DSL40CR SPEAKER SWAP

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Lukas, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

So I don’t wanna start another long drawn out speaker opinion thread maybe just something short and sweet. First off I don’t think the stock V type in the 40CR is junk I actually like it but just wonder if I’d like this amp even more with a different speaker.... but maybe not. I have it narrowed down to a Celestion Vintage 30 or a Creamback G12M65 or G12H75. I do think the stock V type might be a combination of these kinda tho? These have been done on the 40C but I believe it’s voiced different. Some say the V30 is a bit to middy and some say the creamback is to scooped. The 40CR already has the tone shift which scoops things so I don’t really want any more scoop nor do I want ice picky trebles and mids. Then there’s the choice between the M or H creamback if I go that way as well. I play mostly hard rock and metal but love my cleans too. I want first world experiences not if you have these speakers in a Vox or orange amp please. I’ll probably just gamble on one eventually anyway but hearing someone that’s questioned the same thing and tried something would be great.

tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I would heartily recommend the 60W Celestion G12 Century Vintage, but...

They discontinued it. In favour of the Neo Creamback, at a guess.

If you can find a G12CV I would get it. As far as I can see, there are hardly any new 16 Ohm G12CVs left in Europe now.
    Not sure about North America.

A G12CV is half way between the V-Type and a V30. In the "Goldilocks" zone for my tastes.
    It is also very light!
    And I still run the DSL40CR with the V-Type in a 112 cab underneath.

I also play Hard Rock and Metal, with a good dose of Blues and some Ambient thrown in.

tce63 likes this.
  3. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Only one I found online was an 8ohm.

4. SkyMonkey

They're running out fast!
    Maybe not to everyone's taste, and like all speakers you have to actually install and try it out.
    But I am glad I picked one up.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

I've got the Creamback 75 in mine even though I thought the V-type was pretty good.

Sounds good to me.

tce63 likes this.
  6. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I have G12H-75's in a couple of speaker cabs. A 4x12 and a 2x12. I do not own the DSL40cr.
    I have heard the G12H-75 described as similar to the V-30 without the harsh treble spike.
    I think the G12H-75 and G12M-65 sound great. I think they sound even better together.
    They compliment each other well.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend a G12M-65 Creamback. I put one in my 1-12 cab that I use with my SC20h,....couldn’t be happier! :cool:

matttornado, tce63 and houseofrock like this.
  8. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Ok so those are the 2 I’m torn between buying. Which one do you think sounds better to your ears for heavy rock to metal on the 40CR and why. The V30 or the creamback? I’ll make my own decision but I just wanna hear a real world review. Like maybe you need to turn up the mids more with the creamback or turn them down on the V30 etc. I’m sure I’ll be happy with whichever I buy and install but would just like to know with my specific amp what others have tried before I get one pretty soon. I did notice the creamback is about $40 more. In Canada anyway. To be honest I’m leaning more toward the V30 now just because so many hard rock to metal players use them. There’s gotta be a reason for that. So unless someone can tell me why the creamback might be a more suitable choice and why I think the V30 might win.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I know youtube isn't a substitute for personal experience but I think this guy does decent demos. If you go through his videos there are several speaker comparisons.

10. SkyMonkey

If you think you may use EQ to shape the speaker tone, then maybe get a decent EQ pedal to put in the FX loop.
    That way you can shape the tone of the stock V-Type more to your liking.
    If that doesn't work, and you still change the speaker, you will at least still have a highly useful EQ pedal to trim the next speaker (or just your tone in general).

Also be mindful that changing to the V30 or G12H-75 will add 3.2 lb to the combo weight, if that is important to you.

Another thing to consider is that over time, all human brains become hardwired to what we find pleasing to the ear.
    That is why, on a gross scale, some like classical, some like reggae.
    The same happens down to the fine levels of amp tone too.
    The opinions of people are going to reflect that, even with real world experience.
    The only opinion that is reliable for you is your own.
    A new speaker will always be a gamble!

The V-Type is a good speaker though.
    I only changed mine out because I could!
    I had always intended to run my DSL with a boutique extension cab, and so had the option of choosing a new speaker for either the combo or the cab.
    Dropping the weight of the combo seemed to make the most sense.

Here is a comparison that covers a range of Celestion speakers.
    Unfortunately (and you are never going to get it) the amp and cab used are not the DSL40CR.
    I think this was the video that put me off trying a Creamback Neo.

KraftyBob, Bull Rock and tce63 like this.
  11. SkyMonkey

@JBA just posted this comparison of the Creamback Neo and G12M-65.
    Done with a DSL40C (getting closer!).

KraftyBob, solarburnDSL50 and tce63 like this.
  12. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Cool thanks... I watched lots of YouTube vids on comparisons. Some are evident and some to be honest you can’t tell the damn difference. It almost needs to be watched with a good set of headphones or through the TV with surround sound lol. I tossed up the idea of an eq, maybe just a BOSS 7 band. I had that pedal years ago on my JVM and didn’t really like it tho. I sold it and got the MXR 10 band, that eq kicks ass. Maybe I’ll remove it and try it on my DSL. As for weight that doesn’t really bother me. Like I said my other rig is a JVM full stack so the DSL is still way easier to move.

13. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

When I had my 40CR I tried the V30, the G12M Creamback and the Redback. My favorite was the Redback. I liked the V30 at first but the upper mids just became too much for my ears. The Creamback and Redback are both excellent speakers. In the end I went with the Redback for it’s firm low end and more balanced tone. It’s warm, but still has enough highs to avoid being dark or muddy. It’s not as dark sounding as the G12B in my JVM.

I have used the G12H Creamback in a couple of other amps too. To my ears the G12H Creamback is more “forward” or “present” sounding than its G12M counterpart, and of course has a firmer feeling low end. The G12M just feels more “laid back” to me. I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. You just have to pick one and see if you like it, and go from there.

14. Bull Rock

Bull Rock Well-Known Member

Can't believe you guys don't like the Vtype. I love it. Lol

SkyMonkey likes this.
  15. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

No body said they don’t like the V type... I actually think I said I do like it in the first post.

SkyMonkey and Bull Rock like this.
  16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I've ran mine through my Heritage GB loaded 412 and it was good.

I want to throw in a Jensen Tornado 100. See what that smoother top end does for it. I've got a Jensen Falcon 50 in another 112 combo and it's impossible to have a harsh upper band. Its not as bitey as the DSL circuit but in theory the Tornado might be a good match. Nice musical top end. Next payday.lol

17. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

SkyMonkey likes this.
  18. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

This is an excellent comparison, one you can actually hear.

19. SkyMonkey

I does look like the Fender was slaved (as a cabinet) to the Laney head judging by the signal chain in the YT description.
    A good comparison. Both open backed.
    Strangely, the V30 is the same efficiency as the Creamback 75, but it sounded the quieter of the 2, and less 'present' to my ears.
    V-Type and Creamback were almost neck and neck for me, but the Creamback wins (just).
    I don't think a full on V30 is the speaker for me and my needs.