DSL40CR vs JVM215C

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by SkyMonkey, Sep 7, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well I've been and tried it out with my own Charvel Self-Built guitar (in signature), and I don't know if it was the demo booth acoustics that let it down, but I struggled to get inspired. The booth was quite small (couldn't get more that and I had to sit on the floor with the amp to get a clearer listen to the actual tone. Sat on the stool, the amp was almost right by my ankles.
    The range of gain levels was impressive, but the lead channel basically sounded like the same amp on different gain settings. I know this sounds stupid, but the JVM is advertised as being a range Marshall amps in one box.
    One thing I did notice was that the Lead channel (on this particular amp) was a fair bit woolier than the clean channel, not as sparkly. I tried to EQ but it seemed to drift over into harsh territory. And the lead channel red still didn't chug in the way I wanted it to (I am part metal head).
    The speaker may not be helping in these aspects too. It is the only Marshall amp utilising the Celestion 8 Ohm G12B-150 (which incidentally, after playing for about 20 mins, I noticed was connected to the 4 Ohm speaker jack!). I already have a spare one of these that came out of my 1912 cab, so this was the first time I have gotten to hear it used in anger. Is the G12B a bass speaker (as some have claimed, Frequency Range - 60-4000Hz) as the 215 was quite rumbly and could probably do with a different speaker installed.

Overall impression:
    The demo booth was too small for an honest appraisal of the 215. I couldn't get more than 2 feet away from the amp.
    I was wondering if my 1912 would be a good pairing with the 215 if I reinstalled the G12B, but now I am thinking that would compound the wool and rumble issues I had with the tone.
    I have a 60W G12 Century Vintage that I could try in the 215 (I only play at home so no worries about that) to see if that fixes the wooliness of the lead channels (and slim off 7 lbs). Or even a G12T-100 (which I do like!).

The bottom line is that I cannot afford to buy this amp outright (£499), some downsizing will have to occur (DSL40CR, VS65R, Metal Zone, BOSS DR-880, Roland A500PRO keyboard, ZOOM A2 effects, Pocket POD), and at trade-in prices, still have to top up the balance. I have downsized before and been left wondering if it was worth it.
    I would be taking a punt at the tones opening up in a larger space (but still not that large!). But I do think it would sound far better out of that demo booth (and in my Man-Cave).
    I think the stock speaker has to go. That would leave me with a pair of G12Bs that could be future goers in an open backed 212 cab?

But would I just be swapping apples for apples. I am happy with my DSL40CR setup. But this JVM seems to have been sent to taunt me. But with a bit of tinkering and it could be my amp-for-life!

Arghhhhhh!

Will think on it. Cheers for all your advice guys.

scozz and Micky like this.
  2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have the JVM 205 combo, which is a 50 watt 2x12. The amp comes stock with G12 Vintage and G12 Heritage speakers, and this amp is my amp for life. I did have a DSL 40CR for a time, and did get some good tones out of it, but as a gigging guitarist, I really need the tonal versatility of the JVM.

If at all possible, you should try the JVM in a better acoustic setting. I couldn't imagine any amp sounding good in those cramped quarters. Good luck.

3. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Frankly I didn't care for the sound of the stock G12B speaker. I'm running my 215C with a Marshall-labeled G12 Vintage but in the past have also had a Chinese Vintage 30 in that amp and both sound worlds better, to me anyway, than the stock speaker. To your point about chugging, I found the stock speaker too woolly and boomy on the bottom end to get a good palm muted tone on the lower strings. The V30 variants stay much more tight and focused in the bass, and the high-mid emphasis gives the amp more projection as well.

As good as the master volume is on the JVM, I think it still needs to be turned up reasonably loud to start giving up the goods, at bedroom volumes it's just OK and probably not much of an improvement over the DSL. Once you get the JVM up past 3 on the Master (assuming the channel volume at least a 5) then it really starts to open up. If you can run it to 4 or 5 then honestly I find that even the Green mode of the OD channel has enough gain for Van Halen I sounds. Playing it in a small room with the speaker pointing at your knees is not a good representation of what the amp can do.

Jethro Rocker and SkyMonkey like this.
  4. SkyMonkey

So I have spent the afternoon at home with the DSL and have decided to take my foot off the GAS (for now!) and stick with the 40CR.
    It is a killer tone. My set up is just how I want it, and not worth rolling the dice without being able to keep it if I do decide to get a new amp.

5. SkyMonkey

Thanks again for all your responses.

6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we know the foot doesn't stay off the gas for long :). My wife said if she had a dime for every time I said I'm done she could buy herself a PRS lol.

Sounds like you I are on a similar page regarding the JVM. I'm sure it's a great amp - just maybe not for everyone, but I'm willing to give it another try some time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

To me my 40CR just gets better every time I play it. After setting the bias at 35 as opposed to 32 it is now so good that I just don't need anything else - either at home or to the gig.
    After pratting about with lots of amps over the years I'm sort of shocked that I can get everything I need from a 'budget' Marshall. I even played some real jazzy clean stuff the other night at a jam and it sounded spectacular.

KraftyBob and SkyMonkey like this.
  8. SkyMonkey

Surely the DSLs are not classed as 'budget' when there are CODEs and MGs in the lineup?
    I do think that a trade-in on the 40CR would be soul destroying though. I paid £499 in a Christmas event at Richtone Music (my LGS) and have now seen them second hand there for £349 in perfect nick! So probably only get £200, tops!
    What I should be doing is saving for a new Zilla 112 cab to pair up with it, and then that could be a rig-for-life setup.

KraftyBob likes this.
  9. SGFA

SGFA Member

Did you try it?* I'd do like that, ty it and if you fall in love, go for it. It depends on the tone you are after imho...

*edit: I missed 2nd page where you explain it all1 :)

SkyMonkey likes this.