DSL40c Ultra Gain to Classic Gain

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Hudge, Dec 27, 2015.

1. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will work on the 40C, but on my DSL15C, I replaced the phase inverter tube with an ECC823 tube, and that made the ultra gain channel functional.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Check the bias? Set to 60% Creamback speaker works great

3. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Well sorry to be the cold slap of reality in the face but the truth is no amount of mods or speaker swap is going to give you what you want.

Your best bet is to use a overdrive or treble booster pedal into the amp IMHO, or get a different amp.

The ultra channel is what it is. The sooner you accept that, the better you'll get on with the DSL.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I like ultra 2 with gain 2.5 volume 4 treb 4.5 mids 6 bass 4 renosence 5 presence 5 tone shift out and I keep the reverb at 3 ymmv:agreed: and yes your guitar volume and tone pots play a big role

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

And read the big dsl40c information thread. Your answer’s are in there:2c:

6. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

If you're running the stock speaker, try a speaker change. The Ultra Lead channel is very responsive to speaker changes. One of the many Greenback variants would probably help you get to the sound you're looking for (especially if you keep the gain around 4-5). Speaker swaps are really easy with this amp, so it's worth trying that before doing circuit mods.

7. coyote

coyote Active Member

Thanx 4 the replies folks.
    My amp has a Creamback, but that’s not the issue.

My fave amp setting is Classic gain, clean mode, gain at around 4. Sounds terrific; nice full response across the board. Exactly how a Marshall should normally sound!
    But it can’t bridge the gap to either Lead1 or Lead2. Too much off the rest of the signal is lost.

So my compromise has been to run Classic, Crunch - and then footswitch to Lead1. For that to work, the bass has to be turned up a bit... and it gets a tad mushy.

I listened to a couple of the vids comparing the C19 mod to stock. Not bad, but not sure it does what I want. I might try an EQ in the effects loop. Or I might try leaving the amp on Clean all the time, and put a treble booster in the effects loop to kick it when I want it.

8. coyote

coyote Active Member

EDIT: this post is no longer relevant, except as history. My settings are no longer like this.

I found a sweet spot. Here are the settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Classic channel is in Crunch mode, and the Ultra channel is on Lead 1. Tone Shift is off, of course.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  9. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Put the gain lower...play with higher volume. Adjust guitar volume too.

L2 gain low...stock and changing pups only. No channel changing.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Hell yes bro, Solar knows what he is doing! The settings I posted, came from a tone wise pro :cheers:

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  11. coyote

coyote Active Member

Update: funny how playing with the band, rather than on you own, changes your perspective.

Amp is unplugged and discharging its capacitors.
    C19 will be taken out of the circuit this weekend.

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

your gain is set way low! thinner tone! 5 to 7 is the sweet spot for most and check bias!~

13. coyote

coyote Active Member

The amp was re-tubed and biased just a year ago. And I find that, at playable levels, increased gain on the Ultra channel just makes it ever more brittle. I have to turn down the Volume to compensate, and it doesn’t work.

I was somewhat surprised by all this, as the ‘formula’ generally says to decrease bass frequency on guitars to keep them out of the way of other instruments. It’s just overdone on the Ultra channel on this amp.

The happy result will be that I get the ‘clean’ sound plus a useful equivalent of the ‘crunch’ at the tap of a footswitch.

14. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

I found Ultra 2 unusable with my hss Strat, but with my high output pup equipped Lester it sounds killer, no pedal required. I can get a convincing Cantrell, Adam Jones type tone. For Adam Jones; just a touch of chorus, and a lot of cocked wah.

15. oldmanrockin

oldmanrockin Member

I use the crunch channel with an OCD in front going through a G12H-30 on half power mode for rhythm and fill leads. For full leads i use the od1 with c-19 clipped and leave the ocd on, just change channels. I can get the boost i want for leads through the od1 and it sounds like a hotter crunch channel. I mostly play classic rock 70's - 80's.

Mitchell Pearrow and Yamariv like this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

what was the bias at ?? only need like 32 most set it way too high if its brittle and and not very clear at 4 on the volume its probably too hot.

17. coyote

coyote Active Member

I don’t know, I did not bias it myself.

18. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

you're doing good. Asking good questions.

learn to bias yourself and experiment. It will pay off. If I can do it you can. No BS!

19. coyote

coyote Active Member

Final installment in the saga: C19 removed, owner much happier. :eddie:

I can now dial down the bass on the amp while retaining the fullness, AND get the top end boost if I want it. And the amp noise has dropped considerably.

I would consider adding a switch to put C19 back inline on demand as a useful and valid modification. A micro SPST directly above the Channel Select pushbutton would work, so that should the need ever arise you can simply throw the switch and have the ‘stock’ configuration. Perhaps even an on-off-on DPDT, with the 470 cap on one side and a different value (perhaps 100, some have reported good results with this) on the other....

EDIT: I will be adding LEDs to the Marshall channel/reverb selector footswitch. There’s a YouTube vid on how to do it:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  20. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

Couldn’t this be accomplished with a clean boost? Not buying a 2 channel amp with 4 modes, and only wanting a variation of one tone.