Dsl40cr Vs Jvm215c

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by lorenzar, Apr 24, 2018.

1. lorenzar

lorenzar Member

Since the new DSL40CR is out and quite popular from what I'm hearing, considering its new features and the fact tge JVM prices went down lately, I think it's fair to compare something like the DSL40CR with a JVM2, the 215C being the one making most sense.

For people having both or played on both, what do you think (speaker asides) ?

LCW likes this.
  2. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Are the JVMs still made in the UK?

3. lorenzar

lorenzar Member

Yes, I think so.

4. LCW

LCW Active Member

Had to look up the JVM215C... damn nice amp! Crazy how much control the footswitch provides.

5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

JVM, without a doubt.

But I'm biased, I own 2.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Right now the DSL does not utilize the 6 button footswitch as far as I know plus you have shared EQ on 2 channels. To me the 6 mode and footswitchable JVM with EQ and made with that heavy duty quality wins the prize if you have the budget.

7. LCW

LCW Active Member

Key words right there... new for new the JVM is 2.5x the price. To me it’s not 2.5x the amp.

DSL it is. :p

8. lorenzar

lorenzar Member

Current prices are not far apart though. In Europe at the moment :

-DSL40CR = 829 euros
    -JVM215C = 1190 euros

So currently the JVM is 1.4x the price.

That's why I think it's fair to compare them, anybody looking at the new DSL combo might be looking at the JVM line too since price went down.

Personnaly I have a JVM205H. I dig it ! Always been intrigued by the supposedly better OD1 sound on the JVM4 line, but my OD on JVM205 is cool to me.

I have an SL-5 for home practice but I find myself not using it much these days, I actually prefer using both my 20W Peavey for home use (Classic 20MH and 6505MH). I also have a JMP1H that's a big dust collector. I had it for sake of having a non-master volume amp, vintage look and everything, but realisticly, it's not an amp for me.

I don't know if I would sell the JMP1H, might keep this one just for the sake of having it, although I prefer to play on my JVM for those types of sound (or the SL5 actually or the Classic 20MH).

But I can see my SL5 going away and why not replacing it with another Marshall combo (which I also use as a cab at home, my 4*12 being stored at my practice place, I don't play much the SL5 but it's my cab for the Peavey at home).

Now I could replace it with a used JVM215C, that would cost less money than the new DSL40CR and I already now I love the amp and it could replace all my low wattage amps.

But I'm always a bit reluctant bying stuffs, "I already have". Less fun to me. That's why I'm intrigued by how the new DSL40CR compare to the JVM combo. Always cool to add another type of sound/amp...but on the other hand if the JVM can do everything the DSL does and better, there's no point (and realisticly, between SL5, Classic20MH and 6505MH, I've got everything I need for home use, hell, my JVM205H sitting on an appropriate cab would be everything that I need ! ahah!)

Just curious to hear from people having both. Me I'm gonna try the DSL40CR as soon as I can.

Jethro Rocker and LCW like this.
  9. LCW

LCW Active Member

Interesing... In the US, the 40CR is 749 USD retail, and the 215C is 1849 USD retail. Much larger diff.

10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Same here in Canada big diff. But again, if the budget fits, buy right once.

11. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Buy one of the Demos/B-stock or used.
    I got my 410 for $1500 as a B-Stock and the 205 as Demo for $1299.

To me...they were worth it, and in a way...yes it is 2x's the amp with separate EQ controls per channel.

12. lorenzar

lorenzar Member

Didn't know the prices were so far apart in the US/Canada.

In Europe they really dropped down the JVM line since the beginning of 2018.

I remember seeing the last JVM HJS for something like 1200 euros...I hesitated too long and now they're gone (and seems nobody sells them anymore).

To go back to the topic, I had the chance to swing by a guitar shop yesterday and could play both the DSL 40CR and DSL20H and CR.

Well first of all, tone wise, I think the DSL40CR blows away the 20. It's not even close (unless you don't use much gain or maybe you can also compensate with pedals). 20 can't crunch like the 40 (of course you can set OD at a low gain setting, but it wasn't as good to me as the 40 on crunch mode or 40 in OD mode with low gain).

And for high gain, the 40 go way further (remember I'm also coming from JVM world, so I realise now I can easily find an amp lacks gain, although I don't go beyond 11 or noon on OD amber on the JVM).

That was just for the comparison between both DSL 20 and 40.

Now this DSL40CR is a very convincing amp. Very manageable, good tone, versatile, you can play it anywhere from your bedroom to a big stage. Good amp for the money for sure, and the V-type speaker seems to be a cool one.

Now, I wish I could have played a JVM combo next to it, always better to A/B in person rather than doing it "in your mind", but I'd say there's some beef, punch and low end the JVM has on OD amber that the DSL can't do, even on DSL-OD2, which is actually a very usable mode to me.

Now I quite liked DSL40CR sound as I found it pretty clear and tight, really straight forward and easy to use.

If they would have done a lightweight head (with the sound of the 40), I would have probably bought it.

Now in this current shape as a combo, maybe if I find one used down the line to "upgrade" from my SL5 for home use.

13. G the wildman

G the wildman Active Member

In short. The new DSLs are good But the JVM is better. The amber on the Clean, where I live is great.

The red does modern metal.

The Green clean sounds better than a fender. IMO

Also all guitars seem to sound great on a jvm

G

14. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

I adore BOTH amps. and have both Not the 40CR but the 40C with a vintage 30 in it.

15. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

i did the head conversion and it turned out to become my main amp..just the right amount of power to dime it .. currently in the studio and i did first 3 on my plexi and then made my combo into the head. I can set my first channel pretty darn close to my plexi but the ultra channel..well the gain is just the sound i was looking for..kept the first channel theme and ultra just is the tone i was looking for....actually caused a song writing shift..dead inn the middle of a 10 song deal..it is that good of a head !

16. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

17. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

Ive owned them both. No comparision. JVM by a mile.

18. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I briefly had a 40CR and currently own a JVM 210H and 205C (which is a 50 watt 2x12 combo), and I much prefer the JVM.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. Carnologe

Carnologe New Member

First of all i‘m sorry for digging this thread out of it‘s digital grave, but i‘m asking myself the same questions. Loved the 40CR sound while testing it at my local dealer but fortunately my dealer did‘nt have it on stock so in the meantime i‘ve had some time to read about it (as always a big mistake). In the „It sucks to be right“ thread in this forum you can read everything you need to know for not buying the 40CR. This brought me to the JVMs, to the JVM 205C (2x12“ 50W). I don‘t have much questions about it but i wanted to know how they compare. I play a Jackson guitar with Seymour Duncans JB SH-4 and 59 SH-1 and i hope to get into the direction of an Adam Jones (Tool) kinda sound. Yes, i know about his fancy and mistery rig, but i don‘t want to get to a 100%. In the future i‘ll add a Diezel VH4-2 pedal for a closer Tool-sound. Do you think the JVM205C is a good companion for my purposes? Thanks in advance

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Yes !! The main reason so many have DSL40s ( both C and CR ) is a budget constraint IMHO …… I would love to have a JVM !!! YMMV !!

Carnologe and Sun King like this.