DSL40CR FX Loop Volume Drop

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Troy T. Blues, May 17, 2019.

1. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Active Member

Hi guys, I just noticed this for the first time last night. It's not drastic, but noticeable. I've had the amp for quite sometime, but now I am experimenting more with effects, fx loop, etc for my new project coming up. What have you all done to remedy the issue? And is this only happening with some of the DSL's or all? Thank you!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. Sabbathu

Sabbathu Active Member

I have the same amp.

It might have to do with the amount of pedals you are chaining together or the type of pedals they are. Maybe even the order in which you chain them.

Mine dipped noticeably when I randomly ran 4 pedals through the loop but when I removed the reverb, the dip wasn’t as noticeable.

3. Troy T. Blues

Thanks. I was only running a Boss DD-3 through the loop with short cables, resting the pedal on top of the amp. That's it.

4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I have an MIJ DD-3 …… it does not like EFX Loops … willing to bet you’re experiencing the same thing!!

5. Troy T. Blues

Hmmmm...ok, thanks. Luckily, I have another delay (Dunlop Echoplex) - I will try that. Hopefully it's better!

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

The same thing happens with the JCM800 Studio Classic amps, at least the heads. We talked about it at length in the Official Studio Classic thread.

It’s not a drastic drop in volume but it’s noticeable. At least one member contacted Marshall about it, Marshalls response was/is that it’s normal. It’s not a mistake or defect.

Most folks are ok with it, at least one was not ,...and he returned the amp because of it. I own the amp and I prefer it. I’m a at home player so the slight drop in volume is helpful, it’s like a slight attenuation.

This is the first time I heard about this occurring in a Dsl.

7. Troy T. Blues

Interesting. I was hoping that using a different delay would solve the problem. It's not a huge deal, but personally, I'd rather have it boost than drop off if there was a trade off. Still gonna give the other delay a try. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

This happens with both my DSL40CR & DSL20CR. Careful level matcing can minimize it, but any "pedal/stomp/foot/thingie" that is considered a -10db or -20db device will exhibit it the most. I run a rack mount, Lexicon, MX300 and find that if I use it on the -10db setting, it needs to get driven fairly hard, but with it set at +4db (not sure if the setting includes both input and output) it works much better!

While the MX300 has a few bugaboos, it provides the longest tap tempo delay, at nearly 5 seconds (I'm an echo junkie!), although the chorus program does tend to drop the level a bit. It works best as just delay/echo and if I ever end up with an amp with no reverb (SC, SV, Mini SJ), it will like do that fairly well, along with delay.

Again, its all about proper level matching! Any chorus or boost lives most happily out in front of the amp!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Troy T. Blues likes this.
  9. Troy T. Blues

When I got home from work I tried my Dunlop Echoplex Delay pedal through the loop. Much much better! Hardly any change in volume. I had to listen really hard to hear any difference. It’s so slight that it’s not even an issue to me now. I tried my MIJ DD-3 once again to compare and it was way more noticeable. This is great! Thanks @Jon C

Sabbathu likes this.
  10. DSMer

DSMer Active Member

Try to use pedals that are true bypass.