DSL20CR MOD to allow insert of FX to ONLY the Classic Gain Channel

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Elliot Twist, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Member

Is a mod feasible that would allow me to have an insert (like an effects loop) somewhere proper on the input of ONLY the Classic Gain Channel.
    So that I can run some effects, at least a tube Overdrive, on the Classic Gain Channel.
    When I switch channels I DO NOT want that chain to be present on the Ultra Gain Channel.

Michael Roe likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It is possible but the first thing you would need is a schematic.
    The problem of interfacing with the microprocessor is a technical one, but not impossible.
    You see, the amp is controlled by a programmable chip.

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Just get one of these.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS3Switcher--boss-ms-3-multi-effects-switcher
    A bunch of cool and useful FX with 3 programable loops plus can switch channels on your amp.

4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

5. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

That has not been my experience with it.

Jon C likes this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Fair Enough …… At least it’s not a modeler !!!

7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Something like a BOSS GT-10 or onwards could be used to do this, but you would have to give up FX loop switching with the 2-button F/s (do you even use it?).

The GT-10 can control basic channel switching, classic to Ultra gain. A T/S (instrument) cable connects to the GT-10 and the F/S jack of the amp. There are Assign settings (up to 8) that be assigned to the CTL button on the GT-10 that allow one button press to change multiple parameters. You could set up a patch to simultaneously switch amp channel and turn off an OD module simultaneously.

You could do this in a basic front-in setup or in 4CM. With 4CM you can then run time based effects in the loop.

The manual has details on this between pages 126 and 132.
    I have attached the manual download address from the BOSS website.
    https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by...manuals/acc0279c-e493-4e1e-9635-3018b93bcf06/

8. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Member

@ampmadscientist thank you. Darn that sounds complicated. I wish it wasn't.
    @SkyMonkey I never switch out the FX loop using the Marshall foot switch. The Loop is always engaged.
    That GT-10 sounds interesting, but not what I'm wishing to do here.
    I use appropriate effects on the DSL20CR Effects Loop using a Line 6 POD HD500 or a DigiTech RP360XP
    @Micheal Roe That BOSS MS-3 is interesting, but not what I'm wishing to do here.
    I'd like an insert jack placed into the Classic Gain Channel so I can run an Overdrive pedal on that channel only.
    That's really what I'm wishing for.
    Maybe I should retract the idea of an insert (loop) on the preamp stage of the DSL20CR Classic Gain Channel, and start asking for a way to get enough gain on the DSL20CR Classic Gain Channel that would rival the "crunch" mode on the Classic Gain Channel of the DSL100HR.
    I use a DSL100HR live in the band I'm in, and at home I use a DSL100H.
    I never use the "clean" mode of the DSL100HR or DSL100H Classic Gain Channel.
    I just figured that "crunch" mode mod to the DSL20CR would be extensive and that dropping in an insert jack for an Overdrive pedal into the path of the Classic Gain Channel would be simpler.
    It sounds perfect to me.
    I can get the Classic Gain Channel of the DSL20CR sounding the way I want by using on of my many Tube Overdrive pedals.
    I just don't have enough feet to cut the OD off when I switch to the Ultra Gain Channel.
    Leaving the OD on all the time is not an option, because I do not like those results.
    THANK ALL OF YOU for continuing to take part in this thread.
    LoL, if we can get this done the DSL20CR will be given a new life.
    I know I could have gotten a DSL40CR that has the "crunch" mode on the Classic Gain Channel, but I don't want one of those, I have 2 DSL100 amp heads.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. Elliot Twist

Elliot Twist Member

FYI : On this DSL20CR I'm running the gain knob on the Classic Gain Channel on 10.
    If there's was a way to run it on 20 or even more that would probably do it.
    I don't need a very clean sound ever.
    Most of my guitars have 2 humbuckers with a single coil in the center, I can get a clean sound from the single coil when I need it.
    Maybe there's a way to change the gain pot on the DSL20CR Classic Gain Channel and get a ton more out of it ?
    Replacing the preamp tubes is not the answer.
    I've been through all that with the highest gain preamp tubes available.