Dsl40cr Recommendations

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Snowdogyyz, Mar 29, 2018.

1. wangchung

wangchung Member

Yes, compare them at least. Maybe Micky knows. I liked around 200pf for c19, and I think 68pf for c4. So we're stuck with speaker and tube changes/bias 'till someone in the know pipes in. But it sounded good out of the box, surprisingly. Bounce, bloom....just
    a little too much high end.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Merkin

Merkin New Member

I just received my DSL40CR yesterday and I must agree and admit that the amplifier sounds fizzy to me. Unfortunately I can't really crank the amplifier, though I don't need to keep it at a whisper either; I will give it some time and see if this improves.

Unfortunately, if it is something necessary, biasing the tubes is well beyond me. At least I think. I'm sort of new to all this being that I'm really a drummer though I have been playing an acoustic guitar for about 15 years and electric (with a small modelling amp) for almost a year now...but this loud amp stuff is new to me.

3. Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz Member

I’m a long time drummer and recent guitar player as well. I’ve never biased an amp before until this one. It’s REALLY easy! If you can read a multimeter, it’s reslly very simple. Take the back cover off and you’ll see three test probe holes (red-black-red). Put the black lead in the black hole and leave it. Put the red lead in one of the red holes and get reading and adjust with the red adjustment screw for that hole. Do the same for the red hole on the other side of the black hole. I adjusted mine to about 32.5 and it sounds better. I also changed the speaker to a V30. Sounds great to me now.

Mitchell Pearrow, ken361 and Antmax like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

former drummer too:)

Mitchell Pearrow and Snowdogyyz like this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

bias and break the bitch in!

6. Merkin

Merkin New Member

The two GCs near me didn't have this amp so I ordered it without trying it out. I was hoping for more growl to it but the distortion on this amp is smoother...and even fizzy to me right now. The crunch setting might be more where I want to live, but I need that as a clean channel for the music I play switching from clean to distortion a lot. The new footswitch will probably help me out here whenever that comes out. I have been playing one of those little Yamaha THR 10s or whatever they are called, and they are perfect as a practice amp especially plugging my iPod into it and playing to all those early Rush songs (drummer here...LOL.)

I will investigate this tube biasing thing more. I would think the factory would have all that set to where it needs to be, however. I also give hope this fizzy sound clears some in the next few weeks. But you know, though a big fizzy, OD1 kind of has a Moving Pictures sound to it IMO. I'm more an All The World's A Stage kind of sound guy (which might lie more on the crunch setting,) but if the fizzy clears, I'll be happy.

Snowdogyyz likes this.
  7. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Share your settings (take a picture if that helps)... bass/mid/treb, gain, presence, resonance etc... Also what guitar you playing through.

My 40CR is nowhere near being 'fizzy'. I run humbuckers.

If you are going to adjust bias, ideally you'll need to know your plate voltage which affects where it should be biased. Most assume a 450-460V plate voltage, but when I checked mine, it was lower... around 426V if I recall. So I biased accordingly.

Also - give the speaker a bit of time to break in before making any final judgement.

8. Merkin

Merkin New Member

I have two Gibson LP Studio guitars; a 2004 and 1996. Yes, for a drummer I have two guitars but my cousin gave me a deal I could not refuse. And I so wish I went with an electric guitar many years ago instead of the uninspiring acoustic I've owned.

Anyhow, as this is only my 2nd day with this amplifier, I thus really do not have any settings I've stuck with which I could relay to you. I'm all over-the-board from EQ set to max down to about noon. I have not gone below noon. But I did want to add my two-cents that I, too, consider that I am hearing a fizzy sounding overdrive/distortion.

I plugged into a friend's amp a while back and when he got the over-drive set, it growled and snarled at me and that sound was magic to my soul. [edit: he had some 5:30 amp...I think a Mesa?] This Marshall has a much smoother distortion (OD1 and OD2 at least) that sounds closer to my Yamaha THR-10.

Maybe I'll shoot a quick phone video in the coming days and see how that sounds and upload it if this site accepts uploads. Yes, I figure I need to give this thing a week, but unfortunately I cannot really crank the amp. I don't have it quiet by any means, it is loud to my ears, but my master volume is not really past 9 or 10 o'clock. I do tend to have the channel volume set high or full, though.

Will guitar shops bias an amp? Is it pricey? I appreciate everyone's interest and advice on this. Thanks!

9. Merkin

Merkin New Member

Oh, and today I noticed that my effects loop is noticeably quieter than the front-end. And, I noticed that when switching channels, I get a very slight delay, but it is noticeable.

10. Joeleoj

Joeleoj New Member

My fizz-free settings are:
    Channel volumes 1 and 2 o’clock
    Treble noon
    Mid. 9 o’clock
    Bass 2 o’clock
    Presence 1 o’clock
    Reso 3 o’clock
    Then I add an eq pedal to the loop and just goose the bass, treble, and volume a smidge. Add a reverb pedal just set to “on” and it sounds massive

11. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

You crazy mutherfucker!:D

12. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

This amp will go from super fizz to no treble at all - the eq is really sensitive. First get it biased at 32mv. I've tried lots of tubes and the stock items are by no means bad. Don't be afraid to use extreme settings like running presence on 0. I have a new favourite setting every other day - none of them are actually bad I just keep thinking what if I did that.....
    Of course one man's fizz is another man's bite - depending on what your ears are telling you this may not be the amp for you.

Snowdogyyz and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  13. Dave J

Dave J New Member

Sorry to drag this back from it's slumber but I just ran across this thread while searching for some ideas to make me like my DSL40CR better.
    This did it!! I was unhappy with the fizzy sound many complain about and was thinking maybe this amp wasn't for me. Yeah, this amp is for me!
    I was running the channel volumes around noon, with the gain on the ultra channel around 11. Kinda brittle and fizzy. I use the Classic channel just for clean as I don't care for the volume jump when going from Green to Red and had that Channel volume at noon with gain around 9. All tone and Presence and Resonance at noon. When I turned the Channel volumes all the way up, set the Ultra gain to around noon and adjusted the Master to a decent level that was about 90 db it was fantastic ! With the Channel volume at noon on Red Ultra setting the gain to 11 was pretty hairy and fizzy. I found that with the Channel Volume ALL the way up I could actually run the Gain at 12 to 1 and while it was for sure pretty gainy, it was not as gained out sounding as the previous setting. No fizz. On the Classic channel with the Ch. Vol all the way up and the gain adjusted for a totally clean sound, it just sounds great. Big bold clean. Even with the way I had it set before, the tone and Presence/Resonance controls had good effect on the sound, but I can't wait to play with them more. I had just about 10 minutes of play time with these new settings before heading off to work. Now it seems like there is so much in this amp to work with. Maybe slightly backing off ( from all the way up) on the Channel Volumes, and adding more or less gain along with some tweaks on the tone knobs. i don't know, just excited and almost feel like I just got a new amp !
    I also tried turning up the master volumes all the way and adjusting overall volume with the Channel volumes but the amp hummed when I did that so Channel Volumes it is.
    This is a bright amp, as Marshall amps are, but it doesn't have to be fizzy.
    Thanks again for this great advise !

14. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Glad you found your settings @Dave J .
    They will be specific to you though.
    One thing people regularly fail to take into account is the room they are in.
    Ambient acoustics can drastically affect how an amp sounds to the user.
    My room is an irregular shaped attic, carpeted, has bookshelves, and piles of clutter in one corner!
    I get no fizz with the Ultras set at Vol. = 10 O'clock, Gain = 2 O'clock.
    I run the Pres and Res at 0, with a flat EQ at noon, only treble is at 1 O'clock.

I do agree about running the masters at full though, hum and hiss just takes over.

15. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

There hasn't been a schematic available yet.
    But what amuses me is that people are modifying the amp without any clue...
    The amp as you know has a defective controller chip.
    If he wants to make the 40CR better, the chip needs to be replaced first.

16. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

The bright cap on the 40 CR is C 73 for channels 3 and 4. I put a 100 pf cap in and it helped tremendously. I run my treble at 2 o clock MUCH better tone. No need to dime the channel volume Also speaker upgrade to a Creamback and rolled tubes.

17. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

At least have a chip in standby...maybe he will get lucky and get a good one not a lemon like I had!

18. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

My latest thing is to set it a little bright then use the guitar tone control to tame it just a bit. Growls then...

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  19. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I think they might be modifying a broken amplifier....which is a bad way to start a mod.

20. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I really like the V-type speaker in mine, especially after it was broken in.