DSL40C for Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Daniel Fisman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

The JVM is very nervous?

2. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

Please disregard those suggested settings in my older posts. I used them to tame the fizz by pushing the mids and attenuating the highs (not the best way to address the problem), before I realized that in order to get rid of the fizz and thicken the midrange, the best way was to put volume on 8, as that appears to be the point at which my DSL15C's power amp section kicks in.

Adrian's rhythm settings I provided above are very good for their more modern stuff and sound pretty much like the tone on Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death. It's a tone with a very hard midrange, just like on those records. I personally prefer Piece of Mind and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as my ideal classic metal tones. In order to get something closer to Piece of Mind, Adrian's JVM settings are a good starting point. The only thing I would tweak from there is, increase Presence and possibly Treble, as well. So, it'd be something like this.
    Bass 4
    Middle 5
    Treble 7
    Resonance 4
    Presence 5
    Gain 5

If you're having trouble viewing the attached pic of Adrian's JVM settings, you can also find it posted by @JCMDOUG here on this thread:
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/nad-2009-jvm205h-1960a-cab.99631/
    Based on the EQ settings in the photo, I am guessing that Adrian uses the Crunch channel for rhythm, and OD1 and OD2 for lead.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  3. Daniel Fisman

Daniel Fisman New Member

It's what I've been hearing for those who tried
    do you disagree ?

4. Daniel Fisman

Daniel Fisman New Member

Thanks! now I could see

I would like to share with you a new review from Silas Fernandes a Brazilian musician who lives abroad. He's is very good and probably you'll have English subtitles . On this video he told us the Iron album's that was recorded with out a Tube Amp!

Very interesting.Its is new for me. Find the video:

5. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

I just dont know what the hell you mean by nervous?..... how could an amp be nervous?

Daniel Fisman likes this.
  6. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

This is true. Maiden recorded Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son using, in part, the Gallien-Kruegers. More specifically, it was the 250ML (Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) and the 2100SEL (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son World Tour). However, I would treat this knowledge with a healthy dose of critical examination.

First, although it is likely that they used those amps on the mentioned albums, we don't know whether they are responsible for 100% of the sounds on the albums, especially when Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is concerned.

And second, I think the importance of those amps is overstated. You can get the same sound from any decent tube Marshall with some reverb, chorus, delay, and a phase shifter. I use the Boss CE-2 and MXR Carbon Copy with my Marshalls and get those sounds with ease.
    And if you're a stickler for detail, and want to go the solid state route, you could also try something like the first Valvestate line. Those amps were really great, and the 8200 Bi-Chorus model that had chorus already built in.
    Or, if you really want to replicate everything accurately, just buy the 2100SEL (much better than the 250ML feature-wise). In fact, I have always believed that the 2100SEL is the ideal guitar amp and have wondered why more amps are not designed like the 2100SEL. The 2100SEL has a 4-band EQ section, built-in compression, adjustable delay, and adjustable chorus. I think all amps should have those features standard.
    But, again, I do not think it is necessary to chase 40 year-old gear to sound like that. A few simple effect pedals will do the trick just fine. These days, Adrian is using a lot of Boss pedals (digital delays, for example) and whatever other gear is obtainable at the time. None of this stuff is magical. Just use the chorus that sounds best to you, or the delay that sounds best to you, etc.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  7. Daniel Fisman

Daniel Fisman New Member

I'm sorry for the expression ... I would say that JVM have more gain and distortion than DSL.. :)

8. Daniel Fisman

Daniel Fisman New Member

That's true.I don't have any intention to get those amps just to replicate everything. Its easy to get this tone with the correct modulations pedals. I just shared here because it was totally new for me ! i would never say that they recorded on a solid state !

9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I think what you mean is excitement...

It does have more of a charged upper harmonics, that do sound excited...

10. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

Yeah they do... endless gain really