DSL40CR and 4cm

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by spats71, Dec 7, 2019.

1. spats71

spats71 New Member

Hi all
    I have recently got a DSL40cr and was hoping to run it 4cm with my boss gt10. I was also hoping to use the amp ctrl operation on the gt10 to control the channels. Has anyone achieved this? Also is there a way to change between the different modes as well as the channels using this? When I plug into the fs input from the gt10 it doesn't allow me to engage the fx loop on the front of the amp so the fx I the loop don't operate. I would rather not have to try and learn midi programming as I'm not that technical!!! All in all I need some help!
    I have searched through the forum but can't seem to find anything. Any help gratefully received.

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I'm not personally experienced, but have seen the types of operations you desire mentioned along the way. Hopefully, those who've accomplished this will speak up and help you out. And yeah, the search engine here can be nearly useless, at best!

Best To Ya!
    Gene

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Hi @spats71
    I can help ……
    Is there anything else in the Audio Path besides the GT-10 ?

4. spats71

spats71 New Member

Thanks for replying. Nothing else in the signal chain.
    Just seems strange that after setting up 4cm the fox loop is off on the amp. And pressing the fix switch on the amp doesn't work.

5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Is This the way you are wired @spats71 ?
    Your audio signal Chain should be .. Guitar>GT10 Input>GT10 EFX Send>40CR Main Input>40CR EFX Send>GT10 EFX Return>GT10 Output ‘Left’>40CR EFX Return

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

There is a possible issue with this amp.
    It's a bad microprocessor chip that has a firmware problem.
    However from what I hear you can buy the chip now and install it into the socket.
    This from what I am being told is the fix for the issues.
    I mentioned this because several others reported similar problems with DSL40CR.
    Until now they had been going to the service centers to get the chip replaced....apparently now you can just do it yourself.

Sun King and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Great intell there Ampmad.

8. spats71

spats71 New Member

Yep, thanks Ampmad. How can I identify the microprocessor chip that I need to replace and where can I source it from? Is it direct from marshall?

9. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

That's interesting. It's hard to imagine Marshall telling people to poking around inside their amps though. Yeah I know people do but....

10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Regarding the problems you are experiencing with the FX loop, I assume you are still using the supplied 2-Button F/s.
    Does the front panel switching problem still occur when the F/s is unplugged?
    As you can see by my signature (below my post) I have a very similar setup to yours, and have a slight niggle with the FX loop switching too.
    When I use the DSL I have the FX loop on (for 4CM. 5CM is just stereo 4CM). Each time I switch off the DSL and come to use it another time the FX loop seems to always return to OFF. One cycle of OFF/ON fixes it for the duration of the session, until next time. I do not have anything plugged into the F/s jack on the DSL. Could you be having a similar glitch.

GT-10 4CM:

Capture.PNG

BUT!!!! I would highly recommend hooking up the DSL40CR and GT-10 via MIDI.
    There really is almost nothing to have to learn.
    Just make sure no Footswitch is connected to the DSL.

The only settings for the GT-10 are MIDI ON, Program Change messages ON (GT-10 manual p.82), and set to OMNI (p.79).
    Once the GT-10 is set to send MIDI on all channels (i.e. OMNI) then each of the 4 numbered patch footswitches sends a Program Change (PC) message to the DSL to select channel modes.
    By default:
    No.1 F/s will select Classic Clean
    No.2 F/s will select Classic Crunch
    No.3 F/s will select Ultra OD1
    No.4 F/s will select Ultra OD2

This will be true for any bank of patches you select (User or Factory). F/s 1 will always select Classic Clean etc.

Next you will need to wipe the first 4 User patches on the GT-10. Set the S/R (Send/Return) in the signal chain to ON and move it to just before the GT-10 Channel A/B splitter (p.38). This is necessary for 4CM, but (I think) is normally set to OFF by default for Factory presets.
    Turn off the GT-10 A/B preamps so that the DSL is the preamp. Tweak the effects to your satisfaction for each DSL mode!

As Factory patches have S/R off by default, when a Factory preset, or a preset with S/R off is selected, the GT-10 internal preamps are utilised, bypassing the DSL preamp. So Factory presets sound the same (almost, the DSL tone controls are bypassed too) as if you just run the GT-10 in the front of a clean channel. The whole signal chain just goes to the DSL FX return.
    Repeat the above for User Bank 2, etc.
    To get a different patch for the same DSL mode you will have to BANK switch to a patch controlled by the same No. F/s.
    e.g. selecting a patch with No.3 gets you DSL OD1. Switch up one bank and the patch will still be controlled by No.3, and therefore still be OD1. You can set BANK changes to be immediate, or waiting for a PATCH pedal input (p.72).

BTW I used to have a GT-10 and never realised that you can set up to 8 parameter Assigns to each patch (p.126).
    So for example: CTL 1 you can have an OD switch on, Phaser switch on, OD level increase by +10, change to preamp B, engage 10 Band EQ, etc. etc. All by pressing 1 CTL F/s.
    If you already knew this then you are a better man than me! Doh!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  11. spats71

spats71 New Member

Skymonkey - that is awesome!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I hope to try it out on Friday and gig with it Saturday!

If it can work alongside the 4cm I will be a very happy fella!!!

12. SkyMonkey

I think you have to use the search engine Google style.
    If you search for something like BOSS OD-20 you will get hundreds of hits with the word BOSS, and only 5 of them refer to the OD-20.
    If you search using quotation marks "BOSS OD-20" you just get the 5 hits that are specifically about the OD-20.

13. spats71

spats71 New Member

Hi Skymonkey

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I am now using the boss gt10 as a midi channel switcher as well as utilising the boss fx in the 4cm.

It is fab!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to show me how, I really appreciate it!

14. SkyMonkey

No problem @spats71. We are here to help each other.

BTW have you tried out the GT-10 Floorboard app for PC and Mac.
    It is free settings controller software, similar to the modern BOSS Tone Studio.
    Connect the GT-10 to your computer by USB and you can tweak everything from the PC.

https://fxfloorboard.sourceforge.io/info.php?model=gt-10

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  15. Sun King

Sun King New Member

Bingo! Yea good post AmpMad, I had the switching issue and took mine in last year to the service center, under warranty. They did the firmware upgrade / "replaced the DSP board" (?). Works fine now.

PS, after that, I was having problems with the (very expensive!) six-button Marshall footswitch. I heard this from someone else, but for the six-button switch, you must use a TRS-type cable. Problem solved! The amp has SO much more functionality with this switch.

Sorry to kinda hijack the Midi discussion. So far that seems to be the two big issues with the DSL-40CR. Mine's great, I love it! :dude:

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

We appreciate any info that will help CR owners solve issues, thanks!

Sun King likes this.