes per channel! This gives a LOT of tonal options! - Resonance and presence controls. I would love it if every amp had this.

Of course I will do a full on in-depth demo soon but it's also going to be fun to include this in comparisons!