Dsl40cr Footswitch Mods

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by musicman, Aug 7, 2018.

1. musicman

musicman Active Member

I have a DSL40CR with both the supplied 2 button footswitch and the PEDL91016 6 button footswitch.
    I would like to modify the 2 button footswitch so that switch 2 toggles the master volumes rather than the effects loop.
    I have asked Marshall if they would do this but got a very unhelpful "we don't modify any of our equipment" answer.
    Surely it can't be too difficult... I can post pictures of the inside of the switches etc if anyone with electrical knowledge would take a look please.
    Thanks...

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Are you asking for it to just switch volumes and not the channels?

3. musicman

musicman Active Member

Hi,
    Switch 1 to switch channels as it does at the moment
    Switch 2 to switch master volumes rather than toggle the effects loop on/off
    Thanks

4. anitoli

This is from the manual:

18. MASTER SELECT
    This switches between MASTER 1 and MASTER 2.
    Note: You can switch between MASTER 1 and MASTER 2 using the optional 6-way PEDL-91005 footswitch.

5. musicman

musicman Active Member

Thanks but I'm afraid that doesn't help me... I don't know anything about midi...

6. anitoli

That is the part number issued by Marshall that will do what you want. There is no need to do anything else but get this JVM footswitch PEDL-91005.

7. musicman

musicman Active Member

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I already have the correct 6 button footswitch (PEDL91016) and am looking to replace this with a smaller 2 button footswitch. My understanding is that PEDL91005 doesn't work with the DSL range anyway.
    For information I've had a look inside the PEDL91016 and it's built on some sort of pcb that appears to run the full length of the metal casing so there doesn't appear to be anyway to remove the parts from that and replace them in a smaller housing.

8. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I think you would have to do some serious modding on the switch section on the circuit board inside the amp. The supplied two button switch is just two switches inside. It has no clue what it's turning on and off.

9. Sun King

Sun King New Member

I have the 91016, haven't had much time with it other than to verify that it actually works (bought used). But I'm pretty sure button #5 switches master volumes. I don't think the 6-button switch is MIDI, in fact in its role for the DSL40CR it seems pretty basic, and hardly worth the roughly third to one quarter of the price of the amp itself. :O

However, the manual that came with it, only talks about setting it up for a JVM, where it apparently has way more functionality- the manual does not mention the DSL40CR at all!

Anitoli, it's funny that your reference to the amplifier's manual mentions the 91005 switch. I thought it was confirmed earlier that the 91005 does NOT work with the DSL40CR? Anyway, for the OP, does your 91016 not already switch master volumes? Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. anitoli

It's possible. I just pulled up a manual for the amp from Marshall and that is what was in there. It's not like Marshall has never had typos before. :)

Sun King likes this.
  11. musicman

musicman Active Member

Thanks fellas... yes button 5 of PEDL91016 switches master volumes... I play keys as well as guitar and with a hold pedal and volume pedal, pedalboard and PEDL91016 it's quite crowded on the floor... I just hoped I could lose 4 buttons that I don't use but it seems not without a lot of mods... interesting to note that the supplied 2 button footswitch uses a TRS plug whereas the PEDL91016 is a mono plug so they must be operating differently

matttornado and Sun King like this.
  12. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

My guess is that they use a resistive multiplex scheme to switch different functions.

You could measure the resistance of the function you wish to use, and then duplicate it in another switch. Probably will take a momentary switch as well... But as I don't have a new CR version and footswitch, it is all speculation on my part.

scott-colorado2016 likes this.
  13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

It was a key innovation on the JVM's, to be able to switch multiple functions with the pedal, using only a standard instrument cable. It was a big step up from the previous TSL's, with their delicate 20th century multicore cables.

14. Micky

Does anyone have a link to a JVM footswitch schematic?

15. musicman

musicman Active Member

So how would I measure the resistance please.... just measure the resistance (& voltage) between live and ground on the cable for each of the channels, each master volume & effects loop on & off ?

16. Micky

Yes. Resistance for each function, there should be no voltage unless the footswitch takes a battery...

17. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Do we know for sure that resistance variation is how JVM footswitches work? Are there any lights on the 6-button pedal? or any internal battery? or any active electronics on it? If thats 3xNo, then I could believe it.

18. musicman

musicman Active Member

The PEDL91016 has a led on each switch.
    I tried to measure resistance & voltage on the lead plugged into the footswitch socket but the readings were very similar no matter what channel/master/fx loop was set.

19. Micky

Can you open it up and post hi-res photos of the circuitry?

20. musicman

musicman Active Member

Hi, no, sorry, not really as the circuit board runs the full length of the pedal and I'm not sure how to remove it without damaging something... thank you but not to worry as I've given up on the idea anyway