Dsl40c Speaker Swap - Affordable Solutions?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Clifdawg, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Member

Hey everyone, I know that swapping the speaker in the DSL40C is a topic that's been discussed to death (trust me, I've read a bunch of old posts and watched videos on the subject). I know the Creamback or Vintage 30 seem to be the most commonly-swapped speakers, but they're both a bit on the pricey side. I'd like to keep the upgrade budget at a hundred or below, so I've been looking at some options, in order of how I'm leaning:

1. Eminence Private Jack - Eminence's take on a higher wattage greenback, hearing great things about it, downright cheap at a mere 80 bucks street.
    2. Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET65 - WGS's take on the Creamback, but I hear they're not really similar.
    3. Eminence The Governor - Eminence's take on the V-30, but a little cheaper.
    4. Celestion V-type - the upgraded speaker in the CR.

What I'm looking for is a little bit of roll-off to the treble frequencies and a little more "oomph" in the mids. I want to still want enough brightness and clarity that I can do hard rock or metal, but I want a smoother top-end for cleans and semi-cleans. I prefer a more vintage sound to a modern sound. I suspect any of these options would be a decent choice; can anyone with experience give me an opinion or even some other suggestions? Thanks, everyone. :thumb:

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

From your choices I would go with the Private Jack.
    Currently I have a Man-O-War in mine, having tried several others.

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Private Jack if you're looking for a GB sound (or check ebay for a clean used Marshall-labeled Celestion Heritage - can be had for a good price and does what you describe above).

Clifdawg likes this.
  4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

Eminence GB128, nicely balanced speaker, the price is ridiculously low, only 50W. ..

5. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

wait... buy 2! still cheap and built urs3lf an ext3ntion cabinent!

Clifdawg and Micky like this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Member

I like the way you think.

Edit: Didn't even know about the GB128, but it seems Chicago Music Exchange currently has it for 60 bucks with 15% off of that through today. I might jump for it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. RLW59

RLW59 Active Member

Eminence V1216 would also be a good choice. I had a Private Jack and liked it a lot, but I loved the V1216 I had. I bought the V1216 because I needed a cheap replacement speaker and didn't expect much, but was amazed at how great it sounded.

Their whole Legend series is really good. Oddly overlooked and ignored. Everyone focuses on their newer Red Coat and Patriot series, but there's a reason the Legends have been in production for decades.

Clifdawg likes this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

1. Eminence Private Jack - No
    2. Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET65 - No
    3. Eminence The Governor - No
    4. Celestion V-type - No

Fluxtone Model 11

fluxtone 11.png

EVM 12L

12L.png

JBL D120F

D120F.png

PS
    40 watt amplifier = speaker should be rated at least 80 watts.

The wattage rating of a speaker is CLEAN signal only.

Distortion makes a speaker 2-3X hotter than a clean signal. That is why speaker used for distortion must be rated double or more.

9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Member

Appreciate the suggestions, but those are way, way outside my price range.

Especially the 1,425-dollar Fluxtone... I'll keep my comments about anyone willing to spend that on a single speaker to myself.:rolleyes:

Edit: good to know about the wattage ratings. That's helpful. That said, I typically play totally clean when I'm live, and I never crest 50% on the master volume even then given the size of the venue. I usually keep it around 20-25% when using distortion. I would think 50 would be sufficient for my usage, but I certainly don't think I should go less than that.

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

the 1,425-dollar Fluxtone ( probably the best choice anywhere right now)

50 would be sufficient for my usage (you're going to melt that poor little puppy)

Tis better to buy one great sounding professional speaker...
    than to buy 10 cheap flimsy speakers.

11. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I have a vintage G12-65 that I would ship for $100 to CONUS, pm me if interested.

tschrama and Clifdawg like this.
  12. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Member

I had not heard of these, but I'm really leaning towards the V1216 now. Most opinions I could find on it say it's V30-ish with a flatter mid-range and a subtle treble roll-off, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Not to mention it's made in USA, comes in a 16 ohm impedence, and has a 120-watt power handling and a 100+ dB sensitivity rating. I'm thinking about saving the stock 70/80 and building out an extension cab because I'd bet that these two would sound fantastic together in a live situation.

Is that because wattage rating is determined by a 5% distortion threshold? It's been suggested before that the reasons that "tube amp wattage is louder than SS amp wattage" is because the amp can actually output more wattage than its rating when the power section becomes saturated, and because average amplitude of the signal can continue increasing even if the peak amplitude remains the same. If so, I see what you mean, although I know plenty of players using 50w speakers in 40w amps without issue.

I understand not cheaping out, as I've done in the past with wildly varying degrees of success, but I'd like to know why you consider Eminence, WGS, and Celestion speakers as "cheap" and "flimsy" when they're used in professional applications regularly. I have friends that have used them for gigging frequently and are more than satisfied with them. Have you had a poor experience with these?

Plus, I'm not going to put in a speaker that costs more than my entire rig into a mass-produced Vietnamese amplifier. The EV is closer to being realistic, but still far exceeds my budget (not to mention it [reportedly] doesn't quite have the tonal character I'm looking for). ;)

I do appreciate the offer, and am certainly still considering it, but I'm really leaning towards the Legend V1216 based on everything I'm reading about it. Thank you kindly though!:thumb:

13. Delete!!

Delete!! Member

I used an Eminence Governor for several years in my Deluxe Reverb amp and thought it was a very nice speaker, affordable too. I also really like the V-type in my DSL40CR. I originally planned to replace it with a Creamback but after hearing it in person I quickly changed my mind. At $99 it's hard to beat.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018