DSL20HR crackling after tubes are hot

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Hagmod, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Hagmod

Hagmod New Member

Hi everyone - first time using a forum of any kind. Hope this works. I recently purchased a DSL 20HR. It's a great amp, as so many reviews have said. The problem that I am having is, once the amp warms up, after 15 minutes or so of playing, it starts to crackle. This is particularly noticeable on the clean channel. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

If the amp is under warrantee take it back now.

If the amp is not under warrantee take out the first preamp tube closest to the input jack.
    Did the noise stop?
    Plug a guitar cable from effects send to effects return.
    Did the noise stop?

3. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

Dont you think your jumping the gun a bit, you certainly know more than i do. It just seems pretty obvious its a tube issue and messing with the tubes wont void the warranty so why not check that first? Youve helped me several times and i trust your opinion i just honestly am currious if this sounds to you like an issue im not seeing warranting returning the amp?

4. ampmadscientist

Up to you but there has been some issues with glue that was used on the circuit board causing cracKles and pop noises.
    Take the first preamp tube out and see if the noise stops....maybe it is just a tube.

5. Michael Inglis

Michael Inglis Active Member

Man its crazy you said that, i just had my DSL100HR in the shop having the FX loop bug fixed (which it is now) but my tech said he saw some glue on the switching board he thought could be shorting out an IC). I honestly thought he was full of shit cause he hadnt listened to what i told them about how to get the amp fixed through Marshall. But i was adimant so he called marshall and sure enough they confirmed what i was telling him. Maybe the glue thing wasnt bs after all. With that said i also had crackling at first kinda like "ting" noises but i changed the JJel34's the amp came with and not only did that problem go away but the amp has zero background fizz. Ive heard lots of guys complain that DSL's hiss a lot but i know in my case that completely went away with some decent tubes. I use electro harmonix el34's and have found them to be much more consistent than JJ's and they make the amp much more usable. With the JJ's the low end is too full at higher gain settings but with the EHX EL34's the whole freq. spectrum is balanced and never "bottoms out". I would recommend to the OP if you have the money to try some. I get mine from VIVA Tubes and they have a warranty period on all new production tubes. Their owner is also really helpful. Ive had to have a tube replaced and he was incredibly accommodating and got a new matched tube sent to me quickly. If a new pair of tubes and an a rebias doesnt solve the issue then i would also recommend returning it for another. Tubes are going to go bad, some quicker than other and its a lot easier to just replace the tubes then to have to return the amp for a new one with the same stock tubes that in my experience arent great in that amp. I should mention the cheap preamp tubes in v2-v4 and the v1 jj were actually not bad at all. I rolled them with every damn tube on the market and for the most part i preferred those cheap stock preamp tubes. Ive got a mullard CV4004 in V2 now but not cause it needed to be there as much as because i just really wanted to use it lol.

6. ampmadscientist

"...my tech said he saw some glue on the switching board he thought could be shorting out an IC). I honestly thought he was full of shit.."

It's for real.
    The glue is shorting out the circuits.
    It's like there is a voodoo curse on DSL amplifiers...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is pull off back panel and see if the power tubes are JJ's. If so, replace with a different set and see if you still have that crackling noise.
    I use to use JJ's for quite a while. In the last few years it appears that they have been having some quality control issues.
    I think Marshall has gotten a bunch of bad JJ EL34's in recent years.

8. ampmadscientist

I sort of think crackles can happen with any preamp tube not just JJ.
    But removing the first tube to see if the noise stops is a reasonable test...
    The whole thing is: if it's under warrantee, he shouldn't need to do any of this himself?

john hammond and anitoli like this.
  9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I said: "Power tubes".

ken361 likes this.
  10. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yes, you did, but it’s more likely to be V1 that’s causing the problems than a power tube.

11. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

$500 or so in the amp world is considered reasonable but if it was a toaster most would already have it boxed back up. They make plenty of them. Just send it back and get another one.

john hammond likes this.
  12. Hagmod

Hagmod New Member

Thank you for the comments everyone. Just a point of clarification; the amp is relatively silent when I'm not playing but once the strings are strum, the crackling occurs. It's a new-ish amp (had it maybe 2 months now) so I'll bring it back to the store. If they don't accept the return, I now have instruction on how to remedy the problem.

13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

If it is under warranty let them fix it. You paid for it when you buy new gear.

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum new MF’r,
    I am going with a tube first tech second!
    Cheers Mitch

ken361 likes this.
  15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

power tubes crackled on my old dsl I replaced them all was good! pull them out and shake one gently you might hear some noises

16. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

can you imagine how pissed off marshall or any other manufacturer must get when these things pop up like glue that becomes conductive, or airbags that go off or whatever.
    if I was the one asking for advice it would have taken me four seconds to try and workout how to remove the preamp tube, but that's just me.
    I can understand the reluctance though, pull out a tube and you gotta put it back in, and those those pins can bend and you gotta put it in right.
    I'm inclined to advise you to take it back to marshall for a refund. if they never updated their manufacturing techniques after the defect was identified, then as the glue goes ' off' on any replacement it too will fail. if they all have the fault then they'll all drop like flies over time.
    Call me old fashioned but the only glue in an amp should be stuff that holds the tolex on.

17. ampmadscientist

They are pissed enough to keep it secret...

john hammond likes this.
  18. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

the plot thickens...if it was me and i learned that the fault was being kept secret ( until the warranty period runs out..get it?) I wouldn't waste my time with diagnosis, the thing would be in the car and off to the store for refund.